The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Stock rods and forged pistons

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

96-talon

Probationary Member
Sep 27, 2011
Lemoore, California
Can I get a set of forged pistons the will work on my stock rods??

Are what's a good set pistons that will!!

In my honest opinion, if you are going to get forged pistons you may as well get the insurance of stronger rods.

This may be a silly question but why are you swapping out the pistons. If they need to replaced of course go for it but if not id invest the money elsewhere.

Depending on the power you plan on making Manley H beam "economy" rods are great, decent price and will support 700hp all day. I've got a few friends who run them in their daily drivers, myself included... But for mad power the I beams are around $800 and support well over 1000hp. And for pistons CP is the best IMO.

i do know manley rods are a good choice but what do you think about the eagle rods, and yea if your doing the pistons then you should get rods as well.

Can I get a set of forged pistons the will work on my stock rods??
If you're planning on using these in your 2G, you'd actually be better off using stronger rods with the stock pistons as the pistons are definitely NOT the weak link on that engine.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

IMO. Take it as you will - but the shop I work for only suggests manley due to the fact they are lighter more balanced & come with a better finishing machining wise of the eagles plus gives a more precise balance!... Eagles are forged were as manley are actual billet steel. manley hold more power for a longer time. yea you can say you hit over 800hp with eagle H beam "but for how long?". . Manley H beams - all day

IMO. Take it as you will - but the shop I work for only suggests manley due to the fact they are lighter more balanced & come with a better finishing machining wise of the eagles plus gives a more precise balance!... Eagles are forged were as manley are actual billet steel. manley hold more power for a longer time. yea you can say you hit over 800hp with eagle H beam "but for how long?". . Manley H beams - all day

What shop do you work for? Agreed on all points except one. The Eagle and Manley are both forged. The Manley H beam is not billet. Even the Manley and Oliver I-beams which are advertised as billet are not. It's all marketing.

To the OP, think about saving some more $$ and getting a set of Manley or Eagle rods to go with the pistons. If you're pushing the limits of the stock pistons, or plan to in the future, you will appreciate the increased reliability of a set of good rods.

I ran 1g rods je pistons for years, hard, on about 420 hp, it all depends on your hp goals

This may be a silly question but why are you swapping out the pistons. If they need to replaced of course go for it but if not id invest the money elsewhere.

Got no compresion on cyl 3 got bad rings cars got 146,000 and stock bottom end with a 16 g

If you're planning on using these in your 2G, you'd actually be better off using stronger rods with the stock pistons as the pistons are definitely NOT the weak link on that engine.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So I going pull my head tonight going see how it looks any small stuff I can do while i got it apart ?? Need some pointers not going for crazy power plan to run 15 psi Daliy

Depending on the power you plan on making Manley H beam "economy" rods are great, decent price and will support 700hp all day. I've got a few friends who run them in their daily drivers, myself included... But for mad power the I beams are around $800 and support well over 1000hp. And for pistons CP is the best IMO.

I'm going to disagree with you on CP pistons being the best (for a 4G63 at least).

Have you ever read this thread?
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyl...89143-cp-stocking-pistons-has-major-flaw.html

To the OP, if you're only planning on running 15psi don't even waste your time with forged pistons. Buy a set of NPR cheapo OEM replacements off ebay or parts dinosaur and do a standard stock rebuild. The stock shit is going to put up with whatever you throw at it with only 15psi of boost. Or see if you can find a decent stock bottom end 6 bolt for cheap and swap it in.

I'm going to disagree with you on CP pistons being the best (for a 4G63 at least).

Have you ever read this thread?
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyl...89143-cp-stocking-pistons-has-major-flaw.html

To the OP, if you're only planning on running 15psi don't even waste your time with forged pistons. Buy a set of NPR cheapo OEM replacements off ebay or parts dinosaur and do a standard stock rebuild. The stock shit is going to put up with whatever you throw at it with only 15psi of boost. Or see if you can find a decent stock bottom end 6 bolt for cheap and swap it in.

Sorry for the noob question, but does this mean that you can slap an
FP 68HTA turbo on your DSM and keep it at/below 15psi without putting forged pistons, rods, etc. on?

Sorry for the noob question, but does this mean that you can slap an
FP 68HTA turbo on your DSM and keep it at/below 15psi without putting forged pistons, rods, etc. on?

You absolutely could. Stock internals are extremely strong, I can't think of a single turbo that could surpass the limits of the stock engine's rods and pistons at 15psi, LOL.

- Jon

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back