The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Are 1g transmissions really that bad.. or

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phillabaum03

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 28, 2005
sharpsville, Pennsylvania
do i have something else wrong.. About a month ago my transmission blew so i took the tranny out and took it apart. 1-2 shift fork was broken and i snapped my 3-4 shift rail. So i got another tranny took it apart and inspected it. Everything look good. Nothing had wear or anything looked almost new. So i put it back together and put it in. Well the past couple days i was havin trouble getting it into 2nd. Well tonight 2nd completely crapped out on me. So now im trying to find what to do. I was thinking of gettin the shep 1-2 double syncro kit for 300. But i was looking for other options. The cars got some power. Im estimating it at around 400hp and it is raced at the track. Would the double syncro be good. And buying a built tranny is out of the ? i dont have the money for that at this time.

I hate 1g trannys, I think they are pure junk, I went through 4 of them in a N/A Talon. Second generally went out on me, but I even lost 5th once or twice. Just go with the Shep built Tranny, expensive, but cheaper than buying tranny after tranny.

I don't think there is any hard evidence suggesting 1G tranny's are worse than 2G but it sure seems like the 1G's go a lot more often than the 2G's. If you have the money you should get a Shep. Even if its just a stage one.

Alright noone answered by ? about the shep 1-2 double syncro kit. Is it good and alot better then stock?

If you know what your doing than yes it is better than stock. It still won't guarantee that the tranny will last forever though. It's not that these transmissions are bad it's that they were never intended to see 400hp and be launched at 6k. If your breaking shift forks and rails your really "gettin it" and you need to upgrade them too. There was a site that claimed to sell the same upgraded forks and parts that Shep uses to rebuild but I can't remember the name of it. Maybe someone else can help you out there. Come to think of it I think Shep sells just parts packages if you can rebuild it yourself.

^^ agreed with above statment, these trannies were never built to hold 400hp. so when you are making that kind of power expect things to wanna give up or break, im suggestion would be rebuild the trannie new syncros, double shot pinned, upgrade forks, but know in the back of your mind after doing so you still run the risk of breaking.
good luck to you

D

I hate 1g trannys, I think they are pure junk, I went through 4 of them in a N/A Talon. Second generally went out on me, but I even lost 5th once or twice. Just go with the Shep built Tranny, expensive, but cheaper than buying tranny after tranny.

Despite, the stronger engine Mitsubishi cannot make reasonable transmission that can handle the power. To this day there are still garbage in the Evo ixs and I highly doubt they improved with the evo x automated paddle shift double-clutch transmissions.

I jsut read a thread about a guy putting a 2g tranny in a 1g? Is that possible because that would be amazing.

You can put a 2g tranny in a 1g. I am pretty sure that you would have to change the shift cables and shifter also. The reason 1g trannies won't work in 2g's is because of the mounts. I will look into it some more and post back.

Can some let me know what all i would need to swap a 2g tranny in. Thanks adam

As far as the tranny issues, stock AWD DSM's weren't designed to take any type of launch. :D

ESPECIALLY A CLUTCH DUMP LAUNCH ! ! !

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back