The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1995 GSX Project "RedSun" Restore then Gymkhana

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonthefaded

Supporting VIP
Aug 3, 2011
Ewa Beach, Hawaii
JOURNAL ENTRY 1
Project: “RedSun” 1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX 5-Speed Manual Transmission

Goals :
*Full 2Ga to 2Gb Conversion w/ Hardtop conversion

*Full restoration of the exterior (Rust removal, Paint, Tint)

*Interior remodel (Racing seats, Partial Gut-out, Sound system, Grey to Black leather)

*Return 100% of mechanical functionality (In-completed and unaccomplished services , AC, Heat, Sensors, Troubleshoot and remove check engine codes,
etc..)

*Stage 1 Upgrade Path

*Suspension components geared towards Gymkhana (Rally/Autocross)

*Full engine bay cleanup and dress

JOURNAL INDEX
Journal Entry 2 - Apexi, Leaks, Learn and Bro-love

Journal Entry 3 - Unicorns, OEM and The Story So Far

Journal Entry 4 - Fuel, Spark, Air and A Bleak Future

***********************************************************************************
Story:

I purchased this awesome 1995 GSX from a good man named Jim on 9 FEB 2012, I recently sold my 98 GS(R.I.P) for $3000 and just so happened to today pick this bad boy up for $3500. I wanted to build my GS towards Gymkhana but knew all the limitations I was placed with having FWD, but now with AWD and a more powerful power plant (4g63T) I am confident and ready to push my mechanical and technical skill to the limit.

The “RedSun” as I call it, has A LOT of issues. Currently I know I should not drive it very far or harshly, knowing full well that inside the engine bay, there is A LOT of disconnected electrical wires, plugs are unplugged, sensors go unconnected leaving gauges like the engine temperature gauge dead. Grounding wires are corroded, oil is leaking as well as burning in certain areas. Dry rotted, brittle and suspicious lines are visible. It goes unsaid there are a lot of “quick” and sloppy DIY modifications and bolts on all around, ranging from the Glowshift gauge tapped to the dash, to the improperly connected “turbo-timer”, brining back to the UNCIRCULATED Turbonetics BOV.

The RedSun does not come without its decent list of upgrades. Tein Basic Coilover Suspension, 5ziGen MK6 Wheels, New tires, Aftermarket MAF-Intake, Newer upper intercooler plumbing. I am excited and amazed by the gravity of the situation I am in. I finally found the car that I have been searching for awhile now. On the same note I need to fix a lot of things before I can comfortable drive it with no problems. It runs yes, but for how long.
First things first. I need to tackle the rust damage, and repair everything I can body wise, at the same time fixing all of the deficiencies’ in the engine bay and the functionality of the motor and supporting systems. After that I’ll be working my way into the interior of the RedSun … I pray it doesn’t melt my wings of hope on my ascension to Gymkhana.

For even more photos visit my photobucket

Attachments

• IMAG0376.jpg
    IMAG0376.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 241
  • IMAG0385.jpg
    IMAG0385.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 229
  • IMAG0402.jpg
    IMAG0402.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 249
  • IMAG0425.jpg
    IMAG0425.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMAG0423.jpg
    IMAG0423.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 244
  • IMAG0420.jpg
    IMAG0420.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 235
  • IMAG0419.jpg
    IMAG0419.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 245
  • IMAG0439.jpg
    IMAG0439.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 260
  • IMAG0381.jpg
    IMAG0381.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 261
  • IMAG0393.jpg
    IMAG0393.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 230
  • IMAG0394.jpg
    IMAG0394.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMAG0395.jpg
    IMAG0395.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMAG0403.jpg
    IMAG0403.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 237
  • IMAG0400.jpg
    IMAG0400.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IMAG0399.jpg
    IMAG0399.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 234
  • IMAG0397.jpg
    IMAG0397.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Good to see you restoring it, it looks to be in rough shape...now I may be mistaken, but that looks like a 1g intake or something since it doesn't have the spot for the mdp sensor...is it a 6 bolt?

yea now that you took pics that are in the day time it is in pretty bad shape but it will be nice to see this all restored

Thank you all. Yes when I saw it I immediatly thought I want to fully restore it. Especially since these car at least where I'm located are next to impossible to find. To see one in this shape upsets me.

I just wanted to add on that I know very little about these particular motor, myself coming from the 420a world. I can only apply my basic mechanical knowledge to this and learn as much as I can as I progress this resoration and eventual build of this car.

As far as block indentification goes more will be revealed as I keep you all updated further and frequently down this road.

It looks like you have a LOT of little things that need to be addressed in that engine bay alone. I personally hate emissions delete cars, just because they never seem to be as happy as they should be. Maybe its just me... My guess is you have a check engine light on right??

If it helps any, here would be my priorities

Get a full timing belt cover (and check the two timing belts)
check out your fuel pressure regulator situation ( I cant see any vacuum lines going to it and the solenoid doesn't have any either)
make sure you're coil packs are mounted somewhere (the wires look to be dangling)
personally I don't like that upper radiator hose
and I'm sure someone already said about that blow off valve not being recirculated
just to start...

