The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Code p0170 fuel trim bank 1.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal408

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 30, 2010
San Jose, California
What does this code mean and my car dies intermittenly with cold starts.

That code is for your upstream o2 sensor. Make sure when you replace your 02 sensor you go with Bosch.

When I had that code I immediately replaced my o2 sensor and it never came back. Def make sure your o2 isn't bad.

Edit: I hope you have done an o2 sensor before, if not bring lots of PB blaster, borrow an o2 sensor socket, and if you have no room take your driver's side cooling fan out. Good luck!!

fosho. yeah i got the tools for that. and a buddy of mine said it might be the m.a.p. sensor. is that a possibility too? but for sure im deff gonna get that o2 sensor changed. oh yeah and is the o2 sensor the cause of my car running rich or having the gas smell in the cockpit as well?

Absolutely! If your o2 sensor is shot, then basically its not giving your ecu the right signal of how much fuel to add so its over fueling your car therefor your running rich and smelling the gas inside the car. i bet its not your map sensor. that's a completely different code. fuel trim = o2 sensor, bank 1 = your upstream o2 sensor. bank 2 would be your downstream.

Fosho. Good lookin fellas appreciate the help.

Update us when you replace the o2 sensor so we can mark this thread as resolved!

Update:
Just got my o2 sensor in today. Should have it installed within a few days.

I stripped the threads in my o2 housing when I changed mine a few years back. watch out for that. our cars are getting older and older, rustier and rustier.

Code p0170 - A Fuel Trim Malfunction DTC results from your combined LTFT and STFT exceeding threshold, indicating that your tuning for closed-loop operation is way off. Given that you're running a stock fuel setup and no tuning equipment (assuming there are no major problems with that) I would have to assume your issues are related to airflow metering somehow. MAS or o2.

Ok fellas I swapped out the o2 sensor and my car is running perfect now. Thanks again for the help. This problem is resolved.:D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back