The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Dsm front subframe mount issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lofty

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2008
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Hey guys, I got the engine in my GVR4 tonight and am now kind of confused. I've been having a hell of a time trying to get everything aligned right, so here's my question.
(Yes i've pulled motors and installed them before)

My problem is that I have the timing side mount in (From a 1g AWD)

I also have the GVR4 specific 344 front bracket on the engine.

It seems that atleast one mount doesnt want to align right, and this mount is now the rear one.

I have my DSM WHOLE front K member (front subframe) in the GVR4.
The subframe was from a 1g AWD.
( I had a front end collision, but I really don't think it tweaked the subframe as the cross beam that goes front to rear of the car bolted in)

If the mounts are all inter changable and stuff, why does it seem my mount isn't lining up? Maybe the rear is upside down?
(I don't see how)

Here's a picture.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That doesn't look like the correct mount bolted to the subframe Scott.

Mine is almost vertical, whereas yours is tilted towards the back. (Ignore the modified inserts)

Keep in mind that IIRC, I've never seen a GVR4 bay in person. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It came out of my 1g AWD?

Granted it was in an accident. Think it's now bent?

It didn't look that crooked but in pictures it now does.

Know if the K members on GVR4/DSM are the same?

The trans mount is not in either, but what a frustrating problem.

--Thanks Calan.

Granted it was in an accident. Think it's now bent?

Guess it could be, but it would take a hell of a hit I think. Was the motor pushed back and other mounts broken?

Is the sub-frame caved in at the mount, causing the mount to be tilted back? It kind of looks like it, but hard to tell for sure from the pic.

Know if the K members on GVR4/DSM are the same?

No idea.

I will check caps for you. Looks like you have the wrong rear mount bolted to the subframe. Did the driver mount seem to fit in there alright with the engine bolted to the front bracket. In the past when i've had the wrong brackets on the front or rear the driver mount will have to be pried into place.

I dont get it though. It states all 1g and gvr mounts are the same except for the front bracket.
The timing side was tweaked on the old car but this is a new timing side mount for an awd.
If all the mounts are the same logic would say the k members are the same. I had a hell of s time getting anything to line up. Had the rear bolted in first. Timing side and front were off. Bolted the front in. Got the timing side. And now we are here. Guess due to process of elimination its something in the rear? Unless im not trying hard enough but i sat there struggling for hours. WTF!

Well i was a little off. The rear bracket, rear mount, tranny bracket, front mount and subframe have the same part number. The driver mount, tranny mount have front mount bracket have different part numbers. If you didn't change anything other than the subframe, than i am going say that you probably have a rear automatic motor mount on the car. Here are the part numbers

Subframe for both cars-------------MB573544
Rear mount for both cars-----------Mb436495
Rear bracket for both cars---------Md136195
Front mount for both cars----------MB436490
Front bracket for galant vr4--------Md133344
Front bracket for awd dsm---------Md133347
Driver bracket for vr4--------------Mb436505
Driver bracket for awd dsm--------MB346741
Transmission mount for v4r--------MB436541
Transmission mount for awd dsm-- Mb436729
TRansmission mount bracket both-md731017

After seeing that you have a 1g mount in the driver side, i bet that is probably throwing you off a bit. Was it hard to get in there?

Yeah that should all be flat. I tweaked the subframe in the accident. Hammer time.

Thanks both of you!

Bumping

Problem?

xD

Swapped subframes, lines up perfectly. Fits like a glove.

Thanks for the help guys!

That looks like the mounting pad was bent. I don't know the specifics on 1g vs gvr4, but if you had a whole dsm sub-frame in it, you should have used dsm engine mounts.

Did you have the two north/south parts in? You need them or your subframe will crack.

All of the bracketry is all the same except for the front 344 BRACKET.

Timing side can be interchangeable from different cars.

Trans mount is a different part number because it has an extra tab on it to mount something, however 1g/GVR both work.

Everything on the subframes of EACH can be removed and swapped, the rear roller is the same, so are all the cross support mounts (front to rear of the bay)

I somehow hit so hard that the impact shifted the engine and made the surface the roller mount attaches to concave.

I still used all DSM stuff and the motor is in and fits like a glove.

I am not sure, exactly why, there is a specific gvr4 front motor mount, if all the other mounts are interchangeable but the motor will not go in without the proper bracketry.

The only difference is the GVR4 rack has 2 extra lines coming from the bottom of it to go to the 4ws stuff, which I do not have so it does not matter.

Posting all this just so everyone is clear on these forums about the different mounts.

I cannot navigate GVR4.org as well as I can here.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back