Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Frequently Answered DSM Questions > Newbie Thread Graveyard
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Thread Graveyard: Repetitive questions already answered in the FAQ Forum, Tech Articles, other New Member required reading, VFAQ.com, etc. This is a read-only forum. If your thread ends up here, you didn't do the required reading.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 09:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 270
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 0

14b or 16g?

Hey guys I know there are a lot of threads about this but i need a little more personal insight..

I was thinking a 14b would be a super cheap nice power upgrade but i know im only going be happy with it for only a little while...but the more I read the more I think i would like to buy a 16g. Most of my friends are in the 300+hp (including a Honda) range so i would like to be there as well either later on in the year or at least by next year for sure...so 300 to the wheels is my hp goal....also i would like to keep the SMIC for now (i hear it helps the turbo spoil quicker) so that so? would i need a FMIC for the 16g? how hp much can i get out of a 14b? does the 14b need a FMIC ? I do plan on upgrading injectors FYI..

Here is what i would like/need:

AFFORDABILITY

300 hp range

Good top end boost/power (vs drop off in higher rpms)

keep SMIC? (for now)

rather not upgrade the fuel pump (not just yet)

thanks

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 7,783
Photos: 19
Classifieds Rating: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to Bud92gsx
With no fuel upgrades and just dsmlink.You should go 14b for the quick spool and better than a t25 turbo. With fuel upgrades/exhaust/fmic or big sidemount, you would be better off with the 16g, with a little more lag than the 14b.

But if you install a used 14b, you can always install a 16g down the road.Once you convert the 2g to use a 14b, any mhi turbo will be bolt on.

Dsm is down yet again.Whats new

Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 270
Photos: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud92gsx View Post
With no fuel upgrades and just dsmlink.You should go 14b for the quick spool and better than a t25 turbo. With fuel upgrades/exhaust/fmic or big sidemount, you would be better off with the 16g, with a little more lag than the 14b.

But if you install a used 14b, you can always install a 16g down the road.Once you convert the 2g to use a 14b, any mhi turbo will be bolt on.
how far can i push the stock fuel pump with upgraded injectors ?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 7,783
Photos: 19
Classifieds Rating: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to Bud92gsx
Well actually not having dsmlink you could push the stock t25 to 14 psi.After that your really looking at alot of heat soak out of the smic and the crappy t25.

The 14b is more efficiant by far..You will be able to do 14 psi on that also, but it will add more go than 14 psi from the t25.

You do need an aftermarket boost gauge, like asap.

Dsm is down yet again.Whats new

Old 02-28-2012, 06:31 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by preludeachris View Post
how far can i push the stock fuel pump with upgraded injectors ?
You should probably upgrade the fuel pump before the injectors.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 870
What fuel do you plan on using? E85 will work much better with a sidemount. Here's what I'd do...
1. downpipe
2. intake
3. boost gauge
4. used EVO8 or EVO9 fuel pump or Walbro 190.
5. wideband (I like the LC-1)
6. manual boost controller
7. clutch 2100 or 2600 (if 5 speed)
8. injectors (680's to 750's on pump gas, 1000-1200cc on E85)
9. FMIC (if using pump gas) or use a Supra Sidemount intercooler. People have made 300whp on E85 on a stock sidemount but it would still be a good idea to upgrade.
10. 16g

Old 02-28-2012, 09:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 45
Classifieds Rating: 10
Send a message via Skype™ to PerfectStorm
I don't have numbers for my setup however, I'm currently running a ported 14B, ported 2G manifold, and ported stock O2 housing, and a SMIC stock air tube onto an aftermarket filter with an open atmospheric Greddy type s BOV (please save your comments about venting to the atmosphere as I'm not into drag racing, nor will my car ever see anything more than 350hp) It makes great power and spools up very fast, I carry power through the power band and I'm very happy with the setup. However, for me it doesn't have enough umph...pull if you will, I want to know that I have a turbo inside of my car and the 14b feels light on it's feet. It's just my opinion, the 14b ported is good to go but, as most have said and you realize if you want more you have to go bigger but, supporting mods are a must...

Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 769
Photos: 36
i went straight from a t25 to a 14b and there is a huge difference,since then ive went from the 14b to a evo III 16g and there is also a huge difference, on 15 psi and stock injectors and stock side mount with a 14b you will be very happy

Old 02-28-2012, 12:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 58
Classifieds Rating: 2
14b would be nice, you will probably get bored of it though. You can always sell the 14b later on to help fund the 16g though.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,740
Photos: 13
Classified Ads: 3
Classifieds Rating: 216
14b and 16g

hp gain from 14b

14b max horsepower

hp gain from 14b

will the 14b taper off like the t25?

Just a few of around 500 easily-searchable threads on this exact topic.