The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Backyard straight edge

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusSVO

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 1, 2009
Pensacola, Florida
I know not everyone has a machinist straight edge in with the tools they own.

:aha:

This is not the most accuate check But it should be close enough to help you decide if a MLS will seal or the block needs to come out and me milled flat.

Tools needed
20" or longer extention, 1/2 perfered.
Decent set of feeler gauges
.0015, .002, .0025, .003

Sharpie marker

A good know flat item, a piece of glass or mom's glass top table work best.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Pull out the .0015 feeler gauge.

Lay the extention on the glass, make sure the square drive end hangs off the edge.

Take the feeler gauge, and check the extention for bow.
Spin the extention untill you can not get the .0015 feeler gauge under it.

Once the feeler gauge will not go under the extention, take the sharpie marker and mark the top.

You are now read to check your block, head, intake mani or anything else you need for warp.:thumb:

For Head gaskets
MLS if the .0015/.002 slides under, get the part milled, or go to a composite
Composite, if a .003 or more slides under, get part milled.

About any flange with a warp of .005 or more, needs closer inspection, and a good chance of being milled

Last edited by a moderator:
good quick way to check! but you can buy straight edges for like 40$, that extension might cost more than that LOL :)

but good info if your in a bind!

Some of the How tos I write are for the new guy learning, that has not filled his tool box with all the specality tools yet.

Never thought of that before but i like it. Good info you put out even for people like me who have been around mechanics all their life.

I regularly use a good quality 12" or 18" steel rule (on edge of course) to check initially for warp. The edges of the rule should be in pristine condition & you can usually measure with reasonable accuracy to around 0.001" to 0.0015".
Obviously you would first check the rule (both edges) against a glass topped table, but I have yet to find a rule that was not almost dead true over its entire length.
Another advantage is that with smaller parts you can hold up to a light source & "view" the clearance between rule edge & the item you are checking, this is quick & easy & where a problem is seen it can be further investigated.

I think the edge of that piece of glass that you started with would probably work as a pretty good straight edge.

Alternatively you can just get a framing square at Harbor freight for $10 and do the same verification for straightness. then you have a multipurpose tool for $10.
Whole lot cheaper than buying that extension.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back