Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > General > Newbie Forum > Maintenance & Repairs
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Maintenance & Repairs: Oil choices, timing belt, setting timing, CV boot replacement, alternator servicing, fuse/relay checks, and other basic maintenance, repair and diagnosis discussions. Probationary Members can post here.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011, 02:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 187
Photos: 7
Classifieds Rating: 0

No spark in 1 and 4

Long story short I degreased my engine and it would not start. It turned out to be a bad crank angle sensor, now the car is running but is not get spark on 1 and 4 so far I changed out coil packs and power transistor. The car would run right then its like 1 and 4 just turns off. any input guys? btw its for a 1998 gst

Also it started out it would drive normal then just it would cut out now it will not get spark at all in 1 and 4

Last edited by justinhill98gst; 05-07-2011 at 08:22 PM.
View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:52 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Probationary Member

Tech Posts: 11
Photos: 15
NT-specific

If it was a n/t I would have said try a different crank positioning sensor. I'm not sure on the turbo engines. But that was the problem on mine when I did a rebuild on my 420a engine and cracked the cps by accident. Car would run 5 minutes and lose spark to 1 and 4

Old 05-08-2011, 11:08 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 54
Photos: 28
When you pull ot the spark plugs is there oil or gas on the tip?

Old 05-08-2011, 11:19 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 38
Classifieds Rating: 4
Best way to check a crank angle sensor is with a scope. But if this all happened after you"degreased" your engine I would look for water intrusion in the conectors.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:18 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 224
Photos: 12
You de-greased your engine and then this issue surfaced....If you hit the top of your motor pretty aggressively with water then theres a good chance water found it's way down the spark plug tubes and around your spark plugs allowing for the spark to ground out to the engine block and head assembly.

I would remove your plug wires and then try blowing out the plug tubes with compressed air......Alot of times the spark plug wires overtime will not seal up to the top of the valve cover like they should and this actually allows dirt and debris (and in your case water) down the tubes and around the porcelin end of the spark plug where the wires snap in.....if water is able to reach that area then its easy to see how a voltage leak can form between the plug wire and the plug allowing voltage to escape to the cylinder head rather than to the spark plugs and on into the cylinder where it can do you some good........ Blow this area out with compressed air and make sure there is little to no moisture in it and your issue may disappear all together....

Old 05-08-2011, 12:34 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Update: pulled the plugs in on and four the plugs are dry, so I guess im not getting gas or spark in them 2

Old 05-08-2011, 12:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 224
Photos: 12
try swapping your ecu to another car to see if your computer may have had driver failures after washing the engine...I'd hate to think something happened to it but you never know.....If you swap your computer to a good running car and the other car ends up with the issue you may have to go hunting for a possible short caused by water intrusion to a harness or something like that.....

Old 05-08-2011, 07:57 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Swapped ECU nothing.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 54
Try changing the cam sensor.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:20 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Bought a new one, still no go.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:54 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 62
Classifieds Rating: 1
I had the sane problem... I tried 2 different coil packs and it didn't fix it. my problem was my cam angle sensor. Let me know if it's the same for u.

Old 05-09-2011, 11:04 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

I replaced the CAS with a new one, when the car is running on 2 cylinders the RPMs go crazy some times and then sits at zero, If that suppose to mean anything.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:29 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 80
Photos: 15
the middle pin on your transistor is what controls your tack. my pin backed out and my tack did the same thing

Old 05-10-2011, 01:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
DSM Wiseman

Tech Posts: 8,218
Photos: 58
Classifieds Rating: 9
Send a message via Yahoo to dsm-onster
Swap the coil pack too and report back. just because the plugs are "dry" to you doesn't mean they wern't getting fuel. . .

Old 05-10-2011, 01:51 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 333
Send a message via AIM to Chaosweaver
Check your crank angle sensor, I've heard that if its damaged the ECU will shut down 2 cylinders.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:32 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 45
Photos: 10
i call transistor

Old 05-10-2011, 04:46 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 333
Send a message via AIM to Chaosweaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUZZYDESERTDSM View Post
i call transistor

He already changed it out.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:17 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Thanks for all the feed back guy's, But I tryed everything i'm about to go through the harness from the transistor because when I move the harness the motor kills

So I went through the harness fixed ever cracked wire still missing in 1 and 4. So far this is what I have done CAM positioning sensor,Crank Sensor,Switch out power transistor, Switch out coil packs and went through the harness and fixed every little cracked wire,Check out all the fuses. The only thing I have not done yet is switch in a different ECU but I looked at the ECU no leaking caps no burnt smell no marks but could it still be the ECU?

Last edited by justinhill98gst; 05-11-2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Auto-merged with previous post to prevent "bumping" within a 24 hour period Tips on avoiding the auto-merge feature - http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_bumping

Old 05-14-2011, 05:25 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Could a bad injector resistor pack cause the no fuel/no spark to 1 and 4? Or could the car still fire with a bad MPI relay but not work 100%?

Old 05-16-2011, 04:35 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

Problem Solved Ecu went bad.