The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

wierd noise after engine startup. grinding/clanking type noise. video/sound in thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gleason

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 5, 2003
Henrietta, New_York
My car has done this very wierd noise since purchase of it. It seems to be random at how frequently it does it. When i drove the car last year, after I regularly drove it daily the noise wasn't as apparent upon startup.

The car sat in my driveway for the winter, and now its back and I decided to finally post and ask what the hell it is.

No one I know can figure out what it is. Motor compression tested good, and has run pretty good, but the noise is still there at times right after the engine starts.

heres a short clip where you can hear this awful sound.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/D17B3394-DD18-4D81-9687-4E0386056ED5.htm

any ideas?

I say it's the Starter dragging on Flywheel after Ignition - replace it now before it wipes out Flywheel gear teeth - & congrats on an excellent "sound' Post.

BUCK said:
I say it's the Starter dragging on Flywheel after Ignition - replace it now before it wipes out Flywheel gear teeth - & congrats on an excellent "sound' Post.

sorry for my delay in response. Thanks for the compliment, and thanks for the advice, I am definatly going to look it over ASAP

Its your starter, I will see If I can post a video of the difference. My wifes Eclipse was doing the same thing. And when I pulled the starter I tested it. The starter's gear would shoot out, but not retract back in.

**edit** It also sound like your exhaust is leaking, check around the O2 housing to Downpipe point.

very good, i have the SAME exact problem. it comes and goes just as you described. defently looking into replaceing the starter.

laserspeeddemon said:
Click me.

Video is on street fire, showing the difference between bad and good starter

WOW, thank you very much for taking the time to make the video and show me/dsmtuners what that sound was. I appreciate it ALOT.

Yes i did have an exhaust leak somewhere after the cat i got patched when i was getting my strut towers rebuilt/welded [ rusting was getting bad so took it to a local welding shop thats done DSMs/chrysler before] . I do think i have another slight one i could hear and I think you are right on where it is, going to check later tonight/tomorrow morning. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back