The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

How do you measure a turbo size?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AWD1gTalon

Probationary Member
Feb 25, 2004
Danbury, Connecticut
I'm interested to know how a turbo size is measured. When people talk about trim size, what is that standing for or what wheel is measured. An example, a 50 trim. where does that number come from, which wheel is measured and would it be exactly 50mm? And how does each wheel affect flow and performance.
Thanks.

so by measuring the compressor wheel i'll get say 50mm is there a taper on the wheel or anything where it would affect a person measuring it or is 50 all the way down. thanks, this is just something i've been wondering.

Trim is a ratio of the exducer diamter and the inducer diameter. Trim is equal to the square of the inducer diameter divided by the exducer diameter.

thanks, i was wondering where the numbers came from and how they were determined.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back