Also to let you know, I'm pretty darn sure that engine (or cylinder head) has been swapped. It has the wrong style cam sensor for that year. The 95 and 96 cars have it on the timing belt side.

Best of luck. I personally love projects so hopefully you do too. Just keep in mind, maintenance and repair can be just as expensive as go fast parts.

I just wanted to add on that I know very little about these particular motor, myself coming from the 420a world. I can only apply my basic mechanical knowledge to this and learn as much as I can as I progress this resoration and eventual build of this car.

As far as block indentification goes more will be revealed as I keep you all updated further and frequently down this road.

Looks like a 6-bolt to me. That would explain some of those disconnected wires and modified connections.

I would like to apologize to all those subscribed to my journal, for the length in time it has taken for me to compile photos and my current progress into an easy to read and enjoyable format. Each update to the build as I had forgot to mention will be about 1 to 3 weeks apart depending on delivery and requsition of my parts and installation as well as resource findings on my project. I assure you that tonight will be a major update. Before my first test flight of project Redsun

For now a sexy preview

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1329523806549.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1329523806549.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 204
That hood latch is killer. Some people should not work on cars LOL. Fix it! I am happy u finnaly got what u wanted! Is that the state inpspecton sticker on the back bumper?

That hood latch is killer. Some people should not work on cars LOL. Fix it! I am happy u finnaly got what u wanted! Is that the state inpspecton sticker on the back bumper?

Yep, I'm legal until June, then I might not be passing safety inspection anymore cause of my exhaust LOL:hellyeah:

Hey DSMtuners! I know it's been almost over a week since I last updated you all but I hope I can give all you guys and gals an update big or small each week, if not every other week depending on how fast I get my parts and how long my money lasts LOL. I figured I'd start this update by restating my goals as well as the modifications to my goals, because let's face it, when you start with an idea, along the way you see better or even more functional (achievable) ideas that either make more sense or just seem better at the time.

Goals :
*Full 2Ga to 2Gb Conversion w/ Hardtop conversion w/High Rise Spoiler

*Full restoration of the exterior (Rust removal, Paint, Tint)

*Interior remodel (Racing seats, Partial Gut-out, Sound system, Grey to Black leather)*Return 100% of mechanical functionality (In-completed and unaccomplished services , AC, Heat, Sensors, Troubleshoot and remove check engine codes,
etc..)

*Stage 1 Upgrade Path

*Suspension components geared towards Gymkhana (Rally/Autocross)

*Full engine bay cleanup and dress

****Items in red are not going to be done****:shhh:

I decided NOT to do a FULL 2ga to 2GB conversion because I feel in love with the passenger side of the Redsun which features the 2ga with the OEM grey strip. That being said I'm hunting for the drivers side OEM side skirt. I do however still want to find a 2GB front bumper and I'm considering the rear
bumper as well but that grey strip and reverse lights really turn me on... (ahem). In any case I'm still going to change out the rear spoiler and ATTEMPT a hardtop conversion. I decided not to gut this car out. I don't care about weight right now and the interior on the Redsun is cherry! Grey to black leather is going to take entirely too long to do and honestly, the Redsun looks fine with Grey interior. In other words STOCK is best looking and far superior to anything looks wise aftermarket out there in my opinion. My first test flight was completed on 17 FEB 2012 with only minor issues involving boost leak and oil leakage. Take note... one doesn't miss AC until they don't have it! (Hint for next time)

So what I started working on ALL of my vacuum lines last week with the very helpful Dsmkauai (THANKS BRO!!). The Previous owner attempted... well I have no freaking clue what they were attempting but they failed miserably. After all
of the vacuum lines were properly installed, I was able to achieve actual boost. The end result was pathetic at best but I was making progress none the less.
The Redsun still ran like crap, because of an uncirculated Turbonetics BOV, after finding some old radiator hose and some basic clamps, I was able to recirculate the BOV and the end result was a properly running and idling engine, as well as even BETTER boost. The Glowshift boost gauge was giving me readings of 7-8 PSI at WOT (wide open throttle). Even I a first time 4g63 owner know that is way below stock and what most of our community is pushing, so I decided to begin chasing down possible causes of this lack of boost.

Meanwhile searching for repair parts for the Redsun I found the cause of the MAJOR leak under the engine bay... the turbo oil return line! I used a very simple process of degreasing (Also degreased the engine bay itself), using Purple Power and my garden hose I cleaned the entire under carriage of the Redsun and let the car sit for around 12 hours on ramps. It was easy to spot the only oily part of the undercarriage being the oil return line from the turbo. Not only is this an easy fix but I will be killing three of four birds with one stone when I swap the EBay POS turbo for the 14B I'm currently rebuilding.
Unfortunately I ran into some snags rebuilding the turbo. I snapped the turbine wheel and shaft in half during disassembly. After consulting Justin (the messiah of turbochargers) given his expert advice and overstock of replacement parts, as well as proper turbo rebuild instructions I am confident that when all my turbo parts arrive I will have a properly functioning turbo.

