The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

clutch spline grease

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newTSIguy

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 14, 2008
Monroe, Washington
Ok, how important is the clutch spline grease, i just did a clutch on my 92 talon AWD, and I never put the clutch spline grease on, do i have to drop the tranny and lube that up, or is it something i can live with out, thanks in advance

It can work without it but I have seen a clutch disc stick to a input shaft and cause disengagement problems. If it is working then roll with it, but if the clutch begins to have difficulties disengaging then I would hands down drop the trans and inspect the output shaft and clutch disc then lube it up.

Never even heard of doing such a thing, good way to splatter grease all over your clutch.

Never even heard of doing such a thing, good way to splatter grease all over your clutch.

Standing procedure for replacing a clutch on a manual transmission. The input shaft of the transmission should be lubricated before installation in the vehicle. Excessive amounts of grease should not be used.

People that don't grease the shaft will either eventually experience engagement issues or it will be a HUGE pita to remove the pieces the next time it's taken apart.

I bought a big can of automotive grease (few bucks at walmart, this stuff but in a 1lb can)and I use it on all my bushings, wheel bearings, axle splines and the trans shaft.

FYI -- The only parts you should be greasing is the clutch fork (clutch fork pivot ball detent, and the ears that the TOB pivots on), the Input Shaft Retainer Sleeve (surface that the TOB rides on), and the TOB inner bearing surface. You should not put any sort of grease or lubricant on your input shaft. If it is all dirty and crappy beforehand, clean the splines, check for straightness and no damage, and have it CLEAN. Then install your clutch/flywheel assembly using an alignment tool, and install the transmission.

You do NOT use any sort of lubricant on the Input Shaft Splines. This can cause premature wear or spline damage. (This is what I see when I pull transmissions apart regularly).

The Factory Service Manual does recommend using a small amount of multi-purpose grease on the clutch disk splines and to use a brush and work it into the splines, then to remove any excess grease from the hub. If you use it, please, only use a very small amount.

The clutch is not going to sieze to the input shaft unless you are keeping your inspection plate off the car and going through lakes, submerging the clutch assembly in water, or driving in winter through salt and snow with the plate off.

This really was more work than it is worth... but Mr. Zimmer please read the following:

Page 6-3 in "Lubricants" and 6-21 "Service Points of Installation" #2 of:
http://lilevo.com/mirage/89 Colt Summit Mirage Turbo Factory Manual .PDF/6 - Clutch.pdf

This is out of the manual for '89 Turbo Colts. Page 6-3 lists the lubricant used. #2 of SPOI tells the technician to lubricate the clutch disc splines and input shaft splines. Whether you lube one or the other or both the same thing is achieved: there is grease on the input shaft and clutch disc splines.

Page 6-3 in "Lubricants" and 6-18 "Application of Grease to Clutch Disc/ Clutch Cover Assembly" #1 of:
http://lilevo.com/mirage/90-91 Talon Laser Vol 1 EngChasBody Service Manual .PDF/90-91ECB.PDF

This is the ECB manual for 1g's. Page 6-3 lists the lubricant for the clutch disc splines. The other item tells the technician to brush grease onto the clutch disc splines. Now this is not the input shaft to the transmission but it would be splitting hairs to say that greasing the input shaft is incorrect because if there is grease on the clutch disc splines then it will certainly be on the input shaft.

Unfortunately lilevo's 2g manual is not complete and I cannot provide a link for scanned images of the clutch service procedure for a 2g clutch. I have a '89 Colt. The OP has a '92 Talon. According to the manuals from the factory the input shaft/clutch disc splines are to be greased on mine and the OP's vehicles.

Well, I appreciate that you did the work, as I usually do this for nearly every post I put up on here to help people. Thank you.

I know Jason Tanin well, as well as his cars since he lives close by me and have been around long enough to remember the original lilevo he put together.

I will read them right now. As for the rest of the service manuals, I have many in .pdf form, so I will check. I did not have the 1989 Colt turbo FSM, so thank you!.

