The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

MIVEC on Older 4G63's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiggly

Supporting Vendor
Feb 17, 2003
Ann Arbor, Michigan
As most of you probably know, I adapted EVO9 MIVEC hardware onto my 1g drag car using a 2g cylinder head. Although I said I never would, I'm now looking at offering this to the public.

The main reason I never intended to offer DSMIVEC publicly was due to how difficult it was to drill the oil feed holes in the head if you intended to never break out of the OEM casting. It was a blind drill of 0.080" holes that had to meet 1.5" away - which was extremely difficult to get right. Since then, I figured out a much easier way to make the difficult oil feed hole. The new method purposefully breaks out of the casting and just drills a straight line to feed the oil to the rear cam port. This new oil feed is then finished off by sliding in a small aluminum tube and bonding it in place with loctite retaining compound. If you're careful freehand drilling all of this, it works out fine.

This isn't a simple modification, but it isn't brain surgery either. The drilling of the ports does have some risk of destroying a head if it is done wrong.

From a parts point of view, the whole setup requires a crank trigger, hydraulic control valve and distribution block, a specially ground cam, one feed line to the block, two feed lines to the cams, one drain from the block, an EVO9 intake cam gear, and some sort of system to control this. Many aftermarket ECU's support this in a feedback sense, but even just using this as an on-off rpm switch works reasonably well. Honestly, I'm using it like this in my drag car where it is fully retarded at idle, fully advanced for spoolup and until about 7k, then fully retarded beyond that. I'm thinking of a kit that would include the first 3 items in this list and detailed instructions for the remainder, including a template and details for the drilling.

Is there much interest in this? I figured with the growing popularity of auto setups nowadays this is something a lot of people could benefit from, just as I have. I'm guessing the total invested to complete the hardware will be about $2k, so this isn't an inexpensive modification by any means. In an application that is close to spooling on the converter though, it is a replacement for nitrous and can extend the rpm range dramatically.

Let me know what you guys think and if this is in or way out of bounds of what some of you with more serious builds would consider.

Thanks,
Kevin

Would it be possible to control this via dsmlink?

/A

That is really cool. Although i probably would not attempt this, would love to see some photos of the setup. Sounds really neat!

While the question about spoolup is a very valid question, it is also a tough one to answer. The more I advance the intake cam, the better it spools and the less power it makes up top. With recent setups at fully retarded to a ~130deg centerline it would not spool at all on the converter (we're talking 0.5psi and hanging out at 3500rpm) and fully advanced to a ~85deg centerline it would spool up to the 2-step rpm in about 2.0 seconds. The fully advanced position would sacrifice about 100whp to the retarded position at 9k.

I can't do a good A-B for exact spoolup rpm due to the torque converter and automatic setup interacting with the power curve. If I had to field a guess though, I'd probably say a 1000rpm difference at least with my 76mm turbo. I just looked through some logs and where I have normal timing just after launch the converter stalls up to about 5500rpm for somewhere in the 15-20psi range. At 6000rpm and about 25psi the boost ramp-up shape starts looking pretty vertical, which I think is pretty good for a 2.3l with a 76mm turbo and an 87mm turbine wheel in a 1.1AR housing. Wild guess based on this response is if you could lug it with a 5spd it would be full boost around 6k.

Thanks,
Kevin

This is something I'd be interested in as adapting MIVEC to my 2g was something I have been thinking about for awhile just haven't got my hands on a cam though.
I'm thinking though that it would be a good idea for both cams. Just take two mivec cams and regrind one to the exhaust profile and you should be able to adapt mivec for intake and exhaust. Or since the 9 is already opposite of the dsm maybe the intake MIVEC cam would be drop in for the exhaust?
It should be easily controlled by link through such functions as nos control or one of the solenoid control functions. As you could just setup the solenoid to control flow at the hydraulic valve and set it to activate and deactivate at certain rpms.

I'm very interested as well, Kevin. Based on what you said, getting up on the converter on my 67mm shouldn't be too much of an issue off the bottle. Sucks that I just built a 1g head but it's worth selling i'd say.

I'm very interested as well, Kevin. Based on what you said, getting up on the converter on my 67mm shouldn't be too much of an issue off the bottle. Sucks that I just built a 1g head but it's worth selling i'd say.

Does the head have to be a 2G for the Mivec conversion?

Not a direct plug in? I don't have my IX with me but if my memory serves me correct the IX and VIII ECU's are the same as far as plugs and technically could be swapped with no plug in issue. If I'm mistaken please correct me.

I've worked on both, and the IX ecu has 3 plugs instead of 4. Would love to put a 9 ecu in my 1g w/ Mivec.

Evo9 in a 2G/Evo8 « ceddy.us

As a result of the Import Face Off event changing the FIS rules to only allow one power adder, I've been on the hunt for alternatives to my 100 shot staging spool up aid.

Advancing intake cam timing was one of the suggested fixes and based on this, I've been pumping Kevin for MIVEC information over the last couple of months. He has been very forthcoming with information and details about the conversion.

With his guidance, using normal garage tools, I now have a functional 1g MIVEC head sitting on my workbench. There are several custom Kiggly parts that are required, and a bit of machine work will be needed (cost me $90).

I'll not have it bolted up and tested for a couple months yet as I also have a bunch of other changes to the car in flight. And yes, I plan on using ECMLink to control the cam timing.

Thank You Kevin for all of your help so far, without your support to the DSM community, this wouldn't even remotely be possible.

Here is a teaser of my effort so far:

Attachments

• My_1g_MIVEC_Project (14).jpg
    My_1g_MIVEC_Project (14).jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,072
  • My_1g_MIVEC_Project (12).jpg
    My_1g_MIVEC_Project (12).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,578
Last edited:
Yeah I know it's a hard answer. A lot of variables (compression,converter,cams). My 2.4 with a billet journal bearing 4294 would be nice. I just think nitrous, mivec, and use the mivec to control pushing through the brakes. A lot of stuff can be done!

I'm speechless. Thanks for offering this Kiggly and to johnnytsi, I'm planning on putting together a 2.4 LR with 1G head and this would be awesome since I also do not want to use nitrous because of classing issues.

This could use a 1g or 2g head, they are identical for this purpose.

As far as a MIVEC exhaust - yes, an EVO9 intake cam would work there as far as the rocker geometry is concerned. I don't think it is even remotely close to worth the effort though. Once you get into the cam size range that works for high power, high rpm setups and you start advancing the intake cam to where it spools best the limits become valve clash. This is both valve to piston and valve to valve at max intake advance. I've played around with other exhaust timings and where I need it for clearance (118deg CL) made just slightly better power than 108deg. I figured it would want to be later timing, but it really didn't care much at all. If you're running smaller cams where clearance isn't as much of an issue, intake cam timing is still at least 2x more sensitive than exhaust cam timing for low rpm spoolup.

Thanks,
Kevin

I hate to say this, but I honestly feel that if you sold this to a few people actually willing to buy it for what it would be worth, the information would get leaked out pretty quickly. For that reason, I think it would be in your best interest to keep it a secret until you are ready to make it public.

I'm highly interested in this to. Anything you produce for the dsm community is very well worth what you ask.

I'm just glad I haven't built my head yet for my new street car. You'll be hearing from me again soon Kevin.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back