The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

hx40- 682whp/573tq

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard33

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 25, 2009
Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Went to the dyno this morning to finish up the tuning for this weekends event. Ended up making 682/573 but snapped the shaft in the process. I put my spare on the car now and getting the oiling situation figured out for the event. Should be some good times if the car can stay together. Videos and pictures to come.

Mods are:
2.0 9:1 eagle/wiesco combo with L19s
stock head with BC 272 cams and supertech dual valve springs.
SLS manifold
6 blade hx40 with BEP t3 backhousing.
JMF race intake manifold and 3" intercooler
DSMlink and e85

Car was tuned by shane @ ASAPerformance.
ASAP eclipse hx40 dyno - YouTube
ASAP eclipse hx40 dyno - YouTube

Last edited:
Congrats bro, sucks about the turbo.

That's gotta be close to a record huh

Is this the .70 housing or the .55...

I have yet to see anyone maximize their setups and yet this turbo still puts out some dope power. Better manifold, way better cams, higher compression, built heads, etc etc. (OPs head setup couldn't be any worse *apart from stock* for making power up top LOL) This is easily a 700whp 5spd or 600whp auto turbo.

No reason someone can't run 8s with it on a properly set up lw 1g.

Dammmmm!!!!! Thought u had a 7 blade, LOL i need to stop playing around with my shit

I wonder how much more eh could have squeaked out with the more efficient 7 blade?

Last edited:
The t3 .70 AR housing. It made 650 on 40lbs and 680 on 45ish lbs. I now have a 7 blade billet wheel in the car. First dyno pull was on 35lbs I made 623 which was a little less than 100whp pick up from my 527whp # with the hx35 at the same boost level.

The t3 .70 AR housing. It made 650 on 40lbs and 680 on 45ish lbs. I now have a 7 blade billet wheel in the car. First dyno pull was on 35lbs I made 623 which was a little less than 100whp pick up from my 527whp # with the hx35 at the same boost level.

Why does your original post say a 6 blade? Were these times made with the 6 or the 7?

Also, what "shaft" broke? Was a question asked earlier, thanks.

(If I am putting 2 together, times were made on the original 6 blade which broke and now you put a 7 blade on?)

I dynoed the car this morning on a 6 blade. Made 3 or 4 pulls. On the last pull the turbo shaft snapped at the top of tr pull. since then I have put on my spare billet wheel 7 blade for the event this weekend I am trying to compete in at our local track.

So you could technically fine tune it for a bit more power with the 7 blade.. What caused the shaft failure? I think that's more important than any of the numbers you made right now?

I brought it to a diesel turbo shop (rpm diesel) and they inspected it. Told me lack of oil so we made some adjustments to the setup and should be good to go. I don't know how much more power is left in it. I do need to get my throttle body rebuilt cause its leaking pretty bad. The only thing left is to do some head work but I don't think that's going to happen soon. We'll see. I need to make some passes to back up the numbers though.

Probably another 40whp in your head alone..

Nice numbers. Just curious on your feed setup. 4an from filter housing with .1 restrictor?

Thats nuts!!! I would like to know what my numbers are, maybe one day... I'm limited to only 38lbs of boost right now with my 1200cc injectors. Next year with the added fuel supply Ill try out 45lbs of boost!

Congrats man!

Thanks guys. The car is on Dsmlink but don't have the logs. The restrictor is a .93 or so. But I've been having oiling issues so hopefully this works now. My 1600s and 2 bosch 044s seem to be about maxed out at high boost but enough to run it.

Not to discredit nearly 700whp from this turbo, but 573lb/ft of torque? That is completely ridiculous! Usually at some point your torque numbers start to suffer when you switch to a large-airflow turbo because the powerband is located so close to (or even later than) 5250.

Think of it this way- this setup probably reaches full boost around 4500; maximum torque is extracted around 5250. So in that 700rpm window, nearly 600 lb/ft of torque happens.....really quick.

These HX40's are making retarded-high torque numbers. We have dacowgod at 521tq, turbodsm18 at 527tq, richard33 at 573tq, and badman21 with 618tq. Unreal.

Great work, Richard. Looking forward to the ported head results! :thumb:

Last edited:
Here are some pics. The videos are taking a while to load.

This is a crappy cell phone pic of the dyno graph. Red was the 682 pull and blue was the 649 pull
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My fuel setup

And what the car looks like today

Not to discredit nearly 700whp from this turbo, but 573lb/ft of torque? That is completely ridiculous! Usually at some point your torque numbers start to suffer when you switch to a large-airflow turbo because the powerband is located so close to (or even later than) 5250.

Think of it this way- this setup probably reaches full boost around 4500; maximum torque is extracted around 5250. So in that 700rpm window, nearly 600 lb/ft of torque happens.....really quick.

These HX40's are making retarded-high torque numbers. We have dacowgod at 521tq, turbodsm18 at 527tq, richard33 at 573tq, and badman21 with 618tq. Unreal.

Great work, Richard. Looking forward to the ported head results! :thumb:

haha I don't think the head is coming off the car soon. I have to get my throttle body rebuilt and then some suspension stuff first.

Thanks again for all the help and taking the time to respond to my pms these last few days!

Just noticed in the vid- did you dyno with the QTP's on the front? I've always heard that slicks on a dyno can fog your results a little.

Ya I did. These aren't slicks these are my street tires LOL. I ran them at 25psi so I don't know how much different the dyno reading would be. They didn't spin or anything. Are they supposed to increase or hurt the #'s? I've never heard anything like that honestly.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back