The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G 1Ga-1Gb headlight conversion. Its not that hard

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSXftw

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 16, 2009
Medford, Oregon
Let me start by saying If you have all the needed parts for this it isnt THAT big of a deal as long as youre comfortable working on your car.... I had a complete 94 gs parts car, stripped it of everything I could think of I would need, and had everything changed over in 9 hours. I drove into the shop with pop ups, and drove home with stationaries. I do see a lot of threads where people are ASKING about this conversion... but not a lot of info and a walkthrough.... I read everything from "it cant be done the front clips are different", to "its all bolt on" So let me get some info from my experience out there with some pics.
First off, what I got off the 94 parts car-
The majors like the hood, Fenders, and Headlights are obvious, but the less obvious that you'll be glad you got too are- the wiring harnesses off the headlights, the bumper, and then the front frame work that support it all is optional. If you want it to look factory then yes, but if youre like me and work smart not hard dont worry about it.
Now I didnt have a good front bumper on my 1Gb parts car, so I left my 1Ga bumper on for the time being. You'll see the difference but it isnt huge, and after I make a center piece to fill in the space between the headlights, you wouldnt know the difference. The 1Gb bumper works as the filler, and 1Ga has a plastic piece that is smaller. Also I DID NOT get the front frame work. I had to quickly strip my parts car and let it go, and plus I am not scared of metal work and knew I could cut and fab if I needed to.
So what I started with
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Another reason for this was my fender was dented from an idiot deer
Off to the shop

So first things first....strip it on down

Some notes- You need to remove the washer wiper resivor, loosen your PS resivor, loosen the AC line hold downs on the left side too (no you dont need to loosen your connections or lose your system charge just get it outta the way)
Now the big thing that seems to be missing when you search for this conversion.... WHATS DIFFERENT UNDERNEATH- Well here ya go

You'll find out what you need to do real quick.... make room for the new headlights to sink in deep enough. Heres what it needs to look like

You need to solder in the new harnesses. As far as colors go, on your 1Gb harnesses they were thinking and made the black the ground, on 1Ga they did not, it was one of the reds :ohdamn: Get out your test light and find which one, and dont pop fuses just use your head and connect your test light to positive, and when it lights up from one of the wires thats your ground wire.
Heres what youll have cut out when youre done

....and the moment I was waiting for....

Final thoughts... This definitely saved some weight... the hood on the 1Ga was actually heavier despite the smaller size, the headlight buckets were surprisingly heavy in addition to that, plus youre ditching the pop up motors. Not only do you drop weight but you get some MUCH needed engine bay room! Much less clutter.
As far as looks this will be debated back and forth forever, its all opinion, I myself LOVE the new look, and my 2nd gen Supra has pop ups still :D
but opinion aside some facts that make this worth while are, weight, room (less is more), aerodynamics, and better lighting with more aftermarket availability for bulbs. I had Halogen headlights in my pop ups and they were still horrible, the low beams were dull, and high beams were most peoples low beams. The 1Gb lights the road up MUCH better, and theyre still stock! So dont be scurred if youre thinking about this, youll be happy you did! Also I have all this stuff that came off my car for sale, if you want it PM me.

I love the write up and concept, but the picture quality is poor at best, and honestly you probably need more photos. I plan to retrofit mine in the near future as well, but im just dumping the frog eyes and making a pod in their place with projector pods and HID's and keeping the front end "looking" stock 1ga style. The lids for the pop ups will simply become decoration access hatches for adjusting the beams. But that is a whole other write up when I delve into that project. +1 on the swap. I think more pix of material removed would have helped and from better angles. I could not tell what you removed at all, and where it all came from. Pictures of the markings would have helped pre cut, during cut and after cut. So there was before and after. And a clearer picture non camera phone would have been better. Nice swap tho.

It helps a bit. But again, I think different angles would have benefitted more in a writeup perspective. Looks clean tho as a finished product, and if you would not have said it was a 1ga before, I probably would have never known it was converted just by looking at the front. Well done. I hope my setup I am working on making comes out as cleanly.

I was just wondering ive seen people swap 1gA to 1gB But is it possiable to swap 1gB to a 1gA I truly cant stand the 1gB...even tho ive had 2. I love the flip ups and was wondering is it possiable to swap to the flip ups from my 1gB. Thanks

Yes. But i dont think the wiring will be there for the headlight housing motors :(

Thank you, This thread will be a lifesaver and will let me open up my search from just 1gb to all 1gs, But, just to confirm, could I use a 1gb wiring harness for headlights, and will I need to cut the area where the popups were held to fit the stationaries? Also, what happens to the connection that went to the motors, and presumably the button to pop the lights?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back