1. EXPECT DELAYS! We'll be performing some routine system updates this week. Plan for some intermittent site outages all week. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Gut Out Muffler?

Posted by marcman804, Feb 20, 2006
Bolt-on Tech - 4G63 intake, exhaust, intake manifold, ignition, fuel system, cooling, etc.

1. marcman804

marcman804 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Cumberland, Virginia
    I have the Greddy Evo II exhaust w/ a test pipe and the other day when i looked in my muffler i seen these little wire strings coming up so i started pulling them out. I guess its some kinda sound deadener. Im trying to make my exhaust flow a little better so im wondering if anyone ever hollowed out a muffler? I dont have a cat so im guessing this will improve exhaust flow a little bit more. Is this possible?:confused:
  2. napkinthief

napkinthief Proven Member

Cliffside park, New_Jersey
    You would be removing the muffler basically because a hollowed out muffler is just a big straight pipe. THe sound would increase dramatically, and would echo off the muffler walls so I dont know if thats what you are aiming for.
  3. marcman804

marcman804 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Cumberland, Virginia
    im aiming to get a little more flow, and i love the way the srt-4 sounds
  4. underradar92

underradar92 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    If you are talking about removing the packing, don't do it. It will get louder but flow will actually decrease, because the airflow will be going in & out of all those little holes, creating turbulance and killing velocity. Maybe just run a straight pipe, hard to outflow that.
  5. ericbev

ericbev Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Coal City, Illinois
    If you are looking for more exhaust flow, pick yourself up a downpipe/midpipe setup to compliment your catback and testpipe. If you wanted to gut out a muffler, why didnt you buy a cheap-o eBay unit and hack it to bits? The EVO exhaust sounds nice and I would hate to compromise its sound for such limited gains.
  6. napkinthief

napkinthief Proven Member

Cliffside park, New_Jersey
    SRT4 utilizes resonators and no mufflers to achieve its sound. Also, the exhaust is about a foot and half shorter since their engine is mounted intake side towards the front. I am going to try to make my own exhaust this summer and try to get as close to the SRT4 exhaust as possible and I will write a guide about it.

My plans so far are 3" downpipe, 3" flex, 3" cat, then split to 2 1.75" runners down both sides of the vehicle, and put a resonator or 2 on each side. Of course, this probably wont clear the ground, or have some other kind of problems, but its just in testing right now.
  7. trebornash

trebornash Proven Member

Okc, Oklahoma
    If you like the sound of the SRT4,just pull the entire exhaust off one and weld it up to your car.I utilized a used exhaust system off a F350 for the mandrel 3.5" bends for my down pipe and rear underaxle bend.Don't be guttin no mufflers!:cool: