The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Using a T to install an oil pressure gauge

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There are several different threads and a lot of confusion about this so I'm going to attempt to clear it up here. This method installs a "T" fitting before the factory oil pressure sensor. I know this works for a 1g and I believe it is the same for a 2g.

First of all, the parts that you will need are:
1/8 BSPT male to 1/8 NPT female adapter (I used Autometer part# 2269)
1/8 NPT male straight coupler (I used Earl's part# 991101ERL)
1/8 NPT female T (I used Earl's part #991701ERL)
6' of 1/8" copper tubing (I used Autometer part# 3224)
Thread sealer (I used Permatex Blue)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I used aluminum performance fittings from Summit Racing. High quality fittings are recommended but if you are on a tight budget, simple brass fittings will suffice.

First of all you will need to drain your oil, therefore it is best to combine this mod with an oil change. Once the oil is drained, remove the factory oil pressure sensor and install the 1/8 BSPT to 1/8 NPT adapter in its place. Then attach the T with the T'd off side facing the rear of the engine. Insert the copper tube connector into the T'd off part of the T so the tubing will point towards the firewall. Reinstall the factory oil pressure sensor at the bottom of the T. Be sure to coat the threads in sealer and allow time for the sealer to dry to prevent leaking.

All thats left is to run the tubbing to your oil pressure gauge and pour in some oil. I'm not going to cover running the tubing as it will vary depending on your gauges location. The main things that I wanted to clear up were the fittings needed and a good place to tap into. I hope this helps some of you fellow dsmers out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The picture I originally posted was of a 6 bolt non-turbo oil filter housing. Here is the same setup installed on a 6 bolt turbo oil filter housing. The turbo OFH is a different design and it works better with this setup in my opinion.

Also this time I used Permatex #14 thread sealant w/teflon instead of the Permatex blue thread locker that I used before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back