The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

jacks transmissions...? are they reliable??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

90gsx16g

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 6, 2007
Duluth, Minnesota
Hey im planning on rebuilding my transmission in my 90 Mitsubishi Eclipse gsx, the guy befor me rap*d it pretty good. does anyone have any suggestions as to where i should send my transmission to have it rebuilt? i have a limited budget of about $1000 give or take an extra $1500... i have approximately 500HP at 25 psi.. so i need something that will be ablt to withstand that much power without breaking. Oh and any ideas as to what kinda clutch i should get? I was thinking an ACT 2900, it has a 2600 in it right now which im sure is destryed from the guy before me. any help would be great! :dsm:

I've personally got a TRE built tranny and I had a friend that had one in his 1G. I really like mine and it was the same deal for him.

alright well there is quite a bit of a price difference between TRE and DogBox trannsmissions. Does anyone have first hand experience with of there transmissions?:dsm:

how expensive was it?

Couldn't tell ya. Mine came with the car but I think my buddy paid like $600 for his used, and it was a stage 3.

You can google Team Rip and check out their website. They have prices and such. I think if you give them a core, they knock like $400 off.

i dont understand the whole "Core" thing, is that just the components inside the tranny without sending the whole case with it?

i dont understand the whole "Core" thing, is that just the components inside the tranny without sending the whole case with it?

You can either have your transmission rebuilt, or buy one straight up from them. Just makes the turn-a-round time not as long. I'd imagine you just send the whole tranny, but I'm not sure. You'd have to call or e-mail them and ask. It should be on their website somewhere.

A core exchange means that he will require you to send your old tranny to him. It's a sort of mechanism to ensure that he doesn't have to constantly find new trannies, which would require either him to foot the bill or for him to pass the cost on to his customers.

A dogbox is a completely different monster, and something I would not really recommend for a street car. Here's a thread with a lot of information, and one of the only times I've seen Defiant stumped//no witty comeback!

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82937&highlight=dogbox

alright so if im gonna be just street raceing on the weekends you think i shouldnt get a dog box? I got alot of power goin into that transmission so i need something that'll be able to handle decently hard shifts ;) not that i abuse my car by any means but occasionally hard shifts happen :shhh:
:dsm:

Did you look through that thread? To successfully shift a dog box tranny you HAVE to be hard on it. No, I wouldn't recommend it on a DD still, but then again I assume people have to deal with highway rush hour. YMMV.

alright so if im gonna be just street raceing on the weekends you think i shouldnt get a dog box? I got alot of power goin into that transmission so i need something that'll be able to handle decently hard shifts ;) not that i abuse my car by any means but occasionally hard shifts happen :shhh:
:dsm:

Your pretty far from needing a dog box transmission if you're only going for 500hp and it's not within your budget of $1500 and you don't need to go for the ACT 2900 either.

Dog box transmission ain't for daily or street driving. They don't have synchro, you'll have to double clutch or else they will grind like hell. It be better to go double synchro all around with 4 spider diff.

DONT STREET RACE. Its not worth it. Pay 20 bucks and go to the track.

So nay on the dogbox transmission then, so no its between Jack's Transmissions and TRE. Im trying to narrow it down to one company. I'd prefer people with firsthand experience with either of these transmissions. And as far as not street raceing and paying to go to the track... not gonna happen. First of all the only "track" we have here in Duluth MN is a little more then a quarter mile strip of perfectly flat road surface thats named Garfield Avenue (which is rarely ever used by anybody becuase of its location). That and combined that we dont have to pay to use it( which is good because owning a dsm takes all my money :D ) :dsm: Thanks for the input though :thumb:

Let's leave the talk about street racing out of our forums please. We heavily discourage street racing due to the negative impact it has on our hobby and don't allow discussions about it around here. No need to debate the issue.

(FYI - it looks like Brainerd is about 2 hours away from you - which is how far I used to travel to my local track when I lived in Cali in order to race legally and not be one of the people adding to the problems that are bringing about harsh laws that are hurting car enthusiasts like us. But I guess I'm the type of guy who will do what's best for everyone in the DSM world and make a 2 hour drive to the track so that I'm not being selfish/irresponsible and not add to the problems for the rest of the DSM crowd...)

Now let's stay on topic please. We can discuss the street racing issue in another thread.

A core exchange means that he will require you to send your old tranny to him. It's a sort of mechanism to ensure that he doesn't have to constantly find new trannies, which would require either him to foot the bill or for him to pass the cost on to his customers.

A dogbox is a completely different monster, and something I would not really recommend for a street car. Here's a thread with a lot of information, and one of the only times I've seen Defiant stumped//no witty comeback!

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82937&highlight=dogbox

The guy recommended Dogbox Racing to do a rebuild, not an actual dogbox. I have never used Dogbox Racing before but I do know that their 1g cars get it done on the track.

Figure it out for yourself.

And post's like this are helpful how?
Im asking becuse i looking for some giudance as to where i should begin and for members to share what they know. That would be the point of this website is it not? :dsm:

Anyways back to transmissions, as far as upgrades go... what should i be looking for in the transmission? Persay i'll use it at the track on the weekends but also as DD the rest of the week.:dsm:

Dogbox Racing don't make dog box transmission. Before you decide which to go for I suggest you do some research. Shepherd and TRE aren't the only shops that make performance transmission.

I have heard good things about Jack's but even better things about Dogbox transmissions.

http://www.dogboxracing.com/Transmission.htm

Well then what do you consider these transmission's? Im sure these are considered performance..
but then again i no perty much zero in the field of transmission work and anything else about them. but im open to contructive crticism and explanations. -thanks

For future reference, just say that it's a "street car" and don't say "well when i go street racing.."

Street car could mean many different things. It's just better to say it like that if you won't plan on it seeing much track time. Another reason why a lot of people have like a "street tune" and a "race tune". One obviously for scootin around down (racing perhaps) and one for the track where you go all out.

As far as the tranny, I still recommend TRE. I've personally never heard anything bad about them. The only bad thing I've experienced is that my reverse synchro grinds, so I have to go into 4th then reverse. But I'm sure I desperately need a tranny flush.

+1 on Jacks. UPS dropped my trans pretty hard (a number of times) which damaged the end cover, so I sent it back to Jack to check it out. He pulled it apart and checked everything and put it all back together for NO extra charge.

From what I hear, Jacks, TRE, and Shep *all* build really good transmissions.

I wouldn't put a dog box in a DD myself.

EDIT: as far as what upgrades you should do, if you're already putting down 500hp then I'd go with nothing less then the premium build from Jack (if you choose Jack as your builder). The value build is said to be good for 'round 450hp. The premium build comes w/ a 4 spider center diff which would be really good for all the power you have. I'd also recommend a Quaife front LSD, but that gets really expensive. If you really are putting 500hp down, then I'd save up my money if I were you b/c it's gonna take around $3k to build a transmission that can really handle 500hp reliably. Cheap/Fast/Reliable...pick 2.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back