The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

[RESOLVED] OEM Knuckle / control arm question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbosax2

Nov 19, 2006
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
I'm looking to replace my front knuckles and all four front lower control arms. For the left side, these are the parts I would need.
Front lateral arm (MR296295) - $31.91
Front curved arm (MR296291) - $202.61
Knuckle (MR223628) - $265.77

I was looking through CAPS and found a knuckle kit (knuckle, lateral arm, and curved arm) and it is significantly cheaper than purchasing all 3 separately. The part number for the left kit is MR325009 ($118.47).

Things I know about the separate parts:
96-99 knuckles all contain the same revised part number (includes ABS and non-ABS)
95-99 lateral arms all contain the same revised part number
95-99 curved arms do have a few different part numbers, but I think they now are all revised and the same part
95 VIN displays **NO DATA** when I try to view a knuckle, but shows the part number for the knuckle kit
96-99 VIN's display **NO DATA** when I try to view the knuckle kit, but shows the part number for the knuckle

My question is: will the knuckle kit work on my '99? I've talked to a few places that sell oem parts and nobody can confirm yes or no for me. The only way to find out is to order the kit, and if it doesn't work too bad for me.

I'm looking to replace my front knuckles and all four front lower control arms. For the left side, these are the parts I would need.

I was looking through CAPS and found a knuckle kit (knuckle, lateral arm, and curved arm) and it is significantly cheaper than purchasing all 3 separately. The part number for the left kit is MR325009 ($118.47).

Things I know about the separate parts:
96-99 knuckles all contain the same revised part number (includes ABS and non-ABS)
95-99 lateral arms all contain the same revised part number
95-99 curved arms do have a few different part numbers, but I think they now are all revised and the same part
95 VIN displays **NO DATA** when I try to view a knuckle, but shows the part number for the knuckle kit
96-99 VIN's display **NO DATA** when I try to view the knuckle kit, but shows the part number for the knuckle

My question is: will the knuckle kit work on my '99? I've talked to a few places that sell oem parts and nobody can confirm yes or no for me. The only way to find out is to order the kit, and if it doesn't work too bad for me.

I was trying to price out these same parts (minus the knuckle) through my local dealer today, and was told the lateral arm could not be purchased on its own any longer. The only way to get it was with the knuckle kit. I have a '98 GST and they used the VIN to confirm the part numbers given from my slightly dated CAPS program.

I am curious on your price though. I see that is what JNZ sells MR325009/10 for but the price I got was about $80 more for the kit. And they are usually cheaper than JNZ by a few bucks with no shipping charges...thanks to shop discounts. :thumb:

The kit should work for your car. Just call a dealer with your vin # and have them check for you. Then give JNZ you part numbers. :D

I know the lateral arm can be purchased on it's own, I just purchased both of them a month ago before I knew this kit was a possibility. The part number has changed though, CAPS does not display the revised part. That price came right from JNZ's site. I already checked my vin on my own CAPS and the knuckle kit comes up with **NO DATA**. Did you order both of the kits? Maybe you can take pictures of them for me and check part numbers on all the pieces?

I think that the knuckle kit would be fine for you. But,i t's not like I have any "proof" or anything, but, having gone through this (and now having wished I knew about the knuckle kit) I found that all the parts are interchangeable on 2g's. As far as I know, any of the differences between parts themselves has been nullified with revisions and part number changes to the effect of having a one size fits all kind of scenario.

Is there a specific part that you're concerned will not be compatible with a 99?

I'm mostly concerned with the knuckle. Like you said, as far as I know all the parts are the same, but I'm not positive. And I would hate to waste $120 to find out that I'm wrong.

When I work on my car, we'll take my knuckle off and try it on yours.

Surely the best method. But can we not just compare part numbers? e.g. '95 knuckle part # vs. 99 knuckle part #?
We've already established that they all use the same part, right?

I don't think you'll have any trouble, but like you said, that's your $120, not mine.

A '95 vin provides no part number for the knuckle in caps.

The only year that has the knuckle and 2 control arms as a package (and gives you a part number in CAPS) is '95. He would like to purchase this package since it's around $120 for all 3 pieces. The other option is to purchase all 3 pieces separately using his '99 VIN, but at a price of around $500 per side.

Is caps the only source for such information? Online OEM catalogs indicate that the parts are interchangeable within those years, as I'm sure you know. I just don't see cause for alarm.
Let us know how it goes.