Yes, I can see that these FSM's tell you that, and I went back to my other FSM's concerning DSM's and they ALSO state to use a multi-purpose grease and to put a small amount on the clutch disk splines and to use a brush and work it into the complete portion of the splines. It also recommends to remove any excess grease.

Thank you for correcting me.

This really was more work than it is worth... but Mr. Zimmer please read the following:

Page 6-3 in "Lubricants" and 6-21 "Service Points of Installation" #2 of:
http://lilevo.com/mirage/89 Colt Summit Mirage Turbo Factory Manual .PDF/6 - Clutch.pdf

This is out of the manual for '89 Turbo Colts. Page 6-3 lists the lubricant used. #2 of SPOI tells the technician to lubricate the clutch disc splines and input shaft splines. Whether you lube one or the other or both the same thing is achieved: there is grease on the input shaft and clutch disc splines.

Page 6-3 in "Lubricants" and 6-18 "Application of Grease to Clutch Disc/ Clutch Cover Assembly" #1 of:
http://lilevo.com/mirage/90-91 Talon Laser Vol 1 EngChasBody Service Manual .PDF/90-91ECB.PDF

This is the ECB manual for 1g's. Page 6-3 lists the lubricant for the clutch disc splines. The other item tells the technician to brush grease onto the clutch disc splines. Now this is not the input shaft to the transmission but it would be splitting hairs to say that greasing the input shaft is incorrect because if there is grease on the clutch disc splines then it will certainly be on the input shaft.

Unfortunately lilevo's 2g manual is not complete and I cannot provide a link for scanned images of the clutch service procedure for a 2g clutch. I have a '89 Colt. The OP has a '92 Talon. According to the manuals from the factory the input shaft/clutch disc splines are to be greased on mine and the OP's vehicles.

I will poke one hole in my own work: the 1g ECB manual I listed says on the front cover that it is specifically for '90-'91 and the OP has a '92. Lilevo's '92-'94 manual is also incomplete.

You can take that however you want. The sliding of a clutch disc on an input shaft is going to be the same action no matter the year of the car, there is going to be constant contact and friction between two steel surfaces. Unless I find or am shown somewhere in an FSM that we are to not grease these points of contact I am going to continue greasing them.

I will poke one hole in my own work: the 1g ECB manual I listed says on the front cover that it is specifically for '90-'91 and the OP has a '92. Lilevo's '92-'94 manual is also incomplete.

You can take that however you want. The sliding of a clutch disc on an input shaft is going to be the same action no matter the year of the car, there is going to be constant contact and friction between two steel surfaces. Unless I find or am shown somewhere in an FSM that we are to not grease these points of contact I am going to continue greasing them.

That is fine.

I guess that I have my transmission off the car more regularly than most DSM'ers... ROFL ROFL

Just an interesting tidbit I noticed ppl qouting the service manual and I will agree do what the book tells you. However the Quartermaster directions state in bold "DO NOT USE ANTI-SIEZE OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF LUBRICANT ON THE SPLINES OF THE INPUT SHAFT"
This may be specific to Quartermaster twin disc clutches and it may not just sharing the info.

Just an interesting tidbit I noticed ppl qouting the service manual and I will agree do what the book tells you. However the Quartermaster directions state in bold "DO NOT USE ANTI-SIEZE OR ANY OTHER TYPE OF LUBRICANT ON THE SPLINES OF THE INPUT SHAFT"
This may be specific to Quartermaster twin disc clutches and it may not just sharing the info.

As this is the procedure I always follow. If you have a car with alot of HP, running a twin disk clutch, or are pulling your transmission regularly, you should have absolutely no issues with the clutch disk hub splines siezing to your input shaft. Just be sure to keep the input shaft splines clean and inspect them for wear and straightness.

If they are worn, or out of straight, they will destroy any clutch that is put on it sooner or later.

Ok, i want to thank every one for there input on this subject, i am just going to chance it for now, i have bigger fish to fry at the moment, thank you to all of you who responded on this thread,
Kenny--

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back