The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Block Identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamahaulin

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 30, 2010
Bowling Green, Kentucky
How can you tell what block you have? Is there any serial numbers on it or identifying markings?

How would you know if it is a 2.4 4g64? i bought a 6 bolt 2.4 shortblock off a member here, and it has an eagle crank and JE pistons, just trying to figure out what block it is.

In addition to the VIN which will tell you (if the 8th digit is "G", it is a 2.4L), the actual engine code will be stamped on the exhaust side of the block towards the timing belt on this flat extrusion:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

My knock sensor screwed right into the back of my n/t block.
Then someone drilled/tapped a fitting for it in your N/T block, its not really a N/T block, or someone at Mitsu messed up back in the early '90s and you have the only N/T block with a knock sensor.
Look at a N/T 1g ECU wiring diagram, theres no knock sensor so they didn't have a place for it in the back of the block.

I have a block down in the garage and I keep seeing posts to check the VIN #, there is no VIN on that block and I've damn near looked over it with a magnify glass. Maybe to help the OP take a picture of the location of the VIN on a block, I would but mine doesn't have one on it.

:dsm:

No disrespect Corey, but it is possible that some N/T blocks were drilled and tapped, some weren't. My 1990 N/T block (built in Dec. '89) has the hole drilled and tapped for the knock sensor and I absolutely guarantee the engine was never pulled before I did a turbo swap.

It is also possible that the VIN on your block has been shaved. Here is the location of where the VIN should be on the block. I have yet to personally encounter a block that hasn't had a VIN there.

Last edited:
No disrespect Corey, but it is possible that some N/T blocks were drilled and tapped, some weren't. My 1990 N/T block (built in Dec. '89) has the hole drilled and tapped for the knock sensor and I absolutely guarantee the engine was never pulled before I did a turbo swap.
Non taken, now your going to tell me some of the N/T 1g blocks had oil squirter's too? :p I believe you, I can't say I've seen every 1g N/T block out there so I guess its possible. Thats how I've always checked to see if its a N/T 6-bolt or not, just look for the knock sensor spot on the back.

Thanks for the VIN # location picture, now I'm going to put it to the test. :sneaky:

Ok guys, my new shortblock does not have anything stamped where the bellhousing is but on the side under the exhaust it has 90F29 in small letters then a big 2.4 cast into the block. So I assume it is a 2.4 block. My old shortblock has a number on the bellhousing and it doesn't have 2.4 cast into the side. Anyone know what the 2.4 block came out of and what year? Also found this number under the exhaust G4CS L322537

Then someone drilled/tapped a fitting for it in your N/T block, its not really a N/T block, or someone at Mitsu messed up back in the early '90s and you have the only N/T block with a knock sensor.
Look at a N/T 1g ECU wiring diagram, theres no knock sensor so they didn't have a place for it in the back of the block.

I have a block down in the garage and I keep seeing posts to check the VIN #, there is no VIN on that block and I've damn near looked over it with a magnify glass. Maybe to help the OP take a picture of the location of the VIN on a block, I would but mine doesn't have one on it.

The n/t and turbo blocks are the same casting. The turbo blocks have the oil galley tapped for the squirters. What does a harness, and ecu have to do with the engine block having a location you can screw a knock sensor into?

I have a 1990 n/t eclipse block, with no squirters, and a knock sensor screwed into the back of it in my car. This isn't something i heard on the interwebs.

So far the guys posting about n/t 4G63's having the knock senor hole are all 1990 owners but I have a 1991 6 bolt 4G63 n/t and it has the knock sensor hole drilled and tapped as well. Here is a picture to prove it:

Also just to confirm what 19Eclipse90 was saying about the block identification numbers here are some more pictures:

Engine code on the front, under the water pipe by the dipstick.

VIN # on the passenger's side, between the thermostat housing and bellhousing.

Hope this helps clear this up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not disputing this with you guys and I appreciate you clearing it up for people who might make their way into this thread. The number of 6-bolt N/T blocks I've seen I can count on one hand and none of them had a location to put the knock sensor. Its pretty cool some of the N/T blocks have that tapped in the back actually!

So the only, for sure way of knowing, whether or not its a N/T block would be to check for the oil squirter's since we've determined some 4g63 N/T blocks had a spot for the knock sensor.

Ok guys, my new shortblock does not have anything stamped where the bellhousing is but on the side under the exhaust it has 90F29 in small letters then a big 2.4 cast into the block. So I assume it is a 2.4 block. My old shortblock has a number on the bellhousing and it doesn't have 2.4 cast into the side. Anyone know what the 2.4 block came out of and what year? Also found this number under the exhaust G4CS L322537

The G4CS is a 2.4L, 6-bolt block found in Hyundais. You can read to your hearts desire about this block here at this link or by simply searching G4CS as there are many threads out there: Looking for 4g64/g4cs answers? LOOK HERE!!

Nice pictures, Nathan! I never could get the right lighting for a picture of the VIN; they always turned out as bright flashes or blurs. LOL

Nice pictures, Nathan! I never could get the right lighting for a picture of the VIN; they always turned out as bright flashes or blurs. LOL
Speaking of VIN's I was able to pull the number off of the SB '99 bottom end I have out in the garage, they painted over it so its REALLY hard to make out the entire number. I was happy to find the 10th digit though since I could atleast verify the year, I'm thinking about taking some 1000 grit to it and see if I can't reveal the entire number.

Not a problem! My camera has a Micro LED setting so the LED lights up the area and you can get the angles right before taking the picture and you don't have worry about the flash washing it out.

So the only, for sure way of knowing, whether or not its a N/T block would be to check for the oil squirter's since we've determined some 4g63 N/T blocks had a spot for the knock sensor.

That is correct. I would actually say that the majority of 4G63 n/t's have the knock sensor hole. Maybe that changed with the 1g seven bolts?!?! I'm just speculating.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back