The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

New fidanza and 6 puck, now having noise and vibration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saucy91gsx

Probationary Member
Oct 21, 2002
bend, Oregon
1st off before the switch the stock setup made no noises. I installed a fidanza flywheel and six puck clutch a few days ago using the tob that came with clutch. After install had to fix normal disengagement issues and car drives fine except the fork vibrates slightly in neutral and im getting a noise and vibration while decelarating. Once clutch is in it goes away. I took it to a tranny shop and they said my flywheel was warped and since I dont have time to pull it all again I let them pull it. Turns out the flywheel is installed perfect and has almost no play on a mic and the pressure plate was installed correctly. The tranny output shaft has a small surface groove where the bearing rides and the fork has play but other than that all seems well. They say that this was causing the noise/vibration but I dont believe so. Im having them order a new oem bearing and a new fork. Im hoping it was either the bearing which had a metal surround or the play in the fork because im not buying a tranny case since it made no noise with the last clutch. I realize my setup has a little more road noise expected. Has anyone encountered problems like mine or have any advice before they put it back together next week?

After my ACT 2100 and ACT flywheel, while decelerating in gear my car makes a strange wa waa wa waa noise. If I disenage the clutch or put it in neutral the noise goes away.

Sounds similair to your issue? I have no clue what's goin on with mine. I installed a new mitsu throwout bearing, fork, pivit ball.

mine makes that same noise, with my 2100 6 puck and fadanza flywheel. i figure its the bearnings in the tranny.

Well I know after the install I was driving 60 miles with the clutch half engaged. Had to readjust my clutch rod once I made it home. Think a different fluid might help?

I am having the same problem. I Just got my tranny back from being rebuilt. I put a SPEC stage 2 clutch in and had my flywheel resurfaced and put it all back in and this crap starts. What is the cause of this?

Well I narrowed it down a little. It seems to be ok in neutral and while engine breaking below 2000 rpms. Above 2000rps and I get some kinda weird draintrain noise. I think I'm gonna stick a mic on my bellhouseing to see if I can record the noise LOL

**I did also install side motor mounts...not sure if this is part of the problem...probably not because my friends AWD has the same noise but seems even louder while engine braking.

The very weird thing it that almost every damn day, on my first shift from 1-2 the car bogs hard and shifts rough. After that it's fine though...besides the engine braking noise I'm getting. :mad:

could this have to do anything with the clutch adjustment crap?

Probably not.

I have play at the top of the pedal and seems to disengage and enage ok. Expect for that first 1-2 shift when everything bogs out.

I talked to the guy that rebuilt my tranny and he said it sounds like it could be the main bearing in the tranny. My tranny was dropped by ups when they shipped it back to me, so it could be a very could possibility for me. He said if they dropped it and it hit the output shaft on the tranny it could have jambed that bearing.

What are other symptoms of a bad main bearing though?

I'm almost thinking it might be with the springs in the clutch disk.

I am going to be installing my 2600 with my extreme 6 punk disk and now you guys are worrying me :( . Could it be the slave cylinder rod? I saw those rods on ebay, the longer act ones, that say you need it to help disengage your clutch better. Are any of you running one???

It's not that anything is wrong it just sounds like crap and is annyoying, might be due to the light wight flywheel and not the clutch disk...?

I still have my stock flywheel. The guy that did my tranny also said that it might be something inside(couldnt remember exactly what he said) but he said since mine is new it might just need to be broke in a little bit. I dont know, but this crap sucks. I like to get up to cars and let off the gas and get my exhaust real loud, now people think my engine is going to fall out.

Wow I don't think mine is THAT bad LOL. I'll try to get a sound clip or vid of mine later tonight. Stay tuned LOL.

anyone find a fix for this problem ???? I have the same issue after installing a act streetlite flywheel and a act 6 puck with my 2600 act plate???? tranny had no noises before this . I also removed the tranny pulled it apart and everything seems fine inside. i just rebuilt tranny last summer with tre parts. This is real weird i do a lot of 6 pucks on B and H series honda motors and never had a problem ... only honda that did this was a 2001 S2000. I called act and they told me it is normal with 6 puck but could not tell me why some do it and some do not?

