Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource on the web

Login

Go Back   DSMtuners > DSM Forums > DSM Tech > Drivetrain Tech > Automatic Tranny
Welcome to DSMtuners - the largest Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, 4G63t and 420A DSM performance resource
You are browsing the site as a GUEST. Please login (or register) and gain the ability to post on our site and interact with other DSMers. You also get to browse the site with fewer advertisements. It is FREE to join!

Automatic Tranny: 4G63 automatic tranny discussions. Sponsored by Import Performance Transmissions

LinkBack   Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 10:31 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #1 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 833
Photos: 14
Classifieds Rating: 9
Send a message via AIM to talontsiboy24
2G-specific

Should i keep my overdrive switch on or off?

i have a 97 gsx and was wondering when driving at speeds 0-60 should i keep the od switch on or off? i do alot of city driving like stop and go but i like to speed still lol i heard to always keep it on?

View photos of this member's car 

mark post as helpful recommend reputation points    Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 03:36 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #2 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 650
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 32
I would keep it on. I always kept my O/D on, you can feel the difference in it.

Last edited by Defiant; 08-02-2009 at 07:32 AM.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:50 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #3 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 145
Classifieds Rating: 0
well as per mitsubishi it states that the end clutches are weak in these cars and states that you shouldnt drive your auto tranny with over drive on under 60kph or so. iF you have upgraded end clutches i would leave it on all the time. the only advantage of having it off is that the rpms slightly increase which allows the turbo to spool faster aswell gets you closer to the torque converters stall speed.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:14 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #4 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 558
Photos: 7
My last stock tranny lasted 130k miles with the overdive on. If you're at the track or racing thats a different story.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:05 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #5 (permalink)
Proven Member

is it true u can make your trans last longer if your at a stop for a long time and put the car in neutral?

Old 07-31-2009, 11:12 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #6 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 141
Photos: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to donswan
My tranny is at 179K and I always keep it on. haven't even had to rebuild it yet but I know it's coming soon now that I said it lasted this long.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #7 (permalink)
Proven Member

Car: 04 SRT-4
Tech Posts: 2,614
Photos: 4
Classifieds Rating: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to toofast82
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiboy24 View Post
is it true u can make your trans last longer if your at a stop for a long time and put the car in neutral?
In drive the car is under load, so fluids temps may rise some, which won't help anything. If you're going to be sitting for any longer than a routine stoplight, just put it in neutral to take the load off.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:42 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #8 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast82 View Post
In drive the car is under load, so fluids temps may rise some, which won't help anything. If you're going to be sitting for any longer than a routine stoplight, just put it in neutral to take the load off.
yea thats what i thought. some lights take 2 damn long so i usually throw it in neutral.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:43 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #9 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 558
You can do it, but that's what a converter helps you with. All trannys are made with stopping in mind....

Old 08-01-2009, 12:08 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #10 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 744
Photos: 8
Classifieds Rating: 2
Reputation: HighPSI TSi Guy is pretty helpful and trustworthyHighPSI TSi Guy is pretty helpful and trustworthy
Send a message via AIM to HighPSI TSi Guy Send a message via Yahoo to HighPSI TSi Guy
you should never use OD on any trans unless you're at speeds that would really benefit from it. most cars have weak end clutches for some reason, I don't know why, but it's the way engineers design shit. Some cars will take it better than others. But seriously, in a DSM making power, I don't know why you want to use 4th any more than you have to.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:53 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #11 (permalink)
Proven Member

so if im not gonna go past 60 i should just keep it off?

Old 02-17-2011, 09:05 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #12 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 148
Photos: 1
Classifieds Rating: 1
My 2g went to 238k fine and then motor mount broke and cracked the bell housing

Old 02-17-2011, 09:24 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #13 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 2,434
Photos: 18
Reputation: GRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
If you're going to be doing stop and go in the city under 55-60mph leave it off as it won't be hunting for the right gear and shifting back and forth as much as if you leave it on. If you're cruising or doing highway driving, then leave it on as it will help bring the rpm's down and help save gas.

As far as putting it up into neutral if sitting for a while, I do that all the time.
The REAL benifit of this is not to make the tranny last longer necessarily, but it CAN extend the tranny's life by extending the tranny FLUID life. When you are sitting with an auto car in gear and holding the brake pedal you are actually causing fluid shearing in the transmission fluid and this over time will break down the fluid and can cause the tranny to fail prematurely.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:21 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #14 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAVEDIGGER View Post
If you're going to be doing stop and go in the city under 55-60mph leave it off as it won't be hunting for the right gear and shifting back and forth as much as if you leave it on. If you're cruising or doing highway driving, then leave it on as it will help bring the rpm's down and help save gas.

As far as putting it up into neutral if sitting for a while, I do that all the time.
The REAL benifit of this is not to make the tranny last longer necessarily, but it CAN extend the tranny's life by extending the tranny FLUID life. When you are sitting with an auto car in gear and holding the brake pedal you are actually causing fluid shearing in the transmission fluid and this over time will break down the fluid and can cause the tranny to fail prematurely.
I heard if u keep switching it on and off its just gonna endup not working thats why people just leave it on? The manual says to keep it on all the time also.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:47 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #15 (permalink)
Proven Member

Reputation: GRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening toGRAVEDIGGER is an experienced, knowledgeable member worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiboy24 View Post
I heard if u keep switching it on and off its just gonna endup not working thats why people just leave it on? The manual says to keep it on all the time also.
You're listening to the wrong people. I would like to see where the manual says to keep it on all the time.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #16 (permalink)
Proven Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAVEDIGGER View Post
You're listening to the wrong people. I would like to see where the manual says to keep it on all the time.
Well i didnt see it in the manual with my own eyes since i dont have mine just heard that but i do think pressing it off and on would not be a good thing to do cause speeds change around here from 30-55 so i just leave it on.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:04 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #17 (permalink)
Proven Member

Timeslip: 13.916 @ 98.140
Tech Posts: 844
Photos: 2
Send a message via AIM to Doubleot Send a message via MSN to Doubleot
I've always left it on. Haven't had a problem yet.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:43 PM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #18 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 733
Photos: 15
Classifieds Rating: 14
Mine is almost always on & no problems here.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:09 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #19 (permalink)
Proven Member

Tech Posts: 485
Classifieds Rating: 7
What we need here is an answer from somebody that actually rebuilds transmissions for a living . I've asked more than one transmission technicians and they all recommend that you should keep the over drive on all the time unless your going uphill.

By the way I keep mine on all of the time and I haven't really had any problems either.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:33 AM Show Printable Version Show Printable Version   Email this Post to a Friend Email this Post      #20 (permalink)
Proven Member

If you guys are that scared/confused about when/why to click the o/d switch on or off, then by all means, don't use it.

Did you ever know you can get engine braking with the o/d off? This can be handy for in town driving and can save your brakes by not using as much of them to stop. It can also help your transmission as I said before, by not having it hunting/shifting as much around town.

But whatever you choose to do... Good luck to all and their automatics.