Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Bolt-on Tech
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Bolt-on Tech: 4G63 intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2006, 04:02 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 372
Photos: 16
Classifieds Rating: 8
2G-specific

Gut Out Muffler?

I have the Greddy Evo II exhaust w/ a test pipe and the other day when i looked in my muffler i seen these little wire strings coming up so i started pulling them out. I guess its some kinda sound deadener. Im trying to make my exhaust flow a little better so im wondering if anyone ever hollowed out a muffler? I dont have a cat so im guessing this will improve exhaust flow a little bit more. Is this possible?

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,026
Classifieds Rating: 4
Reputation: napkinthief is pretty helpful and trustworthynapkinthief is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to napkinthief
You would be removing the muffler basically because a hollowed out muffler is just a big straight pipe. THe sound would increase dramatically, and would echo off the muffler walls so I dont know if thats what you are aiming for.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:16 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 372
Photos: 16
Classifieds Rating: 8
im aiming to get a little more flow, and i love the way the srt-4 sounds
View photos of this member's car 

Old 02-20-2006, 04:35 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 975
Photos: 5
Classifieds Rating: 0
Reputation: underradar92 is pretty helpful and trustworthyunderradar92 is pretty helpful and trustworthy
If you are talking about removing the packing, don't do it. It will get louder but flow will actually decrease, because the airflow will be going in & out of all those little holes, creating turbulance and killing velocity. Maybe just run a straight pipe, hard to outflow that.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:59 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 14.815 @ 92.230
Tech Posts: 623
Photos: 1
Reputation: ericbev is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toericbev is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toericbev is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toericbev is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toericbev is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to ericbev
If you are looking for more exhaust flow, pick yourself up a downpipe/midpipe setup to compliment your catback and testpipe. If you wanted to gut out a muffler, why didnt you buy a cheap-o ebay unit and hack it to bits? The EVO exhaust sounds nice and I would hate to compromise its sound for such limited gains.

Old 02-20-2006, 05:13 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 1,026
Classifieds Rating: 4
Reputation: napkinthief is pretty helpful and trustworthynapkinthief is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to napkinthief
SRT4 utilizes resonators and no mufflers to achieve its sound. Also, the exhaust is about a foot and half shorter since their engine is mounted intake side towards the front. I am going to try to make my own exhaust this summer and try to get as close to the SRT4 exhaust as possible and I will write a guide about it.

My plans so far are 3" downpipe, 3" flex, 3" cat, then split to 2 1.75" runners down both sides of the vehicle, and put a resonator or 2 on each side. Of course, this probably wont clear the ground, or have some other kind of problems, but its just in testing right now.

Old 02-20-2006, 08:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 70
Send a message via Yahoo to trebornash
If you like the sound of the SRT4,just pull the entire exhaust off one and weld it up to your car.I utilized a used exhaust system off a F350 for the mandrel 3.5" bends for my down pipe and rear underaxle bend.Don't be guttin no mufflers!
Visit trebornash's homepage!