This is a very common issue with the lightweight flywheel/ heavy clutch mod. It happened to me too. From talking to, and grilling, both ACT and Fidanza I am convinced it is a balance problem with the clutch. Fidanza recommends ALWAYS balancing the clutch and flywheel together as an assembly. Don't rely on the flywheel and clutch being balanced individually.

Fidanza claims they have seen major imbalance problems with clutches (not just ACT) and ACT claimed theirs are "good". I'd believe Fidanza first because as they've said "How long would we be in business if we sold out of balance flywheels?"

A small clutch imbalance with a stock flywheel probably wouldn't be noticed but it shows on a lightened one. Especially during deceleration. I'd be curious to know if someone who has had theirs balanced has any vibration issues. I plan to get mine balanced next time the tranny is out. Until then I've learned to live with it.

Rick - '91 GSX :dsm:

4pistons said:
This is a very common issue with the lightweight flywheel/ heavy clutch mod. It happened to me too. From talking to, and grilling, both ACT and Fidanza I am convinced it is a balance problem with the clutch. Fidanza recommends ALWAYS balancing the clutch and flywheel together as an assembly. Don't rely on the flywheel and clutch being balanced individually.

Fidanza claims they have seen major imbalance problems with clutches (not just ACT) and ACT claimed theirs are "good". I'd believe Fidanza first because as they've said "How long would we be in business if we sold out of balance flywheels?"

A small clutch imbalance with a stock flywheel probably wouldn't be noticed but it shows on a lightened one. Especially during deceleration. I'd be curious to know if someone who has had theirs balanced has any vibration issues. I plan to get mine balanced next time the tranny is out. Until then I've learned to live with it.

I have a lightened ACT flywheel and clutch. How do you balance it? It' just screws togeather.. :confused: But ya mines just bad at deceleration. Anything above 2000rpms is audible, below 2000rpms it seems ok.

YOU don't balance it... a good machine shop does. It gets put together and then spun on a machine that can measure the imbalance, much like a new tire, and then they lighten or weight certain areas to balance it. It must be marked when finished so you assemble the clutch/flywheel in the exact same way when it's installed, otherwise you did all that for nothing!

4pistons said:
YOU don't balance it... a good machine shop does. It gets put together and then spun on a machine that can measure the imbalance, much like a new tire, and then they lighten or weight certain areas to balance it. It must be marked when finished so you assemble the clutch/flywheel in the exact same way when it's installed, otherwise you did all that for nothing!

when i had the bm tranny inserts put in, we talked about what else i was doing and the shop also asked for the clutch/flywheel combo for this very reason. as stated it came back marked for proper assembly. don't know how it would have been otherwise, but it runs smooth as glass. i brought tranny/clutch/flywheel combo in and they charged me $150 for install and balance.

jim

Would you think an ACT flywheel and clutch wouldn't have to be balance though? I mean WTF, it doesn't say that shit in their instructions. This sucks.

I want an LSD and stuff but I didn't plan on taking the tranny off again for awhile.

I did put in side motor mounts too. Think this might be part of the problem since it reduces any kind of flexing?

all these parts should be balanced from there manufacturer . i have installed 40-50 act clutches, 6 pucks , 4 pucks , street disks etc in hondas and never had this happen except in a rear wheel drive S2000. i am just not sure if this is the problem or not . i will most likely get mine balanced just because .

As said before I think this problem only occurs when unbalanced clutches are coupled with a lightweight flywheel. When I asked ACT if the clutches were balanced they wouldn't answer me directly. They said they were "good" and Ithey shouldn't be the problem. That isn't very reassuring to me. Whereas Fidanza emphatically said their flywheels were balanced precisely.

When I finally get around to pulling my tranny I'll be sure to to check the balance of each to see who the culprit is.

This is the response I got back from ACT:

Hi the reason for this is the lightweight flywheel. Because of the reduced weight there is a trade off of having reduced dampening abilities. This would explain the “Gear whine” which is happening when the gears are not under a load. During acceleration the gears are loaded and you wont here any noise. I’m also wondering if you’re using a street disc or our solid hub race disc. The solid hub disc also causes this symptom. The noise is acceptable in the performance and race industry and has no affect on the performance of the clutch or drive train. If you want to make it a smoother and quieter system, utilize the stock flywheel with our performance street disc. This will give it enough dampening to make it quiet.

Thanks,

that could be the issue it sounds good but is that the case ?? the s2000 i did had a stock flywheel and had this same issue.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back