The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Leak down test shows no bent valves, funny compression results... can't get to start

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSTurbo1

10+ Year Contributor
May 2, 2012
Pickens, SC, South_Carolina
So I thought I had bent valves from my car idling after a build then mechanical tensioner slipped and car stopped running. I figured I had bent valves. Took it to the head shop and he vacuum tested and said I have no bent valves. I leak down tested and had 20-25% leakage (variation due to an approximation of TDC on cylinders 2,3). I set one cylinder where I should have valves open and could really tell the difference between one that was sealed and that was not. Any ideas from the crowd? I have fuel pressure, going to get compression tester, getting brand new spark plugs.

Update: I did compression check and the numbers were like 1=90,2=50,3=30,4=90 does this seem like timing or slightly bent valves. Could each intake and exhaust being a half tooth cause this? I have had a couple of peole speculate this is the problem.

Last edited:
If your getting spark and fuel.. the the its your timing. Verified tour tined right?

If you have aftermarket gears , You should be able to put the car at TDC, and look at your Cams (pull VC) , both dowel Holes should be point straight up ( perpandicular to the head /Valve cover mating surface.). If they are not, your out of time. Did you Zero the aftermarket gears during install?

Im not sure if you have stock gears, if you do, then you can look at their timing marks instead of pulling the VC.

unfortunately, I just bought a rebuilt from a good source. I had a couple of stripped out thread so hopefully so the new head should be nice. I don't know say some prayers for me this has been so costly and time consuming. At least I got to hear it run before the tensioner came loose.

This is what happens when you "go cheap" buying a used head and expecting it to be perfect is Nieve man.. Sucks about your shop luck.. but pretty sure ive been hitting that point about getting more involved with their work. i had a simalr issue in the beggining of the year.. you have to stay on people and understand what they are doing.. i know its easy to "trust the pros" , but most "pros" could care less about some 4 cyl.. imo, Find and have them go thru the head with you...

Any idea why your tensioner slipped in the first place? did you mod the inner timing cover? Tq the bolt down to the correct Tq? was it tensioend correctly? IMO, those dont just fail, not to say that they cant.. just rather unlikely.. I just want to make sure it doesnt happen again, or your build will start to be an expensive lesson :)

I didn't have the pin in the slot and was not tq down to correct spec.... the one thing I forgot to do cost me a couple hundred.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back