The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

Need help car running rich!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarest_90_DsM

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 21, 2004
akron, Ohio
So i just bought a 95 talon tsi it has a problem though. If you start it and drive it it runs fine, but if you start it and let it idle or stop at a stop light to long, it will keep running richer and richer till it fouls the plugs and just shuts down. its all stock besides a front mount and a 14b. Ive checked the coil put new plugs wires in it ngk bpr7es new 02 new maf checked all vac lines and boost leaks. the ecu wont throw a check engine code either you can unplug any sensor you want. could it be a ecu? or the fpr? HELP:confused: cant figure this one out

might be a long shot but maybe the fpr is stuck closed, also bpr7es is for more grueling driving situation like hella boost or always on boost type driving bpr6es's are a good normal driving plug, but :confused: are you sure it dont have a bigger fuel pump, that could be another reason.

it may have a bigger pump but im not sure ? ive just never seen slowly load up like this?

found wht looks like a burn under one of the caps on my ecu check it out. What do you guys think

Attachments

• SDC10140.jpg
    SDC10140.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 313
  • SDC10141.jpg
    SDC10141.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 290
  • SDC10144.jpg
    SDC10144.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 293
check your mass air flow sensor. if it's just dumping gas, then it may be an maf problem.

first thing is check the ecu harness. make sure everything is cool. then try swapping maf.

edit:whoops sorry, didnt see you swapped out the maf. yeah, check the harness to make sure theres no disconnected wires.

im gonna put the ecu back in tomorrow and check all the leads to the maf! i actually swapped a brand new maf in and it did the same thing, but since that cost as much as the car new i took that back and opted for a good used one at 1% the price of the new one LOL.

i usually mess with 1g it just makes me mad i cant adjust the timing on this thing any other idea though?

guy told me today that it could be the water temp sensor making it run this way is that possable?

ok so today i ruled out the maf wiring the maf the coil the coolant temp sensor the o2 sensor the map sensor and the tps sensor :confused: all checked fine any help will be appreciated im gonna check the cas and the crank position sensor tomorrow other than that i cant think of anything else. PLEASE HELP :pray:

i dought its the fuel pump i have been running my walbro 255 for a little while with no FPR ( i have FFWD fuel kit just lazy) and it wont even make it close to running that rich

after 6 months of trying to figure out why my car ran so rich, and why it would sputter after 4k, i found out that the temp sensor that goes to the ecu was reading -4 degrees. and my afr's were in the 9's

checked the fuel pump its stock. I sent some picture to ecm tuning of the ecu he said the caps have a little leakage goin on, so im gonna send them the ecu and have them repair it if that dosent work im at a total loss LOL

they charge a rate of i think $13 for every ten minutes of work and they did 40 minutes of work to mine witch was $52 dollars plus shipping each way. They are very informative and keep u updated through the whole process. I would send another ecu to them in a heartbeat. You should open up your ecu and send them some pics first they can tell you if you have leakage or not just from the pics thats what i did. i think it was about 2 days to ship there they had it for a day and a half and 2 days back so almost a week

ECMTuning, Inc.

Hey, I just bought a 98 talon tsi with 60,000. The car had been running good for the first couple weeks, but now at idle it seems to be running very rich, as I can smell fuel, while sitting in the cab, and the car is idling. The car is completely stock except for a k&n filter and a small filter off the pcv. I have read on forums that it could be 02 sensors, maf, or fuel pressure regulator. I really don't want to replace all these parts as trial and error if there is a test i can do to isolate the problem.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back