The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

My Vinyl Paint!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InfiniteGSX

20+ Year Contributor
Dec 10, 2002
Tijeras, New_Mexico
Well I am redoing my interior... I used glossy black and it didn't match. Now I am trying faded black, and it seems to match my interior quite well! This time I scuffed the vinyl with a 340grit sand pad.... So far it looks awsome! And it matches my dash!

Take some pics in route to the finish. Sounds like it could look awsome. :rocks:

LOL yeah! The area's that I could easily get with the sand pad... worked out great... but in corners that I couldn't sand it down... no such luck...

So I guess it takes about 2 cans total to do it right per door panel! LOL... You didn't do as much as I did... you detailed more, I just did the whole panel!

Plus before I used glossy black, and it didn't match up with the dash... So now I'm using flat black and it looks perfect!

I just did this same thing to my door panels and I only used 1 can per door. I have had it on for 2 months now with no problems at all. It is really all about the prep when you are doing things like this...

Yeah it is! Area's that I really couldn't get to with the scrub pad... are going to chip! or easily scratch off! Damn this upsets me... I wish I could spend more money on this little project!

Not like it trully matters, just keep touching it up I guess until I get my new door panels!

Yeah, it is! Area's I couldn't get to with the sand pad are going to easily scratch... but the outside area where it would most likely get scratched should be fine... atleast until I get my new door panels!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Still waiting for it to quit raining for me to go take pics, I'm sorry man! I'll take differen't color pics, cause my pass side is still glossy black

Fine fine fine! Here you go! Driverside is the right color, Passenger side is the wrong color:

Dash is dirty obviously! Car's been sitting while it waits for its new head.

I dont know if the pictures show much of a difference. But there is.. to the naked eye, the driverside looks just like the dash.

Looks good. The pics show a definite difference between the two panels. Can you give details? What vinyl paint? Which color ended up matching the dash? What prep did you do? Thanks.

Update a week later! Ok 5 days later... Doors are still doing good. I haven't had to touch them up. I'm still sanding other interior parts and painting them with the flat black... About to do the rear peices... but one of my grills is missing... so I dunno if I wanna do that just yet... until I get a grill...Then I gotta get some new trunk interior and sand the hell outa that crap... too many curves... might just use a sandblaster to sand it properly.

LOL I also used this paint on my RAZR... I changed the inside color to black... sanded the metal peices down and painted... the area's that didn't get sanded chipped! So I guess I gotta sandblast them.

And someone wanted a photo of my Otto G2 Gauges... The G2 Gauges have the white inner section and the G3 have the blue.

Yes D, its within size limit! :D

I have that same CD player, and Im listening to that same band right now. Interesteing how that works since I havent listened to them in... a very long time.

Nice work on the interior man, very smooth.

I have that same CD player, and Im listening to that same band right now. Interesteing how that works since I havent listened to them in... a very long time.

Nice work on the interior man, very smooth.

I'm trying! Soo Soo hard! My black car... I replaced all the trunk peices with new peices from Mitsubishi just to get things looking right. I'm a perfectionist... even tho it doesn't look like it right now cause the car is stripped... My family thinks I just love to screw up cars... But if you guys look at how the car looked... and how it looks now... you'll understand. This car is kicking my ass to get it looking right. But so far, most of the carpet is clean... LOL I can't finish it tho cause the carpet killed my shop vac! Thats how bad it was. So right now I'm cleaning up some wires up...

When I got the car, the stereo harness was hacked to shit... so I had a parts car and cut the harness out and rewired things up and rewrapped it all...

I am trying to get a set of carbon fiber door panels... but I'm having trouble finding the part that the guy wants to trade for them.

The Alpine, I bought it for 200 bucks. Not bad of a stereo... not my choice tho... Tuning the Audio is a massive bi***! I can't get the bass permenatly out of the components without taking the bass away from the sub! It sucks! Its like you have to be a rocket scientist to tune the audio on an Alpine. I miss my Panasonic 8400's audio tuning... just a nice 7band eq, lpf and hpf... And audio sounded awsome on that!

Thanks for the complements, I'll keep updated photos of my restoration process on here for you guys to see.

Yea.. looks good so far. As i mentioned in another thread I'm going through these issues... paint, being a perfectionist, and my family thinking I'm crazy. Funny, it's like I wrote all of your above posts myself. LOL Even the damn Alpine is same as mine!! But, I do like Alpine's and know that the reason it's impossible to tune is because you got it for $200. Back in the day I had a VERY VERY nice Alpine and that thing you could fine tune so well... but on the cheaper models, you're lucky if you get subwoofer controls.

No no, its not a cheap model... I just got it from a friend, he needed to pay rent and needed 200 bucks... So I told him I wanted the Alpine... 200 bucks! There it is!

are you using the duplicolor? I tried the flat black duplicolor vinyl/fabric spray out on a few trunk panels and it matches my black door panels PERFECTLY. I didn't even sand I just cleaned them and they look stock. I've gotta get a few more cans (maybe tomorrow) and start doing some interior pieces because it just looks so much better in black.

Seriously... save yourself the heartache and sand the peices down... not like heavily... go out and buy a few of those sand pads... nothing too rough, just enough to roughen up the surface... Its proven to be very, very nice!

and as for the paint... I actually don't remember... The can is outside and everyone is asleep so I'll let you know tomorrow.

I agree on the color tho... Black just looks soo much sexier... I am actually going to just leave the vinyl black... and the fabric area's since I own a GS model... I'm going to redo in Blue Microfiber/Micro swede. . . So the seats are going to be redone also... The outsides will be done in black leather, and the inside with the same blue microfiber material. More like a Navy Blue...

Seriously... save yourself the heartache and sand the peices down... not like heavily... go out and buy a few of those sand pads... nothing too rough, just enough to roughen up the surface... Its proven to be very, very nice!

Ok noobish question, but what's the problem with not sanding it?

When you rough up the surface, you make sure to get all the Armor-all off and to give the paint something to adhere to. When I did mine I used brake parts cleaner and a light sanding (not enough to ruin the factory texture marks). Mine has held up wonderfully...just like OEM.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back