The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G How to Install a Apexi SAFC on a 2G Turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INTRODUCTION
I notice there are not that many install guides for installing the Apexi Super AFC, usually its because the links are so old you can't find them. So I decided to write one up with pictures and good diagrams. I'm doing this write up for the 2G turbo's, I am not sure if the 1G or any others car is the same. I do know for sure that that the 2GNT install is totally different as the ECU is in the engine bay and it uses a MAP sensor. I also did this with the first SAFC, for the AFC, SAFCII, or SAFC NEO I am not sure if it is exactly the same. Another note is that this install guide will cover basic installation/wiring and setup. For tuning info you'd best look at the many other guides on tuners.

INSTALL TIME
This took me about 1 hour and 20 minutes (I checked the pictures timestamps, sure seemed longer than that). So plan to at least be working on it for an hour at the least and like 2 hours if your having trouble. Take breaks too my knees and back were killing me from all that surgery ;).
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED FOR THE INSTALL:
Cutters
Electrical Tape
Soldering Iron (helps if you have a cordless one)
Solder
Sharp Knife
Flashlight (dark in there)

This is if you are going to solder the wires in which is the best way, alternatives are wire taps (but they look ugly).

BULLET CONNECTORS
Another thing you might want to get if your SAFC didn't come with them are bullet connectors. If you get the SAFC brand new unlike mine it will have bullet connectors. These connector are there so if you want to quickly uninstall the SAFC or more like disable it. You can unplug it and make it stock quickly.

The first step is to get your work area ready. You will need to take the console side panels off on the drivers side. This will require unscrewing and pulling the panel off. You'll probably want to get your flashlight setup if there is not much light out. You also might want to get some kind of pad for your knees because you'll be on them for a while. You will want to start routing the harness where you want to install your SAFC, mine was installed under the radio. After you take the panel off it should look like this:

Here is where the ECU is (its right behind that big bracket for the radio):

Now that we know where the surgery will begin here is a diagram that I made with the help of turbosax2 colored wiring ECU diagram from this post (I highly suggest you print this diagram out, in color also): http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-tuning-ecu/281763-2g-turbo-ecu-pinout-w-wire-colors.html

The diagram has has a list of what each pin/wire does, wire colors, and how thick the wire is. To the left is a map of each pin numbers. There are 4 colors for each of the ECU connectors. The left diagram is exactly how the ECU will appear when you are working it, please note that the legend is backwards, just match the colors up and you will not have a problem. The wires you will be tapping to the ECU are also highlighted in the colors that are on the SAFC. You will notice 2 of the wires have 2 colors on them and there are notes on them. This means there will be two wires either tapped or intercepted. There are also notes under the pin map.

The wires we will be working with on the SAFC are:
RED = SAFC POWER
BLACK = GROUND
BROWN = GROUND
GREEN = TACHOMETER
GREY = TPS
PINK = MAS
ORANGE = MAS

We will not be using:
BLUE, WHITE, and YELLOW wires. Cut the ends off of them if they are exposed and tape them or find someway to keep them out of the way.

I started with the all the wires on the red connector, the lowest connector. It helps to unplug all the connectors you will be working with. I will say this once. You want to check and DOUBLE CHECK that you have the correct wire. Do this by finding the wire on the map and legend and confirming the wire color. Then double check by comparing what the pins/wires around the wire you are working with. So the first wire I am working with is the power wire. You will want to the get the RED SAFC wire out and look on the diagram. The power wire is on pin #25. Look for a red wire that is in the upper right corner of the connector. There should be a black wire on top of it and another one north west of it. Then there is a red wire to the left of it. If you confirm that, thats the one. Whew now I won't go over that again, just remember to double check it.

There's the wire. Now cut into the jacket with your knife. Should look like the wire in the picture.

If your soldering the wire in this is the method I used. I wet the part I cut with the soldering iron. Then I strip a little off of the SAFC wire just a little and wet it with solder. Then I put the wire in place and melt the two together. I do it this way so if I want to uninstall it later it will be easy to pull off. Anything else I will actually tie the wire around the wire then solder it but like I said I want it to be easy to uninstall. With that being explained solder the RED SAFC wire to this wire. Should look like the picture when your done.

