Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Newbie Forum: Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum. Probationary Members must limit their tech posts to this forum and sub-forums.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 08:58 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 17

Fiav

Can someone show me with pics what i've got to block off to get ride of the idle problem please? And maybe show me the difference between the FIAV and ISC...i'm kinda confused now about the two...Thanks lol

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:01 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2005 Evo
Tech Posts: 1,891
Classifieds Rating: 1
Reputation: olmytsi is pretty helpful and trustworthyolmytsi is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to olmytsi
What problem do you have? Idle surge? If so, theres a checklist of things to check before deciding to get rid of the fiav. ThereŽs alot of info on the forums about that already, just type in fiav, isc, or idle in the search button and youŽll be surprised how many threads pop up.
Visit olmytsi's homepage! 

Old 04-20-2007, 09:20 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Unverified Email Address

Tech Posts: 1,623
Photos: 6
Classifieds Rating: 3
Reputation: staticbrainwash is pretty helpful and trustworthystaticbrainwash is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to staticbrainwash
Vfaq is your best friend for this. Look under "intake" there's two big lists of things for you to check before you resign yourself to blocking the fiav.

If you do end up wanting to block still, jmfab makes a blockoff plate for the fiav.
Visit staticbrainwash's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 04-20-2007, 10:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 599
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 0
Send a message via AIM to Tsi_User
I put up a link in another threat but I'm lazy lol, it's about half way down

Another idle issue
View photos of this member's car 

Old 04-20-2007, 10:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,515
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: brute is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tobrute is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tobrute is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tobrute is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to brute
The FIAV and ISC are both located on the bottom of the throttle body. Here is what the lower portion looks like when removed:

The two middle holes are for coolant to flow through for the FIAV. The lower left hole is also for the FIAV. The top long hole and the bottom right hole are for the ISC. You can block of everything (not recommended) or just block off the FIAV. I wanted to keep my ISC, so instead of just a plate, I machined some holes for air so the ISC would still function. Here's the plate I made:

Old 04-21-2007, 10:18 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Ok, great thanks alot for the photo's, they really helped. And yea, i've got the idle problem right now, and i wanted to block off the FIAV...so i'll be doing that, but i'm still confused as to what the ISC and FIAV do. And also, Derek (Brute) you said it's not good to block off your FIAV i'm guessing because you do want it to be cooled off on hot summer days, so then why did you block off yours? like whats the big difference really? is it that bad or...? Thanks for your help!

Chris

Old 04-21-2007, 11:27 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,868
Photos: 5
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 26
Reputation: EclipseTrbo420A is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toEclipseTrbo420A is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toEclipseTrbo420A is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toEclipseTrbo420A is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to EclipseTrbo420A Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseTrbo420A
I blocked mine... YOu will notice when you turn the car in it doest idle as HIGH to warm up sits at like 1000 and drops to 700 nicely. I kept my ISC like the plate above and that controls the idle good enough

THe FIAV has wax inside...when its cold the wax is hard and lets more air through hence higher idle ( to warm up quicker ) on cold starts. Then when the coolant running through the TB and the engine temps get higher, the wax melts and stops air from going through, thus allowing the car to idle lower at normal operating temp ( 700-900 ). Make sence?

Old 04-21-2007, 12:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Yep! makes sense now i think, so then the FIAV is the whole piece that sits on the bottom of the throttle body, and the ISC does the actual controlling of the idle speed...When you block off the FIAV, and keeping the ISC, what are you then doing? And if you get ride of the it all together what would happen? What does FIAV stand for btw..?

Sorry for all the Questions, but i do appreciate the answers!

Chris

Old 04-21-2007, 07:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,868
Classified Ads: 1
Classifieds Rating: 26
Reputation: EclipseTrbo420A is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toEclipseTrbo420A is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toEclipseTrbo420A is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toEclipseTrbo420A is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to EclipseTrbo420A Send a message via Yahoo to EclipseTrbo420A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcobb View Post
Yep! makes sense now i think, so then the FIAV is the whole piece that sits on the bottom of the throttle body, and the ISC does the actual controlling of the idle speed...When you block off the FIAV, and keeping the ISC, what are you then doing? And if you get ride of the it all together what would happen? What does FIAV stand for btw..?

Sorry for all the Questions, but i do appreciate the answers!

Chris
fial= Fast Idle Air Valve When you block the fiav and keep the ISC you will eliminate a huge passage for air to get through and make your idle really high ALL THE TIME as if it were only when it was warming up See what I mean? I good FIAV us supposed to slowly close and lower the idle to 700 when untill it is fully warmed up. A bad one will just stay open and keep the idle at 1500 or higher and just hold there. So when removing the FIAV and keeping the ISC you are just making the BISS control the idle speed and the ISC regulates it during different tasks like AIR, heat. different driving conditions, stuff like that.

If you blocked them both, that makes Just the BISS controll idle, and that makes it tricky which is why I opted to go with the ISC as well.

