The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

DSM Enthusiast Weight Loss Program

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was scrolling through threads on dsm weight loss and figured hey why not have a tech article helping explain some of it. This article is not meant to be written in stone, there is much more you can do to lighten your dsm for drag racing, but I hope this can help get you started. These are just a few of the things I removed from my personal 1990 Eagle Talon TSI AWD. Some parts and weights may not be exact for your personal vehicle. All weighing was done either on a regular bathroom scale (not perfectly accurate but it's very close) or from weights listed here Some of their weights were not exact by my standards so I replaced them with my own weight measurements. http://web.archive.org/web/20041106...tonline.com/pso/pages/techtips/dsmweights.asp

EASY REMOVAL ITEMS:

Front and rear bumpers:
They can be removed remarkably easily, remove front and rear bumper covers and then the 4 nuts holding the bumpers in place and voila you've removed 70 lbs.

Air conditioning unit: a common unit to remove weighs about 35 lbs.

Rear seats: again a few simple bolts to remove the rear seat pieces, 30 lbs.

Replace front seat/seats: of course you're going to want a lightweight racing seat to replace your driver seat but weights are 40 lbs passenger and 50 lbs driver, get an 18 lb. racing seat and you've saved 72 lbs.

Seat belts and assemblies front and rear: 50 lbs.

Spare tire/ jack/ tools: 37 lbs.

Spare tire cover/ privacy cover/ etc...: 20 lbs.

Floor mats: 6 lbs.

Replace battery with lightweight Oddyssey style: 40 lbs stock - 14 lbs for oddyssey = 26 lbs saved.

Charcoal canister under hood: 3 lbs.

GETTING A LITTLE MORE SERIOUS?

Remove air conditioning and heater assembly under the dash: Follow this fellow dsmer's tech article http://dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188723 to remove the dash, then remove those pesky good for nothing boxes (pictures at bottom of thread) weight savings of 25 lbs.

Carpeting from the front of car: 15 lbs.

Sound deading from the front of car (from rear of drivers seat forward) 10 lbs. you can also remove the rear sound deading all together should weigh about 25 lbs.

Power steering system: takes a little work to get this out, try to get some of the fluid out of the system first, remove the resevoir and bolts holding the pump, brackets for the lines, etc...: 10 lbs. (also helps with steering when you're going down the 1/4 mile.

Swith to non cruise control line: 1ga 6 lbs.

Speakers and sound stereo system: 15 lbs.

Head light units (power units off of 1ga), this includes the motors, brackets, lights, etc... 17 lbs.

Miscellaneous material including, removing the metal dash pieces, glove compartment, metal brackets, bolts, all plastic interior pieces, windshield wiper motors and parts, windshiled wiper fluid resevoirs, etc... 50 + lbs.

balance shaft removal: 6 lbs. also free's up hp and gives better oil pressure.

There is alot more you can do to remove weight, carbon fiber hood, lexan glass all around, lightweight radiator, lightweight 1 gal. fuel cell system, cutting up the floor and replacing it with lightweight metal http://94tsiawd.com/Goodwill8.html (project goodwill floor photos), cut up the rear bumper cover for better airflow (also seen on project goodwill), aluminum door panels,lightweight flywheel, carbon driveshaft, lightweight rims, etc...
Most of this stuff will cost you money or include the help of a hacksaw. For now you've saved yourself 512 lbs. give or take so you ought to be happy. Good luck

Heres some photos of the AC crap under the dash, rear bumper, front headlight brackets and lights, front and rear seats, and some other miscellaneous garbage.

Attachments

• weight loss 001.jpg
    weight loss 001.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 5,838
  • weight loss 002.jpg
    weight loss 002.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 5,791
  • weight loss 003.jpg
    weight loss 003.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 5,745
  • weight loss 004.jpg
    weight loss 004.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 5,717
  • weight loss 005.jpg
    weight loss 005.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 5,790
Just some more stuff you can remove pretty simply.
The U frame in the back of the 1G, drill through the spot welds and remove that sucka weighs a couple pounds, you can do the same with all the little metal brackets on the rear of the car that you don't need.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Here's a picture of half of it cut out, I haven't managed to finish with the towers on the side yet. Ignore the holes in the floor, the previous owner did that to get to the rear end bolts, for reference please never do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back