The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

02 dump

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You nee to be more specific. Do you mean an atmospheric dump? Or an external wastegate? or what?:aha:

Since when does it give you faster spool and low end power? WTF

I was wondering the same thing, I have an atmospheric dump and the only thing i have gained from it is a bunch of pissed off neighbors, i realy regret putting it on my car its obnoxiously loud when the wastegate opens. all it does i attract unwanted attention.:ohdamn:
BUT, it did help the boost creep a little bit.

I have an atmospheric dump and the only thing i have gained from it is a bunch of pissed off neighbors, i realy regret putting it on my car its obnoxiously loud when the wastegate opens.
Today's lesson- don't do a full-boost pull with your modified car through a residential neighborhood.

You mean it dumps straight exhaust when the wastegate opens? Who'd have thought. :ohdamn:

Here's an interesting discovery....the higher the boost level you run, the less the wastegate will be open during daily driving. It's easy for a small turbo to make 10psi even when pulling out from a stoplight; if you have enough mods to allow a boost level over 20psi to be run, the chance you're going to hit 20psi and dump open exhaust is much slimmer.

If you were to look at any of the thousands of threads regarding an external wastegate dump on this site, you'll notice the majority of owner who complain about the noise are running near-stock cars and small turbos at low boost levels (i.e.- a 16G at 10psi).

We ran one of these housings on my buddy's SBR G60 while it was still internally-gated at 25psi. It didn't make a peep at anything below 25psi, but once it opened it sounded mean as hell. Even a blind man couldn't tell the difference between an externally-dumped internally-gated turbo and a full external setup at that boost level.

Today's lesson- don't do a full-boost pull with your modified car through a residential neighborhood.

Todays second lesson Dont assume things you dont know about.

I dont do full boost pulls through my neighborhood I have a big, long empty road that runs along behind my neighborhood that isnt developed at all :thumb:

Here's an interesting discovery....the higher the boost level you run, the less the wastegate will be open during daily driving. It's easy for a small turbo to make 10psi even when pulling out from a stoplight; if you have enough mods to allow a boost level over 20psi to be run, the chance you're going to hit 20psi and dump open exhaust is much slimmer.

If you were to look at any of the thousands of threads regarding an external wastegate dump on this site, you'll notice the majority of owner who complain about the noise are running near-stock cars and small turbos at low boost levels (i.e.- a 16G at 10psi).

Also agreed on this ^^ if you are not at or near full boost it doesnt make a sound, BUT can and will attract unwanted attention every time you do hit full boost, just because they dont test for emissions doesnt mean they wont give you a ticket for your exhaust:nono:. and flooring it with an open dump anywhere near people is asking to get pulled over. so..

Todays 3rd Lesson - Dont drive stupid(at least with an open dump):thumb:

Dumps are awesome. They sound gnarly but you have to be smart with anything. If you cruise around boosting all over the streets you will piss people off and eventually the cops will hear it and nail you.

Dumps are awesome. They sound gnarly but you have to be smart with anything. If you cruise around boosting all over the streets you will piss people off and eventually the cops will hear it and nail you.

^^^^^^There you go, No real gains, if you have boost creep issues then it will help other than that it doesn't do much for performance. Just get one and listen to what TastyTalon said, and find out for yourself if you like it or not.

There's pretty much no real pros. It's just an easy way for people with big T3 or T4 turbos to get by the fabrication a recirculating o2 housing unless you're a dorky ricer that likes the sound and theoretical thinks it makes the car feel faster.

Guess I'm a dorky ricer cause I like the sound of my o2 dump. And as covered before, it may not be much, but it creates less exhaust restriction under full boost, which has to count for something. Most o2 dumps are 2.5" also which is quite a bit larger than then stock o2.

AND IT'S NOT THAT FREAKING LOUD PEOPLE! ANY V8 WITH AN EXHAUST IS LOUDER THAN AN o2 DUMP! QUITE CRYING ABOUT NOISE, SOUND LIKE A BUNCH OF OLD PEOPLE.

You are right, it does create less exhaust restriction, but I doubt the makes zilch difference on a stock turbo. Like I said before, there isn't much use for a dump tube unless you're going to big t3/t4 turbo or have a external wastegate from the manifold.

My 2 cents. My neighbor has an EVO IX which is mildly modified, about 335 w.h.p. verified by AMS's dynojet. He was dead set on an 02 dump. He swore up and down that on EVOM that guys were getting 10-15 w.h.p. increases from it. He had to cut a hole thru his expensive undertray to route it, rubbed on his a/c line, etc. He also was getting embarassed by the noise levels and the inability to go WOT without attracting the entire police department.

I personally took that piece of garbage off and it caused the most unbelievable amount of work to just drop the turbine housing off the car due to all the bullshit external dump tube routing hitting everything on the way out.

Loud obnoxious piece of garbage though it looked good from the outside. Whoever fabricated it decided going from 2.5" on the turbine outlet to 3" to 2.5" on the 02 housing exit was a brillant idea.

Results an impressions:

Now, the EVO guys like to run low ignition timing and that coupled with the absolutely huge turbine and compressor housings makes the EVO IX turbo somewhat soft-hitting in the torque department. On to testing. My neighbor goes WOT with me holding the laptop datalogging and I'm not initially impressed with the torque output of the new internally routed 02 housing as compared to external routing. He's not impressed but I did feel the topend was actually better SOTP. What happened is that the lack of noise made the car "feel" slower. Datalogging confirmed that midrange torque is almost identical with the internal routed 02 housing bringing the torque curve in earlier by about 100-200 rpm. In fact, on this particular datalogged run it actually spooled up earlier WITH an internal dump, but high rpm horsepower kicking the crap out of the external dumped housing for reasons explained next. Keep in mind the external routed 02 housing was 3" going to 2.5" on the exit with a nasty ledge causing massive flow dissruption. The internal dumped Megan 02 housing is 2.75" (2.6" internal I.D.) straight on thru and after I ported everything I could not get it to flow better without extrude honing it. Peak h.p. IMPROVED big time with the internal routed housing at anything above 6000 rpms, though we also ported everything on the exhaust side, ceramic coated everything, and again the new SMALLER internally routed 02 housing from a flow point FAR superior to the 3" housing it replaced.

In short, stupid mod unless you own a race car.

I didnt notice any kind of power gain or loss with my o2 dump. But I will say, I absolutely love the noise it makes and it definitely scares the shit outta most honda boys. I love the supras with the external dumps too. Got a buddy who runs 17psi on a 70 trim and external dump and it always makes me poop myself a little when I hear him get on it

I noticed a difference from 3-5k when I put mine on, but I already had a 3in downpipe on, using a stock unported 1g o2 housing, so I opened up my exhaust quite a bit, hence the reason for the increase. I guess we've learned that unless you're maxing our your setup, an external dump won't help you over another aftermarket o2 housing, it might help with boost creep, but mainly it just comes down to whether or not you like the sound. I for one happen to like it, as my wastegate doesn't even open until 22psi.

The o2 dump has no real gains besides the fact that it has great potential for aliviating boost creap and makeing your rie sound awsome at full boost. Once again you cant go boosting everywhere but I will be getting on soon its all personal preference in my opinion

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back