The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Which tires do you guys recommend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starscreem

15+ Year Contributor
May 2, 2005
hoffman estates, Illinois
hello every one

well as of a few weeks ago one of my side walls started to bubble and i am now having to buy a new set of tires. i will only be using these for summer tires as i have a full set of blizzaks on my stock rims. my questions are as followed. also the rims i have are enkie evo rs-e.

1. i plan on running a 225/45/17 will there be any rub problems on the rims i have and what would be the biggest i could go with out rolling my fenders. maybe a 235 or 245.

2. these so far are the tires i have found i think i want to run just want some opinion on them if any one has any.

Tire Details - Discount Tire

I have never had to buy a really nice set of tires and don't want to be pushed buy some sales man to buy what they want to sell me i just want some real world feed back. If there are any other tires any one recommends please let me know. i am not looking to spend a crazy amount on tires though.

thanks a bunch every one

matt

It depends on your offset on your rims or if you wanna run spacers to fit bigger 235/245

I've used the bfg gforce and they worked fine i would go with those or the nittos for a good tire without breaking the bank.

i have been trying to find the offset for these rims but i have had no luck at all.

if u dont mind me asking what was so bad about the nitto nt neogen tires? just trying to gather info. i like the ones you linked just a little more then i can afford to spend right now.

thanks for the link Pipnorcali. problem is the tires are still mounted to the rims so at this point i cant do that.

They worn out fast, didn't have much grip especially in the wet, and no side wall stiffness making them really unresponsive to steering input.

Well if you can get them for a good price then vredestein ultrac sessanta's. Great tire wet dry and snow with Lowe pressue! Had a few of my friends convert and they wont go back. I run them on my normal rims and race rims

so from what i was able to find it looks like the rims are a +38 offset. so what is the biggest tire i could run with out spacer and would going down in wall size allow for a bigger tire.

Best street tire for the price and wear rating are gonna be Hankook V12 Evo's. The best street tires on currently available (if wear is not a problem) are Hankook RS-3's, Kumho XS's, and Dunlop Direzza Star Spec's in that order [as tested by lap times and highest G's pulled verfied through a Performance Box (P-Box)].

Best street tire for the price and wear rating are gonna be Hankook V12 Evo's. The best street tires on currently available (if wear is not a problem) are Hankook RS-3's, Kumho XS's, and Dunlop Direzza Star Spec's in that order [as tested by lap times and highest G's pulled verfied through a Performance Box (P-Box)].

I actually liked the Evo-V12's when I first started using them. However, I was disappointed on how quickly they wore out compared to my previous Bridgestones. Even with proper tire rotation and a recent alignment. Not to mention they got quite loud.

Im running neo gens and i like them. The inner wall is great for any neagative chamber. I also habe a set of nt555 in the garage. I just like nitto. The Hankooks are great tires from what i hear. Neo gens are 225/45/17 the nt555 are 235/45/17 not much rubbing on in the back but thats cause my springs.

Of your 3 options, I'd probably go BFGoodrich, but if I was chosing a tire I probably wouldn't go with any of those options myself. If you want to stay in that price point, there are likely better options. What are you looking for, most performance, tread life, a mix of something, etc.

I've had great experiences with my Falken 612 series tires. Pretty good all around performance (seen snow, rain, hot roads) and they aren't expensive at all compared to some other brands.

ok from what i have been able to find they are 17x7 with a +38 offset. daren_p i am looking for a mix of performance, and decent tread wear. i do have a full set of ws70 blizaks for winter so these will be strictly summer tires. i just dont want some thing i will be replacing every year. i do plan on going to the drag strip a few times this year but not to much. i currently have kumho ast 215/50/17 and i do not like them at all. but since one is bubbling i need a new set. i will be going through discount tire also they have the best prices in my area i have been able to find.

First of all thank you for choosing Discount Tire! While I don't see many DSM guys come through my store we do get a lot of Porsche, BMW, and Subaru's who autocross, or just generally demand a high-performance street tire. My first choice hands down would be the Pilot Super Sport. After that I recommend the V12, Star Spec, and KDW. All are great tires but the Super Sport combines the best every day usability and track ready grip while still wearing at an acceptable rate when rotated properly. Rest assured that you won't be pressured by any salesman at DTC (there's no commission), most of the guys in my region are enthusiasts themselves and want to make sure you get the best tire for your goals. PM me if you need anymore help deciding!

What kind of mileage do you do in the summer? My current set of tires are Kumho XS which would be in the "max performance" series of tires. I only drive my car in the summer, probably got right around 30K miles on this set (that includes one lapping day that probably took 3-4K out of the tires as well). For me that's 4 summers use. If thats acceptable mileage, this type of tire does offer the most amount of grip in a street type tire. Some other tires in this category that are also great options are Hankook RS-3's, Dunlop Direzza ZII, BF Goodrich Rival, Yokohama AD08r, etc.

If you want less performance & more tread life, I'd look at something like Bridgestone S-04, RE760, Kumho SPT, Yokohama S drive, Hankook V12 evo, Dunlop has some new models, etc.

Here's a link to tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=225/&ratio=45&diameter=17

Lots of options in your size & I find their "Survey" information is typically pretty good, so it gives you a good idea of how the tire will perform/wear.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back