The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

91 turbo motor into a 92 non turbo talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xander061

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 19, 2010
Lexington, Kentucky
Need help with this. i have a 91 talon tsi fwd with a soon to be running motor but has a rough body and interior. i have a friend that has a 92 talon esi non turbo with a perfect body and interior that has a blown motor that they are willing to sell me for real cheap if i want it. my question is what do i need out of my 91 to put in the 92 to convert it from an esi to a tsi?

If I recall the DL was the trim level with the 1.8 N/T.

You need to swap the entire engine, transmission, (the n/t. really won't handle much extra torque), axles (again n/t are weaker), and ecu. I am not sure if the N/T harness has a knock sensor plug, if it doesn't you need to run wires for the knock sensor to the ecu.

Look at the VFAQ, there is a conversion FAQ.

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/freestyle/turboconversion.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...48231-installing-turbo-4g63-into-nt-4g63.html

If the N/T is blow, and the turbo engine isn't just swap the entire drivetrain over. Its a straight forward process. Take out the old engine/transaxle, put in the new.

Taking out the wire harness is a huge pain in the ass on a 1g. You need to pull most of the dash.

Last edited:
Like stated. You need to swap the motor, trans, ECU, wiring harness, and engine mounts. Radiator also, don't forget the shifter cables and shifter assembly.

the blown motor in the 92 is a n/t 2.0L with a 5sp

The motor, trans, ECU, and wiring harness are still different. If the car is a 4g63 non turbo, then the shifter base and cables can stay. The radiator is still not adequate enough for the turbo motor, nor is the non turbo trans.

*** edit *** motor mounts are the same.

would it be easy to try to pull the harness out of the 91 or order a new one and how much would that cost

You need to swap the motor, trans, ECU, wiring harness, and engine mounts,radiator shiter box and a few other small peices

Is your block cracked or something? , honestly there are minor differences but if u r wanting to make the non Turbo a Turbo model you can use all the parts out of yours, head, injectors, intake, exhaust manifold, harness, water pump tube, Turbo and so on, but if you do this keep in mind that the esi 6bolt doesn't have oil squirter's so making it really reliable is kind of a toss up, some say yes some say no, if I was in your position I would part out your motor and buy your friends if u can get it for scrap price and part it out, then buy a good used jdm 6bolt Turbo and drop it in ,

I miss understand ## question, but if ## trans is good I'd swap it all into the 92 esi, u have all the parts u need harness and everything, it would definitely be a project but if u have another vehicle to drive go for it.

Is your block cracked or something? , honestly there are minor differences but if u r wanting to make the non Turbo a Turbo model you can use all the parts out of yours, head, injectors, intake, exhaust manifold, harness, water pump tube, Turbo and so on, but if you do this keep in mind that the esi 6bolt doesn't have oil squirter's so making it really reliable is kind of a toss up, some say yes some say no, if I was in your position I would part out your motor and buy your friends if u can get it for scrap price and part it out, then buy a good used jdm 6bolt Turbo and drop it in ,

I miss understand ## question, but if ## trans is good I'd swap it all into the 92 esi, u have all the parts u need harness and everything, it would definitely be a project but if u have another vehicle to drive go for it.

My talon is just for fun and to have a project car, its not my DD. Do i just need to pull out the engine wiring harness or both wiring harnesses?

the second link in post 2 say that you can just add a few wire to the n/t wiring harness instead of removing both and swapping. Hass anyone done this with any problem?

Swap is almost done just alil fine tuning and adjustments and i should be able to start it up tonight

Its just very time consuming to get it all done when u can only work on it a few hrs here and there

Now I have this same issue. I have a 92 N/T FWD chasis that had a motor pulled from a 91 GSX turbo. I just had the motor rebuilt and was told to buy a new engine loom and ECU. So I bought the loom and the ECU for a 92 tsi. Now my problem is the loom is not matching up to the N/T exsisting harness inside. What do I need to do to get this thing running again?

Could you provide pictures of these connectors that don't match up or, at least, approximate locations?

well the first one I noticed was under the dash on the passenger side. There are three plugs and two out of the three match up but after further looking the wires are the same so I can just swap the pins. One of the other plugs Ive noticed is behind the radio and the plug that dont match thats on the loom is way smaller than the one thats in car. and I have no clue what it goes to because it just goes right into the main run.

so the one on the passenger side I can swap plugs and they will match up. But what about the one under the radio? Then I also noticed that the other loom I got does not have a resistor pack in it. Or at least not spliced into it like my current one. Do I just splice this one into the new one if I can get the other plug to work?

Doesn't have a resistor pack? Is it not a turbo harness? Anyway, yes, you can wire up the resistor pack to any harness. Read about that here: Injector Resistor Pack Wiring (1G N/T -> Turbo Conversion)

Same thing goes for the connector behind the radio as goes for the one under the dash on the passenger side. Find the right connector at a junkyard and it can be swapped in to connect to the engine harness.

I guess my only other question would be how would I rewire the one under the radio... the new loom is only about and 8 pin (just a guess) where as the loom in the car has twice as many wires..

Again, The 1990 Engine Control Wiring Harness - C67.

Read that. It has links to the different variations of that connector for 1Gs as well as pin-outs for those variations. You'll need to match what goes to what function-wise (use wire colors as needed), arrange them in an appropriately sized connector to mate the harnesses together, and go. As well, that post shows how I've done the wiring on a '90 car to mate up with a '91 engine harness.

ok. sorry if you feel like your repeating yourself alot. I just wanna make sure Im doing this correctly. So looking at your pictures, picture one shows the connector on the harness Im trying to put in. and picture three shows the one I want. So the harness I'm putting in has less wires. Thats not gonna be a problem?

Worst case scenario, you lose cruise-control and ABS. Otherwise, everything ought to function precisely as it is meant to function.

well after further installation ive found that there are many other plugs that dont match as well. I dont know what to do anymore. I cant seem to find anyone who knows anything about these cars.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back