The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

remove turbine housing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungy

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 2, 2006
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Crazy_Skier and i are rebuilding his 50 trim t3/t4 and we've run into a prob...No matter how hard we try we cannot get his turbine housing off. We've been hitting it with a rubber mallet and no luck, so we started in with the liquid wrench and the rubber mallet and still no luck. I'm gunna try using the torch on it later, but what i'm wondering has anyone had this prob before? and do you have any tricks to getting it off? Thanks in advance!

LOL I remember trying to get the compressor housing off of a mitsu turbo. It uses a giant spring clip, and my lord is it hard to get off, even with the right tool. LOL

I think you should take off the compressor housing and then put it in a 500*F oven. It might be safer than putting a consentrated 2500*F flame on the housing.

Just spray it down with some stuff to loosen it up and wait.....try it every once in a while, but it'll just happen on its own. Becareful not to strip any of the turbine housing holes otherwise you'll be retapping them as well.

A turbine housing can handle plenty of heat. as long as he doesnt use a cutting tip on the torch..

If you have any experience with a torch, other than cutting, use oxyacetylene and a tulip tip. MAPP gas will probably work also.

Also, you may find a dead-blow hammer extremely usefull.

So last night we sprayed the crap outta it with the liquid wrench and hit it with a rubber mallett, still no luck on getting it to move. So it would be ok for us to use the torch on it ? I'll give it a shot later this afternoon.

yes, heat is fine. Just dont use a cutting tip, and you'd be amazed how much help a dead-blow is.

The turbin housing would most likely see a max egt of 1600*F. This heat would be dispursed over a large, even area. While im not saying it cant handle more, im saying you'll reduce the chance of it cracking if you put it in an oven or something of that nature. Because when cast iron is unevenly heated, it can cause it to warp and crack. Thats why I would advise you not to use a torch. Cast iron is pretty picky about thermal expansion.

Take your time, it will come off.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back