The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Ebay Gates timing belt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucas03es

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 28, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
So I ordered A "Gates" timing belt off of Ebay, thinking it was an authentic Gates belt as the picture described. Upon receiving it, the Belt is a brand named "Dynabelt" and it says "Gates Unitta Asia" below it. After a bit of looking around I found a website for that company (Gates Unitta), and when I click global, it brings me to the Gates homepage. Would anyone trust these belts or have an idea if it is a Gates, just with a different name? Thanks

Gates Unitta Asia and Gates Corp have made a joint venture to get the gates name in Asia. It shows it on the Gates Unitta Asia site. So it would be a Gates belt but probably not made by Gates in the US. But the Asian market. Hope that helps!

Well the seller just called me, and his english was very fast and confusing, but he said he assures me the belt is made my Gates in Japan, and is supposed to be 20% stronger than the normal belt. Also he said something about it being made as part of a competition between Gates and another company. He also offered to refund me the money, which makes me feel a bit better about how he stands behind his product atleast somewhat.

Would you trust this belt?

Sure, if gates has them linked to there website they must be willing to stake at least some small portion of their reputation on them.

^^^Agreed. They wouldnt join up companies if it was going to ruin their reputation. You should be good IMO.

Honestly what is wrong with the stock belt? They really aren't that expensive and have passed all the OEM requirements for 60k mile intervals. At $80 a pop, thats a bit more than 1/10 of a penny per mile.

I'd stick with factory parts all the way on this.

Cool, i will repost once i install it and get a few miles on it and see how it holds up! thanks!

To be honest on a part like that I would never go after market. Better safe than sorry the little bit of money you save is not even worth it.

If you ordered it off of ebay and its not what it was not what it waid it was i really wouldnt trust putting it onto my car.especially since its hard to tell how good it will actually be the last thing you really want to do is put a timing belt on that is going to break and mess up your engine

I have had a "true" gates timing belt on my cars for over 75k before. I have never had a problem with them. However, they were made for stock power, if you go trying to hit 400-450hp you should prob expect to do more frequent tb changes IMO. but if you are farely close to stock then go for it as long as its a real gates belt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back