The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Please help with Cyclone

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbolaserAWDrs

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 18, 2002
harrisburg, Pennsylvania
I know that the cyclone is supposedly from japan and that its pretty good...Recently searching DSMtrader, i found a few cyclone "dual runner" intake manifold's for pretty cheap..i was wondering if its worth the 100 bucks for it and how much difference i would notice? could soemone explain what "dual runners" are too? thanks in advance.

dont listen to these guys. if you do any research at all you will find out that the cyclone intake flows more than the us maybe not much more but does flow more and the for the runners the us intake has 4 runners one for each cylinder the cyclone intake has 8 smaller runners if you take the total volume of the runners the cyclone does end up being bigger and they have flaps in four of them that open up when boost is reached and stay shot when you do not reach boost for more bottom end the cyclone head is necessary too for it has 8 intake ports matched to the intake. the us motor 1g makes 195hp 2g 210 and the cyclone makes 220 thanks to the intake and has more bottom end power and pulls harder

It's not worth the hastle. Just get yours extrude honed. I bought one and sold it because it was going to be a horror show to get to install and I'd loose top end power.

Wassup guys,i was at the hangout the other night with some of my buddys,and this guy comes with this 2G and comes up to my friend jason, he has a 97 GSX,w/e they start talking, the other guy wants to race him obviously....we were all close to his car with a lil group,then the guy goes and pops the hood,were thinkin this guy must have something to just pop the hood without a request, like if he wanted to impress the ppl there,he opens it,he has the "cyclone engine",then some guys go "oh shyt cyclone" and im looking at it and im like what it looks the same as the 4G63 in my car,i was looking at the engine while the others were sweating it ,and i could notice the throttle body elboy is way smaller in diamter than mines and a couple of other things that seemed to be smaller and different....i wasent impressed as much ...so whatever they race off the hole,my friend jason takes cyclone boy by like half a car,they race again this time rolling and cyclone boy jumps in front but jason cought up to him and they stayed pretty much the same... and im like damn wassup with those motors what do they have??,they look less powerful and still i was surprised how it performed,where do they come from??,ive heard of them b4 but didnt really pay much attention to them....give me so 411 on these motors guys ,thanks... :)

Originally posted by WhiteCharisma
^^^^ thats not a reason... what are the specs??

I'm guessing it's kinda like ricers and Type R. If anything on the car has anythign at all to do with a Type R, the car is automatically fast.

Its a 6bolt engine that is a near bolt in for the 2g eclipse. And the only difference is (for the most part) the intake manifold. Some of them came with a JDM switchable transmission while others came with a 16G turbo. You had to be lucky to get one with a 16G. Oh and the valve cover is different.

I don't know why everybody blew their load over it. Most switch the intake manifolds anyways to the US spec manifold. You still get stuck with a 1g manifold, but I bet the guy put the 2g manifold on. You would be smart to at least.

the only thing i find amazing about them is that they saved my life...its a great, cheap way to get ur car back on the road if something major happens to your motor and you dont have the time to rebuild. i got my motor with the awd tranny for 1500

You got ripped... you can find whole JDM front clips for 1200 in great shape... I've seen as low as 1000 for "perfect" longblocks and trans.

Originally posted by DSMRevolution

I don't know why everybody blew their load over it. Most switch the intake manifolds anyways to the US spec manifold. You still get stuck with a 1g manifold, but I bet the guy put the 2g manifold on. You would be smart to at least.

You put a 2G intake manifold on a 1G head and you're going to get a huge vacuum leak there.

1000 bucks for motor and tranny? Where are these magical places? Do they provide compression numbers?

It's a dual-runner intake manifold. At low speeds/high vacuum, it closes half the runners to increase intake velocity, giving you a bit more torque at lower revs. As the vacuum in the plenum reduces, the second half of the runners open and allows much more flow.

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/4g63motorsearch.htm

"There is no 'Cyclone Motor' The long blocks from Japan are the same year for year as the US motors. They will usually have the Cyclone intake manifolds on them. This is just a dual runner (similar to Toyota's TVIS system) intake manifold that gave a little better bottom end power IF you have all the electronics to properly actuate the butterfly valves. Also there are clearance issues between the Cyclone manifold and the larger US A/C compressor. Yes you can use it, but not really worth the hassle. Some manifolds will say "Cyclone" on them but not have the dual runner butterfly system."

Lordpaxin is running a Cyclone setup, apparently with some success.

^^^ awsome link,thanks dude....thats pretty sweet,they come with 510cc injectors and big16 turbos < those are hard to find though according to the page, 91-93 model only.....how many cc injectors does the stock 2G motor come with??

1500$ for a jdm? thats pretty harsh. We have 4 shops and about 6 dealers here that sell them for 1100$ with trannies. Its pretty funny, Canadians are always getting screwed by the Americans but aperantly not in that department :laugh: :D

oh jeez, a whole 200 or so dollars more....whatever shall i do, its not like i had a month to frig around....i needed the car on the road ASAP cause i do commute to college.

the extra low end torqe is impressive.

I paid 1500$ for a JDM front clip
engine.tranny.ECU, the whole front of the car.

Originally posted by cait sith
You put a 2G intake manifold on a 1G head and you're going to get a huge vacuum leak there.

1000 bucks for motor and tranny? Where are these magical places? Do they provide compression numbers?

Oops sorry. I ment 2g exhaust manifold. Most do switch the intake manifolds but stay with the same generation manifold. Most switch the exhaust manifold I meant. My bad!

i know something about the dual intake runners and butterfly valves to actuat them, my 93 mazda mx-3. i swapped a 95 probe gt motor in it and it has the same idea with the dual runners and butterfly valves, mazda used that setup to take the horse power curve away, low end torque and high end volume, no vurve means you find yourself doing 90 and you didnt even realize it, but with the close ratio 5spd and the 4.388 final i have to shift pretty quick, but anyway, the cyclone intake was a great idea, and is impressive with the low end it provides, but the hassle of it makes it hard to rationalize doing it, gives the engine bay that JDM look though, cyclone intake manifold and mitsubishi valve cover :D

higher low end torque
better fuel economy

basically it gives you more usable power in all gears at lower rpm

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back