The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Max safe boost? [Merged 10-6]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sure...removing the restrictor will only yield about an extra pound or two. The stock fuel system can handle ~16psi on a stock turbo.

Extreme

Once you take out the restrictor are you supposed to switch the hoses around or put them on exactly how you took them off?

Ok "MBC" is a Manual Boost Controller and basically it's a way to manipulate the wastegate. With this installed you can control how much boost you want to generate. May I suggest that you install a reputable aftermarket boost gauge before considering a MBC. The stock boost gauge only estimates what boost should be based on RPM. Hope this helps.

Extreme

I have a 95 fwd TSi, and i wanna knwo how to boost the stock turbo to the max safely, what is the max psi and how can i reach it safely? thak sguys, good to be a dsm'er!

I believe that the most you can turn up your boost is to 15psi. After that the stock fuel system can't provide enough fuel. You can either rewire the stock pump or upgrade to something bigger.

The limit of boost on your engine should not exceed 16 Psi. as far as getting the boost up you can do a few things for next to nothing to grab a few extra PSi. First of all you if you remove the two hoses of your boost solenoid( attach to top of intake) and use a screw to remove a small platic insert by threading in the screw in the solenoid were the hoses were attached and the insert should slip out this will give 2-3Psi extra. Another easy way to get extra free boost is to get a Mbc You can make one easily but I reccomend buying a machined alluminium splitter from a pet store.They are made for aquarium air lines. you just need one with four ends> then you put it in line before the wastegate and if you open the valves it releases vacuum pressure that would normal open the wastegate allowing you more boost>*** It is a good idea to get a good boost gauge before the wastegate mod because in can bring the boost up alot!***

Thanks, it sounds like good ideas, but what is an mbc? any way you can give me specific directions to where these things you told me were, like where is the boost solenoid. Also, do i need to make any ecu upgrades if i want to put a bigger fuel pump (walbro) to push more fuel, and do I need to upgrade injectors? Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by R-U-QUIKR
If you still need help after the link just send me a message and I would be glad to explain more thourughly. Sorry I didn't leave u a link, I'm really not good with computers!

could u please?

ok, im gonna try to do it but im stuck...i see the two hoses thats coming from the wastegate, but which one is the electrical connection? and where exactly is the little restricion located at? where the two hoses used to be?
sorry, im confusedOMG

You have miss read my friend! There are two hoses coming from the boost soleniod> The boost solenoid is on top of the 1G intake, and under the airbox on a 2G. If you remove the two hoses and look into the ends you will see that the is one restrictor in one nipple. Remove it. If you want to put in a Manual Boost Controller(MBC), look for a plastic T 6 inches from the wastegate. You would simply put the MBC inline after the T before the Wastegate. However I have came to the realisation that if you use the MBC it will pretty much override the first mod because the MBC is doing the same idea but more . JUst my .02

Some quick info....I just performed the restrictor removal on the boost control solenoidyesterday. I have a 1998 gs-t. My car ran slower. It spooled up quicker, then really just died at higher rpms. The boost gauge was still pegged all the way up, but the car just seemed to run out of steam. Today I put the restrictor back and the car is still slower, but smoother. I am still trying to figure out what went wrong. Any ideas R-U-QUIKR?

I'm gonna start tuning as soon as my 550's arrive in the mail this week. But i'm trying to decide what boost to tune to.. I've got a s16g supra sidemount, full i/c piping, 255lph, and 550's with an AFC, Egt guage and pocketlogger. I'm currently running 17psi and I was thinking of tuning to a bit over 20 on 93octane. Thoughts?

Jon

Do you have an adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator?

If not you are probably over running the stock one, and that will make tuning very difficult.

20 on pump with 550s will be pushing it. Just watch your timing on the pocketlogger!!

you should monitor timing at various boost levels 16-19psi and see which one gives you the best timing at wot and i wiould leave it at that boost level more timing = more power

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back