The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Time to change rod/main bearings

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossY

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 27, 2002
Canton, Ohio
well i dropped my oil pan today just to take a look around to see if everything was alright(Been forever since something has gone wrong) and i noticed that there was some minor scoring on the main/rod bearings. It wasn't even enough for me to feel it with my fingers.

For good measure though i would like to change the bearings. Changing the rod bearings is no big deal but is there any way to change the top bearing of the crankshaft without having to do any thing besides what ive already done?

If not what is the "proper" way that you all would recomend?

Thanks a lot...

yes thats what i said in my first post. However, it really isn't that bad in that i can' even feel it with my fingers. I just want to know if i can change the top main bearings without having to do anything other than drop the oil pan. If not then what do i need to do...

I've done it without removing a crank but its tough. You will have to let the crank drop a little and then push them out without touching the crank.

how can i let the crank drop exactly? I mean its attached to the flywheel and the front case.

yes it can be done...just use a scraper type tool...make sure it is thin...and push the bearing out opposite of the bearing stop side...it should rotate over and come out...

Remove all of the main caps, and the crank will drop a small amount, then push the upper shell out and replace with new.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back