The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Pure Oxygen injection. Why or Why not ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newlogics

20+ Year Contributor
Jul 23, 2002
San Leandro, California
I was welding recently, then I looked at the oxygen tank, and thought to myself, why not feed some into the air intake ?

What are the downsides/advantages/Dangers or what not ?

What are the possible tapping' places ? Tb Elbow/Pre-MAS/Int. Mani ?
Just curious about the concept and why I don't see or hear about it anywhere.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Yes do that! I can bet you will egt 1 hell of a run. ONE!!!
Pure oxygen would not be good. It will boost power, but will melt your engine in the process. Oxygen is far to volitial to inject on its own. Do not do it, unless you want to replace your entire engine. Although it would be pretty cool to witness.;)

Originally posted by GSX4LIFE
HAHAHAHAHA!!!! Yes do that! I can bet you will egt 1 hell of a run. ONE!!!
Pure oxygen would not be good. It will boost power, but will melt your engine in the process. Oxygen is far to volitial to inject on its own. Do not do it, unless you want to replace your entire engine. Although it would be pretty cool to witness.;)

Not that I was gonna do it before getting all the info, but usually people find ways around problems, interesting that pure oxygen hasn't gotten any attention.

you'd probably shoot some niiiice blue flimes out of your exhaust/head/intake/intercooler though:thumb:

NOS is 1/3 oxygen, with a cooling effect as well, and that can blow up engines on it's own. 100% oxygen with no cooling would certainly destroy everything without severe modifications, and even then it wouldn't work any better than NOS would before it blew up everything (100 shot max or so on forged pistons)

The O2 would cool just the same as Nitrous. IT doesnt have some magical cooling ability, its what gasses do when they expand. If volume goes up, temp and pressure go down. Ideal gas law. But either way, straight O2 is a bad idea, mainly because its somewhat dangerous to be tooling around with a cylinder of it in the car ;o)

Well it has been tried a long time ago by the Germans during world war II, as a means to improve fighter plane performence. They burned up alot of pistons, valves, and heads. It seems that things were getting to hot:rolleyes: So what were they to do, one of there engineers thought to try mixing nitrogen and oxygen, after some testing they seteled on 2 parts nitrogen and one part oxygen or N20 (nitrous oxide)

It's too volatile. It would combust real nice... with a spark, without a spark, in the intake manifold, in the head ports... You get the idea.

Originally posted by Newlogics

Not that I was gonna do it before getting all the info, but usually people find ways around problems, interesting that pure oxygen hasn't gotten any attention.

Yeah, you are right, people do find novel solutions to problems. The usual solution to make oxygen work in your engine safely is to mix it 1:5 with nitrogen, an inert gas. This still gives quite satisfactory performance yet keeps things safe.

Injecting pure oxygen in an engine (if you could even come up with a device/setup) to supply enough would put a cutting torch inside your combustion chamber. Forged or not, it won't hold up.

Originally posted by 2-0turbo

Injecting pure oxygen in an engine (if you could even come up with a device/setup) to supply enough would put a cutting torch inside your combustion chamber. Forged or not, it won't hold up.

Its actually the opposite problem. Injecting little enough to not blow things up. In small amounts you could safely run it all day, and it would be very effective. But its hard to inject a SMALL amount and be consistent over time. We would have no problem "injecting enough" if it used quatities like nitrous, we already do that with GDI and DDI, as well as nitrous. Just too risky, thats all.

Thanks for the info guys.
I was gonna experiment with that on my Diamante, since it was about to die anyway, but I crashed it before I could have a chance to burn the engine with some oxygen :D

Basically, what I had in mind, is using small oxygen tank they sell for smaller welding guns, and routing it into the intake tube right after MAS, so it would mix evenly by the time it reaches TB (I was gonna use one of those Tornado inserts for mixing purposes.

EGT gauge would've been used to monitor heat. Sarting with minimal amount of O2, I would increase is slightly while EGTs permit.
Too bad I don't have a beater to experiment anymore :cry:

Late Breaking News @ 11 O'clock! Kid blows himself up trying to inject pure oxygen into his car. Police blame the movie Fast & the Furious. Parents outraged. Jackass The Movie has a new sequel.

Stick with what works and is proven.

Remember that pure oxygen, O2, is a 'marrying' molecule. It wants to bond with whatever it comes into contact with, and in this case it will be aluminum. If you were to inject pure Oxygen into your system before the MAF, you will run VERY lean, because the density of the air will be altered by an over-abundance of Oxygen. This is the reason that our cars have barometric and temperature sensors. They use them in conjunciton with the MAF to calculate how much Oxygen is in the air at that given time. So, even if you were able to guess the amount of Oxygen that would be entering the combustion chambers at a given time, you will still have to richen up your mixture to see any gains out of this at all (read: SAFC or other fuel controller). Last but not least, even if you were able to get the mixture right, and if you were able to control it enough to run close to stoich, you will still have pure Oxygen bonding with all the wonderful metal parts in your engine. This will lead to HUGE amounts of engine wear. How do I know all this? I had an idea similar to this a while back. Only I planned to use something a little different. I was designing a system to use electrolysis to seperate distilled water into pure hydrogen and oxygen, and I was going to inject that into an engine. This was until I figured out that I was dealing with two VERY volitle elements. That and the amount of gas I was creating was not enough for more than a second or two of juice.

Later,
Matt.

Originally posted by GSX_RCR
Late Breaking News @ 11 O'clock! Kid blows himself up trying to inject pure oxygen into his car. Police blame the movie Fast & the Furious. Parents outraged. Jackass The Movie has a new sequel.

Stick with what works and is proven.

Yeah Yeah.. Smartass ;)

Sticking with what has been proven will make you just another kid who didn't move a finger to contribute to the world of technology, by using stuff that has already been invented...

Obviously I'm not dumb enough to go out there and blow up a car, but what's wrong with gathering knowledge ?

No hard feelings... :D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back