The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

running rich

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99 gs iowa

10+ Year Contributor
May 29, 2011
moravia, Iowa
it idle i am running rich as can be going from around 10.0-11.2 on my wideband, the same when im cruising regularly, but once i start to try to go into boost it starts to get lean and cuts out, the car was running pefect before and had a solid tune, any ideas what could be going on? Im running a portfuler so i should defintly not be running this rich at idle or without being in boost, :notgood:

Is it 10.0-11.2 after it warms up or when you crank it? The leaning out sound like your fcd is going bad or your fuel pump is starting to go.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you need a fcd or missing link with the Portfueler, doesn't it base the secondary injectors off of engine rpm? What do you mean your car was running perfect before, before what? Are you still running the stock fuel pump? How did you calibrate your control module, you should be able to set your idle fuel pressure, is this a pre owned unit?

Correction, I thought about it and realized you still need an fcd or missing link, my bad.

SMH, jesse.. your leaving out tons of info and back story.. meaning your question isnt very good. :p

Shake, You still need 1 or both as its runing off stock Map and ECU for normal operation..

Before What: Some one power washed the engine bay warm. Not sure who it was, we just know it happend....and shit stopped working

Wally 255, New Areomotive FPR, fP set at 48 Psi.

1 Jesse read this.. again and again. you should not be boosting.. your EIC is OFF.. therefore no fuel for boost. I think that will confuse the problem.. We unhooked the EIC becuase its not working (some one soaked it in water...). so this isnt a ML/FCD issue as he shouldnt be in boost. :p

His issue is AFRs are all over the place, Idle is lean after warm up. when it was here, it was 14.7, then leaned to 18's, is that still the case?
I think this may from some exhaust leaks.
If its rich everwhere, then that may give more credance to a stuck injector.

We have replaced the O2 sensor, and swaped a few differnt other sensors such as MAP, TPS and CAS, as well as tried with the ML out of the equation.

Removing the EIC, has told us The issue is somewhere in the Stock system.
We have also swapped ECUs (Same PN) no change.

im thinking something is up with the Injectors. its about the only thing left. When he is crusing (No boost, again remeber, EIC is OFF), he is seeing 10's, and FP hasnt changed.. i think this is an injector, either stock or on the PF rail, maybe is stuck open, conversely, may be not running right at idle, thus the lean idle (it would need to be a stock injector in this scanrio).

my suggestion:
Next we need to try taking the EIC rail out of the equation. this will either confirm or eliminate a stuck injector on thie EIC rail. If problem persists, swap in my known good stock injectors.

I should have left the ML removed, but i think since youve been trying to boost, you may have blown the filter out of it.. compounding the issue. remove it, and see if this makes ## idle lean again and crusing AFRS correct. if it does, then were back to Why is idle Lean.

Mayb rename the title: Runing rich while cruising, lean at idle.

Take out the spark plugs. If a injector is stuck open one plug should be darker then the rest. I'm with Glow, remove your missing link, sounds like somethings up with the stock fuel system.

Also is your pf control module in the engine compartment?

Yes it is, tucked behind the Stock ECU.

All the sparks checked out, I should have also mentioned that i tried a brand new set, to no avail. I think theres2 seperate issues.

1. when I had it , idle was lean (18+), driving condtions were normal Afr (14s), indicated Exhaust leak. Perhaps aused by the rapid cooling of a hot motor.

2 . Now, its rich all over. I think this is a ML issue.

Were going to remove the Ml, hopefully that gets us back to Only issue #1. If not then we will need to troble shoot the fuel system further.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back