The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

How To: Shifter cable and brackets: Diff. between 90-91 DSM & VR4 trans

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivestardsm

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 16, 2002
Morley_Michigan
I had posted this a while ago in another thread to show what to look for, but I thought I would start a seperate thread just for them so here it is.

This is just to show the difference and similarities between GVR4's and DSM's with the difference pointed out about the missconception of the usage of a 90 DSM trans in a 91 model VR4 or DSM.

Just so you know, The transmission cases are the same! You can run a 90 in a 91, or vise-versa as long as you swap out the brackets and and shifter arms. The shifter arms are the only reason why the cables dont work when you do this swap.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CHANGE THE CABLES AND SHIFTER BASE!!!

I mis-labled these as brackets in the picture, but ment to call them shifter arms!vv

The last picture is of the cables sitting next to eachother. The top ones are from the VR4, the second set down, are from a 1991 and up DSM, and the third set down are from a 1990 DSM. The VR4, and 1991 and up DSM are the same. The difference in length between the 1990, and the vr4/91 up, is roughly 1 3/8 of an inch on only one of the cables. The other cable is the same length.

Attachments

• shifter arm diff.jpg
    shifter arm diff.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2,692
  • shifter arm diff 2.jpg
    shifter arm diff 2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 2,939
  • shifter backet diff 2.jpg
    shifter backet diff 2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,956
  • shifter bracket diff.jpg
    shifter bracket diff.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 3,249
  • shifter braket diff.jpg
    shifter braket diff.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,205
  • shifter cable diff.jpg
    shifter cable diff.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 2,285
Last edited:
How do I drive the pin out? Do you have any suggestions for me? I pounded with a hammer with a punch and it didn't work. How did you get it seperated?

I'm dealing with the same thing swaping a 90 transmission into a 91, I don't have a punch so I will get one tomorrow but like the guy said I should be able to just tap the pin out. Thanks for taking the time to make this, it reassured me that the pin does come out.

So how do you drive the drift pin? I am guessing I need a press correct? There is no way hitting this pin will make it ever come out.

Hitting that pin out with the shift shaft in the trans will only damage the needle bearings that hold that shaft on center in the hole and possibly cause poor shifting. At least it did for me on my fwd 5-speed trans. Unless you can secure the shaft to where it don't try to mash sideways while getting the solid retaining pin out I would leave it and get the proper bellhousing with the lever you need or trade or sell your trans for the one you need.

Don't try to heat it up as you will only destroy the seal under that extension boot and cause it to leak gear oil when you drive around.

To get that pin out you can use an air chisel (best), or use a hand chisel and a hammer (not easy way).

Best of luck to your work and please take the percautions I told you into consideration and if you need pictures of these bearings and seals to better understand how that shaft is assembled and what surrounds it I can post them up or pm them to ya.

Just to add to this thread, I installed a 92 trans in my 90. I changed the arm and brackets. It would not shift into 2nd gear at high rpm, I had to adjust the one cable longer and issue fixed!!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back