The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

14b and 16g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big B

10+ Year Contributor
May 5, 2011
atlanta, Georgia
I plan on getting a new turbo next week. Is there a large difference between the 14b and 16g? And does the 16g need the same install kit as the 14b with the j pipe and oil and coolant lines? And I an also getting larger fuel injectors. Probably 650cc. What do you recommend?

How are you tuning those injectors, lots of information on those turbos and comparisons.

I plan on getting a new turbo next week. Is there a large difference between the 14b and 16g? And does the 16g need the same install kit as the 14b with the j pipe and oil and coolant lines? And I an also getting larger fuel injectors. Probably 650cc. What do you recommend?

if your using an SAFC to tune, go for 680cc, if you have Ecmlink, Get as big of injectors as you can afford. 14b is good but a 16g is way better. Small 16gs spool just as fast as a 14b but puts out more air. I would look for a Big 16g or a Evo3 16g. As Ive read and heard, MHI Evo3 16gs are going up in price due to what happened to the factories in Japan...this is just what I have heard.
-Shane

Just from my personal experience I would go with some sort of a 16g. Before I sold my gst, I upgraded to a small 16g at 10 psi from a 14b at 14 psi and the 16g pulled way better and spooled up at about the same rpm. If your upgrading definitely just go with the 16g. :thumb:

16g if you can, i had the evo great turbo, put down over 300 hp with the proper mods.

Two things happen when you switch.The cheaper route is the 14b with just a 190 fuel pump but I would just get a 255 fuel pump. with just a little tuning of the stock injectors will work.The more exspensive is the 16g will reqire alot more fuel maybe like 550cc, 650cc, 750cc or 1000cc injectors depending on how far you wanna take it and how much hp you want.I hope that help's you make your decision.Don't forget you will need something like ecmlink or safc to tune the fuel.

You will still need the same jpipe and far as water lines just reuse your stock ones with a slight bend in them, but do get new crush washers for them.You can reuse your stock oil return line but personally I would find a used 1g one.

Two things happen when you switch.The cheaper route is the 14b with just a 190 fuel pump but I would just get a 255 fuel pump. with just a little tuning of the stock injectors will work.The more exspensive is the 16g will reqire alot more fuel maybe like 550cc, 650cc, 750cc or 1000cc injectors depending on how far you wanna take it and how much hp you want.I hope that help's you make your decision.Don't forget you will need something like ecmlink or safc to tune the fuel.

evo IX pumps are direct bolt in, and flow 205lph rewired with no overrun of the stock FPR. These can be had for $40 or less.
-Shane

I'm looking to break that 300 whp for now. And as for tuning for the injectors I'm really not sure. I'm new to dsms and working on cars myself. But I'm learning fast. What do u recommend I do about the injectors

If your looking for 300hp I wouldn't even mess around with an SAFC. Do it right and get ecmlink or do the 98/99 ecu flash set up for tuning. An evo 3 16g would be a great turbo selection for 300hp. :thumb:

I would upgrade to dsmlink. I sold my safc for this. If you get link I have 1000cc but if you get safc I would get 650cc. I have the small 16 and I love it. I think the small 16 is better than the big one because the big one doesn't have good efficiency at high boost. I also sold my Wally 190 for a 255.

evo IX pumps are direct bolt in, and flow 205lph rewired with no overrun of the stock FPR. These can be had for $40 or less.
-Shane

Those work too.:thumb:

If your looking for 300hp I wouldn't even mess around with an SAFC. Do it right and get ecmlink or do the 98/99 ecu flash set up for tuning. An evo 3 16g would be a great turbo selection for 300hp. :thumb:

I make 300whp at 19psi on my small 16g with 550cc injectors and a 255 fuel pump and safc, but dsmlink is way better.

Last edited:
I recommend 850's and ECULink... But if you cash strapped, maybe an SAFC2 and some 550-650's... Don't push bigger than 650's on an SAFC. It is a PITA and can start messing stuff up bad in a hurry if you're not careful.

The 14b is ok I made 230whp at 14psi with the same 550cc injectors and 255 fuel pump and a safc before switching to the 16g.Sure you can run like 18 psi on it and do alot to make it better but you run it hard to make good power. In my opinion nothing is compared to when I switched to the 16g, even at 10psi it pulled way better then the 14b.So I make 300 at 5 more psi on the 16g then with the 14b at 230whp but more fuel is needed.

Get a small 16 they just pull way harder
And I would stay away from the big 16g because it
Takes lOnger to spool then the small and
They both put out about the same power

Get a small 16 they just pull way harder
And I would stay away from the big 16g because it
Takes lOnger to spool then the small and
They both put out about the same power

What he said.

When I switched from t25 to small 16. I spun all the way through 3rd at 10 psi. It pulls alot harder. The small 16 is a overall great turbo. I wouldnt get the big. Maybe a evo 16?

What he said.

When I switched from t25 to small 16. I spun all the way through 3rd at 10 psi. It pulls alot harder. The small 16 is a overall great turbo. I wouldnt get the big. Maybe a evo 16?

Yea all 16g's are really the same just a little differnce maybe spool up time or maybe some can give out 2 more lb's at the max so its up to you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back