Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Handling Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Handling Tech: 4G63 suspension, steering, brakes, tires, lightweight wheels, bushings, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 04:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,787
Classifieds Rating: 21
Reputation: ->PrOjEcTGS<- is extremely helpful and trustworthy->PrOjEcTGS<- is extremely helpful and trustworthy->PrOjEcTGS<- is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to ->PrOjEcTGS<- Send a message via Yahoo to ->PrOjEcTGS<-

Anyone ever used Goodyear Eagle GT tires?

Hey guys, I'm going to be getting some new rubber coming up before winter. Well, my wife and I have decided that I will be going with an all season tire. Now, of course I want to get the best performing tire that I can get while it still being a all season rated tire. I currently have Fuszion ZR-i's on it right now. So, I'm thinking anything will be an upgrade.

I had to replace the tires on my Spec-V when I owned it. I went from the original Continental Conti-Sport Contacts to the Sumitomo HTR+'s. They were a decent tire but compared to the Conti's they definitely didn't handle as well. Great in the snow though.

I try and stay true to the Goodyear brand because my grandfather worked in one of their plants for 40 years and gets great rebate coupons for them. So, I've been looking at the Goodyear Eagle GT. They look like a great tire at a really good price.

Has anyone used these on a DSM? Are they any good? If you've used the Conti's and the GT's how would they compare with each other?

Thanks

Here's the info on them:

From Tire Rack:

The Eagle GT is Goodyear's Ultra High Performance All-Season tire developed for the drivers of sports cars, coupes and sedans looking for style, handling and all-season capabilities. The Eagle GT is designed to combine an eye-catching tread pattern that delivers in dry and wet conditions, along with all-season versatility, even in light snow.

The Eagle GT features an all-season tread compound molded into a dual-zone asymmetric tread design. The outboard high-performance zone features large independent shoulder and intermediate tread blocks to enhance steering response and provide predictable handling, along with sweeping Aquachute tread grooves that help evacuate water to enhance wet traction. The inboard all-season zone features a continuous rib flanked by dual circumferential grooves to help evacuate water and the inboard shoulder blocks feature Tredlock sipes to blend stability on the road with traction in snow. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wrapped nylon to combine uniform ride quality with high-speed capability, along with a polyester cord casing.

Size: 205/55R16
Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 91V
UTQG: Treadwear: 440
Traction: A
Temperature: A440 A A
Price: $89.00 (each)

Estimated Availability:
In Stock

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,950
Classifieds Rating: 34
Reputation: DSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toDSMunknown is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
I'll have to double check for you, but I used to have an old version of the Eagle GT line. They sucked for me, but then again they were (as far as I know) all-season tires. They were definitely called "Eagle GT" but they looked more like the GT II and not the high performance GT or GT-HR. Don't know why they're mixing the names together so closely, the tires do not offer similar performance advantages.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 2013 Chevy Sonic RS
Tech Posts: 316
Classifieds Rating: 3
Send a message via AIM to KGB Pilot125 Send a message via Yahoo to KGB Pilot125
we have sold about 14 sets of these at work. one of my guys runs them on his WRX. So far everyone loves them. they should be decent in the snow and you should get great mileage out of them. I was thinking of trying them but I run a snow tire in the winter so I dont have to comprimise my summer tires.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 95 Mustang GT
Tech Posts: 4,028
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 5
Reputation: mavisky is a DSMtuners Expertmavisky is a DSMtuners Expertmavisky is a DSMtuners Expertmavisky is a DSMtuners Expertmavisky is a DSMtuners Expertmavisky is a DSMtuners Expert
Send a message via AIM to mavisky Send a message via MSN to mavisky
Holy crap 440 treadwear will definitely not be the stickiest tire you can find. I'm sure they'd make a decent all season tire though.