Now for the good news! After careful debate over a proper exhaust system, I chose a 3in Straight custom pipe system with an Apexi N1 Turbo Muffler (Applause) professionally installed by DJ Motorsports, muffler provided by none other than Exhaust Systems Hawaii! They tried to talk me outa getting this system said that the piping and muffler were wrong. Told me to go with a Magnaflow V band muffler instead and 2.25 inch piping. Thanks to you tuners and your quick responses... I stared them down and told them it's my car. I know what's best :hellyeah::rocks::hellyeah::rocks:

I encounted heavy boost leak on the way home, at full WOT which finally pushed my PSI to 10-11. I think the exhaust system installed gave me what I needed power wise. When I got home I quickly looked over my connections and found all the problems. Now Redsun runs better than ever before!

Along with new parts I have on the way the first round of replacement as well as upgrade parts:

Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator,
Mishimoto Fan shroud kit,
Mishimoto Silicone Radiator Hoses
Mishimoto Street Style intercooler (Black)
NGR Greddy Style BOV
MIT OEM Sparkplug cover
MIT OEM BOV Recirculation Tube
Driver Side door cap
Wink Mirror (I love them this time no stickers)
Bonehead Performance Oil Feed Line Kit
OEM 14B/16G/20G Waste gate Actuator
14B Turbine Shaft/wheel
14B TD05H Rebuild kit

Okay DSMtuners, I don't know what else to say so I'm gonna STFU and post some pictures but before that I want to thank the following people for putting up with my PM and text message harassment and scatter brain meltdowns over the Redsun

Dsmkauai – You're the best DSM ohana a guy could ask for!
JusMX141- Turbochargers are new to be but you're an awesome teacher!
Johnathan Hopkins- Giving me no BS and straight from the hip
And all you other DSMtuners

For even more photos visit my photobucket

Attachments

• IMAG0518.jpg
    IMAG0518.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 1329285537179.jpg
    1329285537179.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 186
  • IMAG0536.jpg
    IMAG0536.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMAG0514.jpg
    IMAG0514.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 164
  • IMAG0521.jpg
    IMAG0521.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 179
  • IMAG0558.jpg
    IMAG0558.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMAG0504.jpg
    IMAG0504.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 185
  • IMAG0542.jpg
    IMAG0542.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 190
  • IMAG0554.jpg
    IMAG0554.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 183
  • IMAG0548.jpg
    IMAG0548.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMAG0551.jpg
    IMAG0551.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 166
  • IMAG0549.jpg
    IMAG0549.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 185
  • IMAG0544.jpg
    IMAG0544.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMAG0545.jpg
    IMAG0545.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 168
  • IMAG0543.jpg
    IMAG0543.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMAG0557.jpg
    IMAG0557.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 170
  • IMAG0559.jpg
    IMAG0559.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMAG0556.jpg
    IMAG0556.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 177
Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.

Do some good things with this car and your red chicklet will probably disappear.
:p

LOL:p You Mods are rediculous but good spirited

:pray:This car is the last car I will EVER buy. Build. Droll over. :sneaky:

Tomorrow I head over to a guy named Douglas's place. He has 4 2g DSM's sitting there for parts. Hopefully I can snag a GST or GSX whole or all the body parts I need. Maybe something extra who knows! Although I always feel bad when I strip cars for parts, especially DSMs...:cry:

got to take care of that rust homes it looks like it already eaten a big chunk rust is always bigger than it looks bet you you got about 5 more inches of rust not visible.

got to take care of that rust homes it looks like it already eaten a big chunk rust is always bigger than it looks bet you you got about 5 more inches of rust not visible.

Yes the rust is still an issue, I'm considering attempting to remove the rust myself, but I'm not exactly bodywork smart no matter how many how-to's I read and watch. Alot of the "Body shops" around here do not do rust. My option is my self or MAACO

I wanna say tech center,I am not if its right. Helped a friend paint his car on base and they loaned out tools and the booth. Dont they have something like that were u are at? Did his in DC.

Get a 1g throttle body to take advantage of the 1g intake manifold opening size. The 2g doesn't match up.

I am glad you pointed that out, I was doing some research in indentifying if the throttle body on there was in fact from a 1g. I might take advantage of this 92 GSX for sale for parts on my local cragslist.

There are two bases on oahu with hobby shops one on schofield barracks and one near pearl harbor. The one on schofield has a paint booth, and almst every tool you could need related to automotive. They change 5 dollar an hour for bay use, 6 for the bays with lifts. The paint booth requires a 100 dollar deposit and its around 15 dollars an hour.

I am glad you pointed that out, I was doing some research in indentifying if the throttle body on there was in fact from a 1g. I might take advantage of this 92 GSX for sale for parts on my local cragslist.

There are two bases on oahu with hobby shops one on schofield barracks and one near pearl harbor. The one on schofield has a paint booth, and almst every tool you could need related to automotive. They change 5 dollar an hour for bay use, 6 for the bays with lifts. The paint booth requires a 100 dollar deposit and its around 15 dollars an hour.

Well thier u go. Repair and prime a panel at a time. When u get her all done, then set up your both time for paint.

If you need advice on the body and paint just ask. U will save alot of money if u do it your self and take your time, And to be honest I think u could do a better job than crapo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back