The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Valve, and valve seat cleaning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stGENracer

20+ Year Contributor
Sep 10, 2002
Lewiston, Idaho
Ok, I'm replacing my valve seals right now, and the head is off the block.

I wanted to clean up the valves and the valve seats a little, they aren't to bad, but they are dirty.

What do you guys suggest doing? I don't really want to take it into a shop right now as I am low on $ because I lost my job.

Any help would be appreciated.

I would just dip them in pats cleaner for a couple of hrs., you can get it at just about any auto parts store, should be around $20, then wipe them down and possibly take and buff them with a dremel tool or drill just use a low speed.

sorry to bring back an old thread but didn't think i should start a new one. I have a new head that has a lot of carbon build up on the valve that I want to get rid of. I don't want to take the head apart so any body got any other ideas? what I was planning on doing is getting some seafoam making sure the valves are closed and just pouring it in the combustion chamber and letting it soak then taking some sort of brush (maybe on my dremel) and taking the rest of that way.

does that sound like a good plan or does anyone have a better way to go about it.

Oven cleaner... not joking. I put them on a peice of wood, spray them down with oven cleaner and let them sit over night. I then use a angle die grinder with a scotch brite pad bit and clean them up night a purdy. I've done this to 3 heads now and never had a problem.

sorry after posting this i seen you dont wanna remove the valve. the seafoam might work but it wont "eat" the carbon off. You'd need to find something thats hard enough to scrap the crabon off but soft enough not to hurt the alumin. head

well i went ahead and took the valves out. I have yet to try the oven cleaner but i heard somewhere on here that pb blaster works. I let it sit overnight but it didnt seem to work that well.

here's what one of them looks like after sitting over night. is this to far gone? or can it be saved. oh yeah thats the exhaust too

Attachments

• IMG00028-20101219-0325.jpg
    IMG00028-20101219-0325.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 687
REpalce them. I have a good set of stock valves if you want to buy them from me. CHEAP!

Yeah just buy some new ones, or even a good set of used ones. That thing looks like it has been hit with bbs or something...

Well I don't have a bench grinder but I do have a dremel so ill just use that. I wish I could afford to buy some new valves or even used but money is really tight. Oh and that's just carbon on the exhaust valve. The intakes are nothing like that. ill keep you guys posted

well guys the PB blaster didn't work so I decided to try sanding it off. I used my dremel sanding roller till I got the majority off then I hit it with a 220 finishing buffing pad and ended with a 320 grit. I ended up with what you see and I've only done one so far. Just wanted to get opinions if I did something I shouldn't have. There are no rough edges and everything is pretty smooth. I've never worked on the head before so I don't know what to look for. If I did good ill finish the other ones this way.

Attachments

• IMG00038-20101220-1958.jpg
    IMG00038-20101220-1958.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 521
Ill give that a try since I have some at home but I honestly don't think anything short of Grinding it off will work.

If I had the resources to glass bead trust me I would but I Just a lonely ol backyard wrench LOL I went ahead and did the sanding process and the lapped them. Only two of the exhaust valves didn't seat good. So I might just replace those.

Not really , I only spent about 2 hours cleaning them. that's intake and exhaust and lapping them. So I think my time was well spent. Besides I wouldve just been playing halo reach LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back