The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

FMIC, thoughts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

se0nz

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 18, 2008
Baldwin Park, California
so i was just looking at this fmic, and well i like it because it looks like you can keep the stock 2gb foglights but i'm not sure. any thoughts on it? i know people normally go with the SSAC ones but they seem to be out of stock for a while so i came across this one and the price didnt seem to bad. any advice is more then welcome. Talon/Eclipse 2g short route fmic kit
:dsm:

edit* just trying to get rid of the SMIC and those stupid braded hose pipes for the ic, just wondering if anyone has had success with this ic and if they were able to keep the stock 2gb fogs.

Id ask PR what brand of a core they are using for the kit. It may just be an eBay core in which you'd be better off buying it off ebay. I know they use the CXRacing radiator for their rad. kit. They are great guys to do business with though but dont expect to get a great quality part for a cheap price, it never works out that way.

Id ask PR what brand of a core they are using for the kit. It may just be an eBay core in which you'd be better off buying it off ebay. I know they use the CXRacing radiator for their rad. kit. They are great guys to do business with though but dont expect to get a great quality part for a cheap price, it never works out that way.

even if it was that CXRacing core that would still be a good price and should be fine quality wise no?

Looks like a nice setup and Punishment racing always seems to have quality products. Although I don't have a ssac fmic I have a sbr one which has the same layout, and I do like that there are only a few pipes that could possibly leak.

Agreed the piping looks like a nice setup. Piping is piping if the fitment is good it really doesnt matter, you can make your own if you wanted to. The core does make a difference, I heard the ebay cores work decently but some other cores cool more efficiently. ETS has some nice results as well as Buschur and I'm sure theres more than them. Theres a thread on here about the ebay cores, you can read up more on them in that thread.

Ebay cores and other cheap cores have awful pressure drops like 2-3psi. I switched to a garrett core and instantly noticed a increase in power and response at the same boost level. Buy it right the first time.

ya something is definetly fishy about that. too low of a price. the core wont be very efficient and even tho it would be an improvment over a stock sidemount u can garuntee if u flow tested it against a good core it would show conisderably. aluminium piping is definetly good far greater than steel piping. the idea is to have a cold inlet charge and u dont use a steel rad or steel intercooler so why use steel piping? aluminium is the way to go but cheap alimunium is not a good thing. thickness of the aluminium is important as when u start cranking down those tbolt clamps u dont want ## piping to squish, i have heard of tht happening with cheap kits. its true though that punishment racing usually seems to have nice products and judging by their write up they seem to stand behind it. go ahead and spend ## money on it let us know if it works out LOL

good luck

ya something is definetly fishy about that. too low of a price. the core wont be very efficient and even tho it would be an improvment over a stock sidemount u can garuntee if u flow tested it against a good core it would show conisderably. aluminium piping is definetly good far greater than steel piping. the idea is to have a cold inlet charge and u dont use a steel rad or steel intercooler so why use steel piping? aluminium is the way to go but cheap alimunium is not a good thing. thickness of the aluminium is important as when u start cranking down those tbolt clamps u dont want ## piping to squish, i have heard of tht happening with cheap kits. its true though that punishment racing usually seems to have nice products and judging by their write up they seem to stand behind it. go ahead and spend ## money on it let us know if it works out LOL

good luck

Thanks for the input and advice, was hoping to hear good things! there are some mixed reviews kind of but idk... definitely want a front mount and that seems like good bang for the buck, i guess in the end i could just swap the core out for a much better quality one?

yep definetly and if the piping seems like shitty quality or the couplers u could replace them slowly in the future too. which seems like a pain but if u were only buying new piping from a piping supplier u could take ## punishment kits piping and say u want the good piping bent to match the shitty stuff so it would be easy replacement. its really much cheaper to make your own front munt setup. but most ppl dont have the means or knowhow. i bought a core from yonaka thats capable of 550hp and i bought 2.5inch good aluminium with black 4 ply silicone couplers t bolt clamps and i wrapped all the piping in black exhuast wrap. welded my tial Q bov on the hotside endtank of the cooler and total i paid ruffly 700 canadian. which is a good deal for legit front mount setup that i know has good quality parts and is efficient. mmost of the 1g kits u see are over 1000.

If I was going to pay that much Id go with the ETS Race FMIC kit with the short route piping. Around ~800$ I forget off hand. I know my buddy researched alot before choosing for his evo VIII and they had some of the best temperature changes from hot side to cold. I dont like trusting anything thats too cheap, but then again its your money and car. Goodluck man

if you are attempting to keep the stock foglights, check out the hahn racecraft kit. i use it on my 2g, and it bolts to the same bracket that holds your stock fogs, so id imagine you can keep them as well. good luck!

I have to say im pretty happy with the grill filling goodness of a ssac short rout kit. Its a massive intercooler.

Looks nice but you get what you pay for. If you're gonna go fmic get an ets kit or buy a universal fmic and fab up your own pipes.

i appreciate everyones thoughts and input. i ended up getting a SSAC core and am ordering piping tomorrow to put it all together, hopefully it works good if not i'll stick it up for sale and then just go get something else later. i think this should work out just fine for quite some time though. thanks everyone! :thumb: :dsm:

Looks nice but you get what you pay for. If you're gonna go fmic get an ets kit or buy a universal fmic and fab up your own pipes.

apparently you have not read the big thread on ebay fmics.. that line cannot be thrown out there as much as before..

i have noticed punishment racing sell ebay parts.. the radiator kit, and intercooler pipe kit, and now this fmic.. which im sure only the core is part ebay. thankfully they dont jack up the price 10x (for example dejon knockoff greddy.. ROFL) they increase it by like $10, and i guess in return you get customer service, so for those who need it, that is a worthy increase.. and i would imagine they wouldnt carry it if they knew it would be funky..

this fmic kit looks like a good AFFORDABLE alternative for those who dont want the SSAC kit, can't find the SSAC kit, and want to keep their fog lights. Surprisingly there seems to be a good number of people who are in LOVE with their useless foglights on their 2gs. so there is definitely a good market for this FMIC.

Havn't seen this short route piping on ebay, so seems like PR had this built. I would get it if I didn't already have an fmic setup.

if you are attempting to keep the stock foglights, check out the hahn racecraft kit. i use it on my 2g, and it bolts to the same bracket that holds your stock fogs, so id imagine you can keep them as well. good luck!

it's just too bad the HRC kit is more than twice the cost, as well as other "kits" that allow you to keep the foglights.. well I guess the OBX/EBAY kit will work also at $300-350, but at that price this new PR kit is more superior

it's just too bad the HRC kit is more than twice the cost, as well as other "kits" that allow you to keep the foglights.. well I guess the OBX/EBAY kit will work also at $300-350, but at that price this new PR kit is more superior

i so agree. i picked up mine from a buddy partin out his 2g, bought it for $300 and that is a steal considering they want a little over 6 just for the intercooler alone. its a nice kit i wish it was only half the price! i loved doin that install on my 2g it was a breeze.

So can you please explain why pics are the exact same? and why you never stated before brand name or no specific questions from others? Not trying to bash you, or anything because price is great and im considering buying one of these, but i also sent you email and no response, so it just seemed a bit fishy.

I had to research what exactly you were selling since it seemed as if you were hiding information, and luckily I found out with the help of another member that its a CX Racing intercooler.

I also agree with jm and will be waiting for a response on you guys over at PR. Looking into buying the kit as well but would as well like a response to jm's post.

I noticed that the pics were the same a while back myself , hopefully Cx stole the pics from PR and... not the other way around the only other option I see would be there one in the same???

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back