Hope that helped

Old 04-27-2007, 11:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,515
Photos: 12
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: brute is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tobrute is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tobrute is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening tobrute is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to brute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcobb View Post
And also, Derek (Brute) you said it's not good to block off your FIAV i'm guessing because you do want it to be cooled off on hot summer days, so then why did you block off yours? like whats the big difference really? is it that bad or...?
Sorry for the late response, I lost this thread. I said blocking everything (ISC and FIAV) was bad. The plates that block everything look like mine minus the holes; they are simply a plate of aluminum. I blocked my FIAV but kept my ISC (hence the holes in mine). Sorry if I confused you.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:01 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 271
Classifieds Rating: 8
Send a message via AIM to NOMIEZVR4
Hey guys not trying to bring this back but i had a quick question.
I just want to do the RTV fix for the fiav..Do i put the RTV in the hole which i circled in the picture?

I plan on keeping my coolant lines going to the TB but want to fix my high idle.

Thanks for my help

Old 03-24-2009, 09:56 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 479
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMIEZVR4 View Post
Hey guys not trying to bring this back but i had a quick question.
I just want to do the RTV fix for the fiav..Do i put the RTV in the hole which i circled in the picture?

I plan on keeping my coolant lines going to the TB but want to fix my high idle.

Don't do that! Either get the FIAV block-off which retains the ISC, or figure out what's really wrong with your car and fix it. This filling the FIAV with RTV is Kookie-talk! You're scaring me. You probably need a 40cent o-ring on the BISS screw, a $5 TB gasket and a basic tune-up. I'm not trying to be a dick, it just sounds like you're about to make yourself a bigger problem than you know, and it's probably easier to fix it right than you think.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 03-24-2009, 11:47 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 271
Classifieds Rating: 8
Send a message via AIM to NOMIEZVR4
Brownfinger thanks for your input
I have read in many forums that people have used RTV where the wax is instead of getting a block off plate
and YES i know that is my issue
I have already done a BOOST leak test and know for sure that my tb or biss screw o-ring aren't the problems. My ISC is working within specs, i know this because i tested it.

anyone else?

Old 03-24-2009, 11:51 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 09 Nissan Versa SL
Tech Posts: 1,433
Just block it off.

you will be happier in the long run. Sure it has a hard time holding idle when its cold out but nothing your right foot cant fix. Just make sure your TPS is right unlike mine because it's a PITA while you barley push on the throttle and it jumps high then stalls because you let off the throttle...

Old 04-17-2009, 01:38 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 189
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 3
I've been reading this thread and others as well. Maybe I still don't understand or get the picture with blocking off just the FIAV. What would be the benefits to blocking this off.

Thanks, James

Old 11-02-2009, 12:44 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)

Tech Posts: 3,447
Photos: 41
Classifieds Rating: 5
I've been having a problem with my car revving on cold starts but only when it cold outside. Once it warms up it runs and idles fine. I'm going to try the bypass plate. If that doesn't work then I will block it off all together. The sell both bypass and blockoff plates here: Level Zero Motorsports
Visit 9!'clipseDOHC's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 11-02-2009, 05:38 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 1990 Dodge Colt
Tech Posts: 780
Send a message via Yahoo to dsmfa9nutter
Reving when cold sounds like an isc issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMIEZVR4 View Post
Brownfinger thanks for your input
I have read in many forums that people have used RTV where the wax is instead of getting a block off plate
and YES i know that is my issue
I have already done a BOOST leak test and know for sure that my tb or biss screw o-ring aren't the problems. My ISC is working within specs, i know this because i tested it.

anyone else?

For the last time, THERE IS NO WAX PELLET, THAT IS A MYTH, IT IS A TEMPERATURE SENSITIVE SPRING.
Visit dsmfa9nutter's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 11-04-2009, 11:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)

This is my line of thought, it may be wrong but it makes sense to me.

If it only revs when its cold, and the fiav causes it to idle differently when cold (in order to warm up the engine), then if I bypass the fiav it should idle as if it were warm all the time and therefore not rev when it is cold.

If the bypass doesn't work then I will get the blockoff plate and be done with the isc too. I've already removed my ac so I don't really need the isc to compensate for accessories.

I ordered the bypass from level zero, it was $10 shipped. I should have it installed sometime next week, I'll update everyone on the results then.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:15 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)

It worked! I installed the bypass plate yesterday, and this morning when I started it, no engine rev! It idles a little low at first, around 500, but then comes up to normal speed once it warms up. I'm happy!

Old 11-20-2009, 07:18 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)

OK with the bypass the one problem was fixed, no more rev while warming up. But as I stated, now it idles very low when it is cold, around 500. If I drive it before it warms up it idles too low and shuts off. Once it warms up, it idles around 1,000 with no problems.

Does this sound like a bad isc? Should I block it off completely?