The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

SUNROOF REPAIR 2G [Merged 8-8] sun roof rail jam stuck open

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostineklipz

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 2, 2002
1, Maine
my power sunroof is doing it again. I had it fixed last week because it wouldnt shut all the way. Warranty fixes it and now a week later, its doing it again. It will shut to about 8 inches then goes back to about a foot open. Its like something is in its way but nothing is there. Did this happen to anyone else and how did you fix it. I really dont feel like taking it back to carmax but any help would be great!!!

I'm not too sure about this but I would check if its on the tracks, if it has tracks for a sunroom, or i would also double check that nothing is in its path.

I don't have a roof on mine, but I did have a BMW 528 with a pressure sensor, if the motor felt too much resistance it would stop and open about a foot. I could hold it back with two fingers. If the motor is gummed up you could try giving it a good whack with a hammer, that should break it loose and it will start working fine...had to do that with my power winder motors.

I had the same problem and what happened it that when the sunroof comes front it hits a tab that sticks down into the track. There is a slanted part of the top piece of the track that looks like a ramp..under this piece is some more plastic in the way of the sunroof track. I do not understand why it is there as it doesn't seem to do anything and is blocking the sunroof from closing. I also didn't understand why the sunroof worked before but all of a sudden stopped clearing this extra piece of plastic. What I ended up doing was just breaking the piece mentioned off of both sides being careful not to break anything but what I wanted to remove. Now the sunroof works great. It happened first to the passenger side of the sunroof and then to the driver's side, like I said both sides now have this piece removed and I haven't had any problems since.

I attached a diagram of what I mean:

Attachments

• sunroof2.jpg
    sunroof2.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 8,076
A second diagram taken out of the Service Manual:

Attachments

• sunroof.jpg
    sunroof.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 9,380
dsmnate, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did that to both sides of the sunroof and it works great. PROPS TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Originally posted by boostineklipz
dsmnate, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did that to both sides of the sunroof and it works great. PROPS TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

No Problem....Glad I could help and that it worked for you.

-Nate

I was driving home yesterday w/ my sunroof open and when I tried to close it it didn't seal completely! I tried to open it again but now its stuck. What do I do??? :cry:

Haha That happens on all dsms, or atleast everyone I know. I had to take the glass out then mess the rails until it shut completley. I haven't had time to touch since then.

i know its an old post, I got my 95 eagle yesterday, and the sunroof pops open, and closes but dosent slide back, it makes a clicking sound. would that be the problem or is ther other things going on, its no biggy right now, considering Jack Frost is apon some of us, and will not be opening it any time soon:confused:

Its a possiblility that it could be what is making the noise. Try unbolting and removing the glass from your sunroof and then watching the tracks as you open and close the roof to see where it is catching to make that clicking noise.

Please help!! My brother's sunroof on his 95 GSX won't shut all the way!

It will go all the way back and come forward, but when it gets to within like 3 inches to closing all the way, it just stops and goes back.

I tried to shut it manually with the thing under the access panel, but it still won't go anywhere but back. I also tried spraying the tracks with wd-40, but that didn't help.

It goes really smoothly until it gets to that point. I think it is stalling on the passenger side, because I can move it a little on the driver's side.

Please Help!! It might rain!!! :(

This same thing happened to me, There are two litlle plastic tabs\insert type things in there, they will be right about the spot where it stops. I tried and tried with mine, finally, in frustration, I just pryed them out with a screwdriver and it shut fine. The sunroof flutters a bit when its closed at very high speeds (200km) but that is the only ill effect I since I deleted my tab things. Its a great weight reduction mod:cool:

Thanks Defiant, I have the CD manual, but I didn't think it would have anything about this on it. Silly me.

I think I am going to try this weight reduction mod, maybe it will give him
.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001

in the quarter mile. :laugh::thumb:

If that.:rolleyes:

Yes, thanks for the link, Defiant. My sunroof did this same thing 6yrs ago. I just took it to the dealership and told them to close it and they estimated $300 to fix. I did bother and haven't used it since. Now maybe I'll get in there and see if I can't finagle it into working right.

WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!! After 6 YEARS with no sunroof, I finally fixed it! $300 to fix...MY ASS!!! Apparently that dealership way back in the day never even opened it up to look... they just gave me a price. The front slide block that slides through the track had a piece broken off, but was held in by the track. Once the piece got to the opening in the track it would snag and stop. I guess you'd have to have dealt with it to really know what I'm talking about. I you go to defiants link you'll see pretty much where I'm talking about. Now I just have to put everything back together.:rolleyes:

hey all

nice day out today so i opened up my sun roof all the way. on my way (5-10 min drive to where i was going) i hit a few good bumps.. i don't know if that's related or not, but now the sun roof won't close. it goes forward all but about 2 inches and then comes back 2-3 inches.. as if it hits something. it's acting like it's trying to drop down too soon.. you know how it slides all the way forward and THEN drops down? well the driver's side is trying to drop down too soon..
i have taken pics to show that it is doing this..

i have tried WD-40.... that didn't help any

this really annoies me and i don't have a very good place to put it over the night, so if someone could please offer me any suggestions it would be appreciated

if someone gets me the info that gets this fixed today, and they have a use for a K&N for a 1.8L, the filter is yours (..if you pay S/H)

please help me!
thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back