Honestly, I never even think to check online sources, caps is all I use. I'll try looking around at online catalogs and see if I can find out anything about the kits too. You're probably right and I'm just being paranoid. It will probably be a few months until I can order the kits anyway.

After researching about the curved arm, there are 2 different part numbers for them. And according to here, the 97-99 compression arms are much thicker/wider/stronger than the 95-96 arms, although they are both dimensionally the same.

The reason the "Knuckle package" only exists for 95 is because the package converts a 95 car to post-95 spec. Among other subtle differences, the ball joint pins are shorter on the 95 arms and the 'heel' of the knuckle, through which the ball joint pins pass, is thinner on a 95 knuckle - meaning that 95 arms aren't safe on a post-95 car (threads don't lock properly in the nut) and that post-95 arms interfere with the driveshaft when fitted to a 95.

This all makes buying the 95 package something of a bargain, particularly if you're fighting an axle to the hub. I haven't bought the kit in a few years, but it was remarkably cheap last time I did.

So if I understand you correctly, I can use the 95 knuckle kits on my 99, but I must use all 3 pieces from it. And from then on replace pieces with the 95 pieces for maintenance. Just don't mix and match early and late pieces? Do you know if the early compression arms are really weaker than the later ones?

That is exactly the reason I need to purchase these - both of my axles are stuck in the hubs, and I figured I might as well replace the control arms while I'm at it.

So if I understand you correctly, I can use the 95 knuckle kits on my 99, but I must use all 3 pieces from it. And from then on replace pieces with the 95 pieces for maintenance. Just don't mix and match early and late pieces? Do you know if the early compression arms are really weaker than the later ones?

That is exactly the reason I need to purchase these - both of my axles are stuck in the hubs, and I figured I might as well replace the control arms while I'm at it.

Yes and no - the 95 kit contains actual 96-99 parts, so in your case you can mix'n'match as convenience presents. It's only the 95s that must use the entire kit as none of the 96+ parts are actually compatible (even though they might appear so) with 95 parts.

The early compression arms _have_ to be weaker as there's less metal in them (in the important places). As to whether that's a good or bad thing is another matter... I never felt any flex out of the 95 parts, and the car was pulling over a G laterally and under braking; I couldn't tell any difference when I changed one side to the kit and left the other side 95-spec. Plus, the stronger the compression arm is, the more likely it is to take out the subframe as well in an impact, rather than just absorbing everything itself.

From Eric:

Oh ok, so the kit comes with late compression arms, not '95 compression arms? I was thinking that the kit came with '95 arms. I assume that the knuckles would be for ABS, correct?

To clarify, the left kit (MR325009) would come with these parts:

Hello all, It has been some time. I went through this as well but, being in Germany makes it a little more of a hassel to get parts from online vendors. I eventually had to order the curvered lateral with ball joint and the straight one separetly from AutoZone. When you speak about the knuckel, what are you talking about?
Thanks
Chris

When you speak about the knuckel, what are you talking about?

This piece, also called the spindle.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks to be a good find, if this kit does infact include the "larger" 96+ components? I need a curved arm & was going to replace both laterial arms , just because. But at the price of the kit, I'll buy it for both sides. It sounds like it but would like some verification that the parts in this kit are the same as my 98 parts? When you look up the part number online it is saying W/O ABS (but I've found descriptions to not always be correct). I confirmed the kit part# in CAPS using a 95VIN that was ABS, so I'm thinking they probably are infact ABS knuckles? I guess for me it doesn't matter either way, since I don't have ABS.

According to your sig you're a 2G - ABS is irrelevant on a 2G if you don't have it to start with. The ONLY (suspension) differences are a drilled pilot hole on the upright and a "cog" pressed onto the axle. ABS parts work perfectly on a non-ABS car - Vice versa, less so, as I unwittingly discovered :)

I have ABS though, so this is a concern for me. The knuckles in the kit are for abs?

Thanks so much for the info. Does the knuckle need to be replaced on a regular basis such as for instants tie rods?
Thanks

Thanks so much for the info. Does the knuckle need to be replaced on a regular basis such as for instants tie rods?
Thanks

No, the knuckle itself isn't something that normally needs to be changed (or changed at regular intervals). The front would only need to be changed if it gets physically damaged, etc.

Marked as resolved. I bought both kits, they have the holes for the abs sensors, and everything fits fine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back