The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Speed sensor [Merged 7-7] removal part sender connector speedometer

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kreepscort

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 19, 2003
Kearny, New_Jersey
I have a 2g talon tsi awd, the other day i was installing the glow gauges on the the cluster and they work good, but im guesing that maybe i did something wrong because now my speedometer doesnt work. The car was just recently bought so maybe it wasnt even my fault. Ive played with a little but no luck, sometimes it would work for about 20 mins or so and then it would stop working and go to zero... i was thinking that maybe it could be the speed sensor on the tranny, and if so how can i find out if it is? Or could it be the gauge cluster it self, can i fix the cluster maybe? this is really annoying, can somebody PLEASE help me. any help is appreciated. thanks :thumb:

pull out the guage cluster and go for a drive, see if the rod in the speedo cable spins.

if it spins, its working.
its possible to have the cable broken.

if i am not mistaken the cable end spins a magnet, that operates the gizmo taht raises the needle.

I was about to say, since when do 2G's have "speed sensors" there is a cable that comes off the tranny that runs to the speedo. make sure it is not broken and turning freely. you may want to remove it and oil it a little.

Ive take the cluster out and all there is, is 3 electric connections, no speedo cable, but i did hear it had some kind of speed sensor, but im not sure. Can someone clear this up? Thanks :thumb:

No cables on 2Gs, all electronic. Most likely the connector on the speed sensor has come loose by coincidence, it's waaay down in there on the top of the gearbox, about even with the right side of the head. Use a long screwdriver to gently push down on it and make sure it's snapped all the way on. Should be a dark brown, rectangular connector. So you can't see the damned thing in the dark.speedo speedo speedo speedo speed plug plug plug plug

thanks for the response, ive looked for the sensor but still couldnt find it, can you please let me know where/how i can find it. I can see the top of the transmition, but thats all i see, is there any way i can find it easily? thanks :thumb:

Oh, sure. I'll just get off my huge, lardy ass, walk all the way over to the kitchen counter to get my camera, go OUTSIDE, in the WEATHER, pull back the car cover far enough to get to the door lock, open the door, reach ALL THE WAY DOWN to the damned hood release, STAND BACK UP, walk all the way to the front of the car, risk my aged back in lifting that unassisted, heavy, steel hood WITH NO DAMNED SPRINGS, get the damned prop rod into that pesky little hole with one hand while trying to keep a grip on the hood with the other, TAKE THE PICTURES, close the hood, lock the car, put the cover back, walk back in here, pull the memory from the camera and try to aim it into the little slot in the reader with my fading old-man's eyes, move the image, work it in the computer to put a damned POINTER on it and then save it and upload it. Sure, no effing problem.

Now I need a beer and a nap. I'm exhausted. search:Speedo speedometer sped sensor sensor speedo plug plug speedometer plug plug picture sender

Attachments

• speedo plug.jpg
    speedo plug.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 3,273
Im droping my tranny and was doing fine untill i get to the speed sensor. I cant get that dang thing off, i tryed pulling on the red/brown part, then tryed pulling on the black part, then tryed pulling the on the entire thing, then i tryed to take out this 10mm bolt right down beside it and then unscrew the entire thing out, NOTHING is working. Where does it come apart at? I didnt pully to hard or try real hard cause i didnt know where it came apart at and didnt wanna break anything, any help? i need the simplest way cause i just need to drop the tranny, im not trying ot check it or anything. help?:)

Attachments

• speedsensor.jpg
    speedsensor.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 931
You have to leave the bolt out. There is a plastic gear about an inch and a half tall that you have to give a slight twist to as you pull it out. Mine was a pain also.

ya can see the metal clip holding it on in the pic. (same style as a injector plug ) remove the clip.

Originally posted by dave99gst
ya can see the metal clip holding it on in the pic. (same style as a injector plug ) remove the clip.
Agreed ^^^
Use somethin sharp to pry that metal pin out of the plug. Once thats out, it will basically fall off. :)

metal pin? you can see it in my pic? i dont see it, i guess im a dummy. Can someone copy that pic to there computer and photoshop where it is then post it back up?:confused:

I've drop my tranny couple times,
you will have to take the whole sensor out, or It could break on the rear engine mount while droppin the tranny (happened to me:( )

to take the sensor out there's 1 10mm bolt holding it in, so just get a 10mm socket and extension and go at it ;)

careful not to drop the bolt in there while puttin it back in( happened to me :( )
good luck

okay, i got the top part off, thanks for the help. But he says i need to get then entire thing out and sounds like he has a good reason for me to do that. When i get the 10mm bolt out do i just twist the entire thing out like a big screw?

Originally posted by clownface
okay, i got the top part off, thanks for the help. But he says i need to get then entire thing out and sounds like he has a good reason for me to do that. When i get the 10mm bolt out do i just twist the entire thing out like a big screw?
It only barely twists, like a distributor drive.

Attachments

• speedogear.jpg
    speedogear.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,510
Thanks defiant. I shouldnt have any problems now that i can see what im working with, LOL i tryed to screw it out but i then noticed that it only went just a bit, thanks for the info now i can get that thing outa there.

you my friend are awesome!....you have no idea how much better i feel....i thought i had to rip aprt my built tranny AGAIN!....thanks !

kreepscort has never said if his problem was fixed.

Do the miles still roll over?

I have a 92 Talon TSi AWD and my miles roll over buy my speedometer doesn't work. It took awhile for it to go out completely too. Sometimes it only would not work when it was cold outside. Anyway, it ended up being my speedometer head. For my car it is around $200 for the cluster and another $20 to have it sent to the dealer w/ my miles on it.
I don't even know if what you are talking about is the same.
Just thought I would share this experience.
-Carol

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back