Be sure to give it a little tug when it cools down to make sure it is on there good. If you pull it and it comes right off chances are it will come off due to vibration or whatever. Now bend the wire as far as you can to get it parallel with the wire and wrap the exposed wire with electrical tape to prevent shorts. Should look like this:

Now solder in the ground wire. Notice I already did it in the previous picture. The ground wire is tricky you need to solder TWO wire to it. The BROWN and BLACK wires from the SAFC. The BROWN wire needs to be closer to the ECU. Then the BLACK wire needs to be soldered further down the wire. I soldered it about 1cm away from the BROWN wire. Solder them and wrap them up. Should look like this picture:

Now we're done with the RED connector. You can go ahead and plug it back in and pull get the YELLOW connector ready. Its that small one in the lower picture.

Find the WHITE wire in the YELLOW connector and solder the GREEN SAFC wire to it. Then tape it up.

Now plug the YELLOW connector back in and get the BLUE connector. We're almost finished. Find the BROWN wire with a RED stripe on it and solder the GREY SAFC wire to it and tape it up.

Here's the last tricky part. Get your cutters and find and cut the BLUE wire (it looks green in that picture) with a YELLOW stripe on it. Notice its already cut in the picture.

Now solder the PINK SAFC wire to the BLUE/yellow wire going to the ECU. Then solder the ORANGE SAFC wire to the wire other wire that goes to the MAS. Tape it up and your DONE! Go ahead and plug in the connector and double check that the others are plugged in. You can go ahead and put the side panel on if you want to. Also note that I am NOT using the bullet connectors I just soldered them in. You would solder a FEMALE connector onto the wire going to the ECU and a MALE bullet connector onto the wire going to the MAS and connect them. Then if you want to disable the SAFC just unplug the PINK and ORANGE wire and connect the BLUE/yellow wire together if you wanted to use the bullet connectors. If you soldered it too bad you need to unsolder and solder it back together.

This picture shows the leftover wires you will have. These wires are not used because they are used for other cars that have different sensors or more than one airflow sensor. I know for a fact that the yellow and white wire are used on the 2GNT. The blue wire can be used to view your O2 sensor reading but I hear that it is not good to do it.

Now go ahead and mount your SAFC where you want it to be. Like I said I mounted mine under the radio and I put a fuzzy dice next to it to fill in the gap. Then make sure you connected the harness to the SAFC like in the picture.

This is what the wiring looks like after installation, there is A LOT of extra wire so tuck it in there somewhere it will not create any problems.

BASIC SETUP FOR 2G TURBO
Now go ahead and put the key in the ignition and turn it to ON. DO NOT start the car just put it to on. If you did everything right you will see the SAFC start up. If not check your wiring or if you put the connectors back in. Now hit the PREVIOUS button until you get to this screen and highlight ECT and hit next:

You should see a screen like this:

Go to SENSOR TYPE

highlight KARMAN

Then go to CAR SELECT

Then set CYL to 4 and set the THR pointing NORTHEAST

Also set your HI and LOW maps to 0% if you don't want the SAFC to do anything if you haven't added injectors yet. (Ghey won't let me put anymore pictures in)

You might want to also go to the monitors and see if anything is out of the ordinary. Step on the throttle and you should see the THR % move.

Fire the car up and hopefully it runs, you should check if your RPMs are right. Congratulations your SAFC is now installed!

Basic setup tip here: If you want to set your idle or low RPM to a particular injector find out how much percent larger your injector is compared to the stock 450cc injector.

Example: If installing 550cc injectors. 550/450 = 1.22 -1 = .22 = 22%
550cc injectors are 22% larger than the stock 450cc injectors, so you will need to subtract 22% fuel to make it idle l
So in the low setting you would put -22% across all RPM ranges.

Attachments

• 4G63-SAFCinstallECUdiagram.jpg
    4G63-SAFCinstallECUdiagram.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 7,106
Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back