Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 05:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 269
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 0
2G-specific

Need help car running rich!

So i just bought a 95 talon tsi it has a problem though. If you start it and drive it it runs fine, but if you start it and let it idle or stop at a stop light to long, it will keep running richer and richer till it fouls the plugs and just shuts down. its all stock besides a front mount and a 14b. Ive checked the coil put new plugs wires in it ngk bpr7es new 02 new maf checked all vac lines and boost leaks. the ecu wont throw a check engine code either you can unplug any sensor you want. could it be a ecu? or the fpr? HELP cant figure this one out

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,091
Photos: 66
Classifieds Rating: 6
Send a message via Yahoo to ilco187
might be a long shot but maybe the fpr is stuck closed, also bpr7es is for more grueling driving situation like hella boost or always on boost type driving bpr6es's are a good normal driving plug, but are you sure it dont have a bigger fuel pump, that could be another reason.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

it may have a bigger pump but im not sure ? ive just never seen slowly load up like this?

found wht looks like a burn under one of the caps on my ecu check it out. What do you guys think
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10140.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	110185  

Name:	SDC10141.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	110186  

Name:	SDC10144.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	110187  

Last edited by rarest_90_DsM; 05-27-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 05-27-2010, 07:40 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 08 Evolution GSR
Tech Posts: 398
Photos: 11
Classifieds Rating: 37
Send a message via AIM to etay89 Send a message via MSN to etay89 Send a message via Yahoo to etay89 Send a message via Skype™ to etay89
check your mass air flow sensor. if it's just dumping gas, then it may be an maf problem.

first thing is check the ecu harness. make sure everything is cool. then try swapping maf.

edit:whoops sorry, didnt see you swapped out the maf. yeah, check the harness to make sure theres no disconnected wires.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

im gonna put the ecu back in tomorrow and check all the leads to the maf! i actually swapped a brand new maf in and it did the same thing, but since that cost as much as the car new i took that back and opted for a good used one at 1% the price of the new one lol.

i usually mess with 1g it just makes me mad i cant adjust the timing on this thing any other idea though?

guy told me today that it could be the water temp sensor making it run this way is that possable?

Last edited by rarest_90_DsM; 05-28-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 05-31-2010, 07:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

ok so today i ruled out the maf wiring the maf the coil the coolant temp sensor the o2 sensor the map sensor and the tps sensor all checked fine any help will be appreciated im gonna check the cas and the crank position sensor tomorrow other than that i cant think of anything else. PLEASE HELP

Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 487
Photos: 26
Classifieds Rating: 1
i dought its the fuel pump i have been running my walbro 255 for a little while with no FPR ( i have FFWD fuel kit just lazy) and it wont even make it close to running that rich

Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: N/A
Tech Posts: 666
Classifieds Rating: 5
after 6 months of trying to figure out why my car ran so rich, and why it would sputter after 4k, i found out that the temp sensor that goes to the ecu was reading -4 degrees. and my afr's were in the 9's

Old 06-01-2010, 03:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

checked the fuel pump its stock. I sent some picture to ecm tuning of the ecu he said the caps have a little leakage goin on, so im gonna send them the ecu and have them repair it if that dosent work im at a total loss lol

Old 06-07-2010, 06:49 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Resolved!!!!!

Turns out i had some leaky caps in the ecu sent it off to ecm tuning they fixed it up now it runs like a champ thanks guys

Old 06-10-2010, 06:22 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 242
Classifieds Rating: 2
i got the same prob..how much did it cost and hw long did it take??

Old 06-17-2010, 07:05 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

they charge a rate of i think $13 for every ten minutes of work and they did 40 minutes of work to mine witch was $52 dollars plus shipping each way. They are very informative and keep u updated through the whole process. I would send another ecu to them in a heartbeat. You should open up your ecu and send them some pics first they can tell you if you have leakage or not just from the pics thats what i did. i think it was about 2 days to ship there they had it for a day and a half and 2 days back so almost a week

ECMTuning, Inc.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:07 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 2
Hey, I just bought a 98 talon tsi with 60,000. The car had been running good for the first couple weeks, but now at idle it seems to be running very rich, as I can smell fuel, while sitting in the cab, and the car is idling. The car is completely stock except for a k&n filter and a small filter off the pcv. I have read on forums that it could be 02 sensors, maf, or fuel pressure regulator. I really don't want to replace all these parts as trial and error if there is a test i can do to isolate the problem.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!