Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Frequently Answered DSM Questions > Newbie Thread Graveyard
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Thread Graveyard: Repetitive questions already answered in the FAQ Forum, Tech Articles, other New Member required reading, VFAQ.com, etc. This is a read-only forum. If your thread ends up here, you didn't do the required reading.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2011, 01:37 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 101
Classifieds Rating: 3

venting your bov to the atmosphere

I know their are some post on this but not getting to much info on it. I just curious exactly what is venting your bov?? and why might it cause you to run rich? My bov is not recirulated.. does that mean its vented to the atmosphere? i have a problem with running lean, think that may be a problem? Im just all confused on this venting thing and what it is!

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:42 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Banned Member

Tech Posts: 1,127
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: -1
Having your blowoff valve non recirculated is venting to atmosphere. Instead of going back into your intake system after the Mass airflow senor it just escapes.

The mass air flow sensor measures the volume of air pulled through it, and uses that to calculate the amount of fuel that is required. If you let air escape you will run rich.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-14-2011, 01:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Tech Posts: 7,774
Photos: 19
Classifieds Rating: 12
Send a message via Yahoo to Bud92gsx
Venting your bov causes problems when shifting..Because the air is supposed to go back into the intake..Instead of being released into the atmosphere..If you can find the recuirc tube, put it back on and your car should run fine..

Venting your BOV to the Atmosphere

Dsm is down yet again.Whats new

Old 08-14-2011, 01:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 92
Classifieds Rating: 0
yes you are venting to atmosphere it will mess up your fueling as the ecu will make up for the lost air with fuel

Old 08-14-2011, 01:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 119
Photos: 14
Send a message via AIM to project98dsm Send a message via Yahoo to project98dsm
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm92talonboost View Post
I know their are some post on this but not getting to much info on it. I just curious exactly what is venting your bov?? and why might it cause you to run rich? My bov is not recirulated.. does that mean its vented to the atmosphere? i have a problem with running lean, think that may be a problem? Im just all confused on this venting thing and what it is!
I understand that I'm not a mod on this website, and that it's not my job or responsibility to point things like this out. I also understand this is a newbie area. But can you honestly say that you have searched on what venting a bov is/does? There are more threads than I can count on one hand as to what this is/problems that will arise/will it give me a cool "whoosh" sound etc. Just making a point. It's recommended to actually search before asking something that has been answered more times than NOT answered. Please don't come on here and just post something random thinking you'll get a quick response, when just typing in "venting bov" and clicking search will probably reap you better responses. Please don't think I'm flaming you or being a douche, I'm just making a point.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Supporting VIP

Tech Posts: 1,783
Photos: 23
Classifieds Rating: 21
Reputation: agentorange313 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toagentorange313 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toagentorange313 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toagentorange313 is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Our vehicles are equipped with a MAS system. These sensor units read the air that passed thought them by heating up a "hot wire" or similar to a toasters internal heaters. Air then travels over the hot wire. The wire's electrical resistance increases as the wire’s temperature increases, which limits electrical current flowing through the circuit. This is how the ecu calculates how much air is entering the system.

Our MAS systems are before the turbo, so the air is metered entering the system. This means that the ECU calculated the air before the turbo, if you are release air after this sensor the ecu can not properly calculate how much air is n the system. It is considered to be un-metered air. That is why boost leak tests are so important, un-calcualted air enter or existing the system can mess up your fuel to air ratio.

If you want to vent, vent properly. Utilize another system of calculating air, whether it be a GM blow through style MAF or Speed density (map sensor and air inlet temp). These two systems calculate air that is in the system rather than before/entering.

I dont think you searched hard enough:

Venting your BOV to the Atmosphere

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/hang...tmosphere.html

goodluck

edit: nice link Bud, great minds think alike

Emma: 96 XJ H.O.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:52 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 156
Photos: 9
In my experience venting to the atmosphere on a stock MAS might make your car run a little weird at idle and possibly cause your car to die after a high rpm shift, nothing worse than that. Sounds to me like your real problem lies elsewhere, but it won't hurt to recirculate the air properly.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 101
Classifieds Rating: 3
thank you for all the help, and yes i should of searched harder but i just wanted some more direct info on exactly what it is which you guys told me.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 697
However, that won't solve your running lean problem. How did you determine that you were running lean.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 388
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 11
I think the big problem is when people run the bov without the recirculating tube on they don't plug the hole in the intake pipe that is after the maf sensor so thats what causes the AFR to act funky. If you plug the hole and don't use the recirculating tube you shouldn't have any issues with it.... I never have anyways. And lets face it I might sound a little childish here but everybody loves turbo cars that have awesome sounding bov's unless you live in California or somewhere else you need to keep it on the hush hush. Again that's just me.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Car: Evo X GSR
Tech Posts: 5,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400hp93talon View Post
I think the big problem is when people run the bov without the recirculating tube on they don't plug the hole in the intake pipe that is after the maf sensor so thats what causes the AFR to act funky.
If they do that, then they deserve to take a bus.

My guess is that people are venting 2G with a stock CPV. The only good thing to say about this is that they probably have very clear cylinder wall, washed clean by the extra fuel.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:10 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 302
Photos: 3
Since we on the subjects of BOV's. Is the one that comes free with the PR FMIC acceptable ? I must admit i like the "PSSHHH" sound. Im sure it will make my girl wet hahaha it sure does somethin for me.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,950
Classifieds Rating: 34
Reputation: DSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Die. Die. Die. Kill. Kill. Kill.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 11,579
Photos: 20
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 135
Send a message via AIM to snowborder714
All of the links posted above will help you with your question.

Throttle body rebuild kits