Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 12:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 327
Classifieds Rating: 3
Send a message via AIM to nlzn

Brake caliper stuck?

Ok so my rear driver's side caliper was making some screeching. I was forced to drive it a extra day but got the the brake job right away.
I got everything off easy enough, no problem. Swung the caliper up, got the pads off.. inside pad was eaten up pretty well, I think it was starting to eat into the pad backing. Outside pad had a pretty decent amount of meat left on it. I know it has to have a problem if the pad wear is that uneven.

Anyways, I know the rotor is warped, waiting on some OEM ones to arrive.
So, I assembled it back with new pads.

I guess the caliper is stuck? When I was screwing the piston in.. on that wheel only it was ungodly hard to turn. I mean I had to use a 10" breaker bar on it. The dust boot was torn around the piston. I didn't have any problem getting it back together after that so I'm assuming the slide pin is in decent condition.

However after some driving and hearing some rubbing I pulled back in to the awesome burnt pad smell and some caliper smoke. I bled that caliper, I'm still getting that burnt smell but with much less smoke and still rubbing.

I guess what I'm asking, before I go buy a reman caliper, is there anything I have overlooked?

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,063
If your piston boot is torn, your going to need a new caliper. Also with the uneven pad wear. It sounds like you have a stuck slider, but it could be a combination of that and your ripped boot. Did you actually take the slider out and lube it the last time you did the brakes? Do you know how long the boots been ripped for?

Old 10-09-2008, 01:24 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 327
Send a message via AIM to nlzn
Ive had this particular car for about a month, so there's no clear cut answer for how long it's been ripped. I can relube the pin just to take it out of the equation.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,063
If your dust boot on the piston is ripped, you need to replace the caliper. This was most likely the cause off your uneven pad wear. I was just saying that a stuck slider will do the cause the same problem with uneven pad wear.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 808
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 1
2G-specific

dsm calipers are tricky like that

I have had three calipers on my right front. They like to sort of seize. Not full on seized but become very hard to press in. Replacement time.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 10-09-2008, 07:39 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 111
Classifieds Rating: 0
Yes Id say replace, even if the caliper is not the problem this time it will be when the torn boot allows mother nature to soak in, and to take out the slide pin equation just buy a loaded calipers, you get pads, caliper bracket, caliper everything ready to bolt on.
Good luck.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 560
Photos: 14
Send a message via AIM to Achelea Send a message via Yahoo to Achelea
Sounds Familiar.

My driver rear seized up as well.

I got the lower bolt loose and lifted up the caliper, and this is what greeted me.
YouTube - Loose Caliper anyone?

That might seem normal. Except for the caliper did this to the pads.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...X/P1000261.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...X/P1000260.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...X/P1000259.jpg

I didn't have a chance to take a picture of the rotor, but it's got grooves on the inside lip. Resurface, or replace, depends on wether or not they can.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:09 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 120
Classifieds Rating: 2
Wow achalea that looks pretty healthy j/k are the bolts loose or is everything just wore out that bad? i definately would do some parts replacing before i tried to drive that
ok after looking at the pics looks like your sliders are froze up or your piston isnt working right

Old 05-01-2009, 12:32 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 560
Photos: 14
Send a message via AIM to Achelea Send a message via Yahoo to Achelea
Turns out the bolt had backed off quite a bit. I think the bearing might be worn as well. I have a good caliper coming in, so I get to tear into the car again later.

Greased the pin, tightened everything down and she seems pretty good right for now. When I swap out the rotors, I'll show what the pad did to the Rotor.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 36
Classifieds Rating: 0
This happend to me on my rear passenger side. The caliper was seized because the car sat on the e-brake for about a month before i bought it, and the drivers side released and the passenger side did not. I just ordered a new caliper and a set of rear brake pads. Really hope i dont have to replace the rotor