The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Diffs & LSDs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The LSDs article was updated, since it's really true that the silicone goo increases in viscosity with temp. Thanks to all that provided info and links.

- Jtoby

The LSDs article was updated, since it's really true that the silicone goo increases in viscosity with temp. Thanks to all that provided info and links.

- Jtoby

Question on that, after a spring track day in LV I found that I could freely spin a rear tire when the other three were on the ground. After things cooled down and I had gone home I could no longer do the same.

I figured the rear LSD had gotten so hot it lost its "locking" ability, but that doesn't jive with the above articles. Thoughts?

Most fluids lose viscosity as they heat up. For a long time, I thought that the fluid in a VC was like this and that the hard lock that you reach when the VC is very hot was the plate-to-plate contact only. But people kept saying that the goo was something special that increases viscosity and, while I could find no peer-reviewed paper on it, there were enough statements to the same effect out there that I changed the article to what it says now. This has always bugged me, because I'm not 100% sure of that part, but as time passed, I got over my worries and went on with life.

Thanks a bunch for bringing all of the worries back. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
overheating the silicone fluid causes sudden loss of the LSD effect. fails in the 'open' state.

it does expand/add friction when heated to a point, and that causes the initial tranfer of the LSD function. at a certain point of expansion they cause the plates to lock together (because only half the plates have holes for it to pass through while the other half get forced over) its like a cross between a torque converter and a wet clutch.

also the silicone fluid in a viscous coupling has a life expectancy of 60,000 miles under normal use. after that its pretty much open anyway, and since its non-serviceable in our case, the core needs swapped for it to be good again. (actually mine seems to hold a lot of torque still and im at 120,000 miles and half that has been sheer abuse)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back