#97 Street Modified Fort Wayne SCCA
Visit mavisky's homepage!  View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-07-2009, 09:03 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: ->PrOjEcTGS<- is extremely helpful and trustworthy->PrOjEcTGS<- is extremely helpful and trustworthy->PrOjEcTGS<- is extremely helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to ->PrOjEcTGS<- Send a message via Yahoo to ->PrOjEcTGS<-
Not too worried about them being sticky. Just a good all around tire for year round driving and maybe one or two drag strip days.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,658
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 1
With that 440 wear rating, they will last a good while unless your blowing the tires off FWD style.
View photos of this member's car 

Old 08-08-2009, 07:29 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,584
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 23
I have some Eagle GT's on my car but they don't look like those, the sidewalls look exactly the same, but the tread pattern is different, more of an all-season look to them, and I paid $105 for mine from Wally-World.

I personally think they're pretty grippy on my fwd car, but for corners they feel too...soft? I know that sounds weird but that's what comes to mind when I think about taking corners in them.

Old 08-08-2009, 04:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,332
Photos: 10
Classifieds Rating: 11
Reputation: crimsondragon is extremely helpful and trustworthycrimsondragon is extremely helpful and trustworthycrimsondragon is extremely helpful and trustworthy
I'm running 3 Goodyear GT's now. They're a pretty nice DD tires. Don't expect to win races though. I would not use these for serious track work.

Kanade: 06 Ninja250

Old 08-08-2009, 05:55 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Well, my car currently does DD duties. It generally sees the track once a year. And that's just to show myself that I'm still improving on the car. I've got a set of winter wheels/tires but they're 15's and are really skinny. They're awesome in the snow though!! I'm going to be refinishing the stock wheels and throw some new tires on them and for my needs these look great! Just looking for other DSMer's opinions.

If you have experience with any other High Performance All Season tires in the same price range please let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob10_99 View Post
With that 440 wear rating, they will last a good while unless your blowing the tires off FWD style.
It's just a 16g AWD car!! I only plan to spin the tires if I do a fatty launch!!

Old 08-14-2009, 11:31 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 808

just put them on the Talon

They are kinda heavy. But I really like them. For a 440 Treadwear rating they are sticker than my Falken Azenis 512s. They weigh 2.75 pounds more than my same size Falken Azenis 512. I just went out and romped the shit out of them and really liked them! They have a nice stiff sidewall. I am running them in 225/45/17 size.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:59 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoha2 View Post
They are kinda heavy. But I really like them. For a 440 Treadwear rating they are sticker than my Falken Azenis 512s. They weigh 2.75 pounds more than my same size Falken Azenis 512. I just went out and romped the shit out of them and really liked them! They have a nice stiff sidewall. I am running them in 225/45/17 size.
Now this is the type of info I've been looking for. Thanks man!!!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:56 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again

I love them!!! I just got done doing 400 miles round trip to eau claire Wi to meet up with a friend who is a dsm mechanic. Just a little more trouble shooting. We found a really loose wastegate actuator that was rattling around. What can I say? I love these tires. They are sticker than my Falken Azenis 512s. and are really fun to corner in the rain on! And they are quieter than the Falkens. Whisper quiet. I can't hear them at all! I'm really diggin 'em!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:39 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Update on these tires on my friends WRX, Do not buy these tires if you enjoy driving really hard and your car has a tendency to understeer. You will destroy the outside edge. we drove up to the mountains on a little cruise and his tires are wrecked on the outside edge and it was only about 100 miles round trip. Goodyears have had this problem since I first ran them back in the 90's. We were hoping with the new tread design and new compounds that this would not happen but it did.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:12 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,584
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 23
Is your friend's car lowered? You sure his camber is ok?

Old 08-31-2009, 06:45 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitatguy187 View Post
Is your friend's car lowered? You sure his camber is ok?
Stock ride height and camber is in spec. we are going to mess with the alignment specs after the holiday to dial out some of the understeer that should help a bit but the damage is already done for the most part. I thought my stock TSi plowed bad but its nothing like his WRX.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:30 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Eagle gt

Well so far I've been very happy with mine. They are much stickier than my falken 512s. They do amazing in a heavy rainfall.