The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Cheap RWD conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paintball4fun21

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 13, 2006
onalaska, Wisconsin
So i'm converting my extra 95 talon to RWD the cheap way just because I'm bored and have the time to do it...also I want to see how long it will last...ect.....I want to make the rear end stronger also.....Does anyone know where I can get stronger axles and maybe a link to a 4bolt rear end conversion? anything else I would want to make stronger? I already have a TRE spool and 2 broken front axles to plug the front holes(one of the front axles broke and also my wheel bearings are frozen on my rear axles....thus the reason for wanting stronger rear axles..because I will be buying new ones anyway)....any suggestions/help/parts advise would be great......the mods are 1050 injectors, 16g, 255walbro, exhaust, intake, FMIC, dsmlink, act2600, E85 tuned at 24psi

Actually if you weld your center diff, cap off the axles like you say, then your fine. It will be stronger than it was before. I dont think anyone makes stronger rear axles yet, but with the tire spin you should be fine.

Actually if you weld your center diff, cap off the axles like you say, then your fine. It will be stronger than it was before. I dont think anyone makes stronger rear axles yet, but with the tire spin you should be fine.

yea I know a few people who have done this and are on 3000 miles plus with no problems....both are around 300hp..........also Jakes build is pretty sweet

I have heard a lot of people say this is not the best idea as the t-case and rear-end will not hold up. Not sure if any of them actually tried it, but let me know how long it lasts! I was contemplating making some kind of locking mechanism for the front axles to be able to switch it from AWD to RWD by a switch, or pins or something.

We did that to my buddies awd spyder. Pulled out the front axles to make it RWD just to see what it was like. 2 weeks later the rear axles snapped from all the stress and power it was given. And this was only on 300hp. Good luck with it lasting if your using the stock configuration. You better off going with a real rwd conversion and a ford 9" rear.

If you don't weld the center diff, it will try to drive the less resistance located at the missing front axles and the car will surge forward when the viscous center diff locks up. Then almost freewheel for a split second when it cools. It'll feel like an inch worm going down the road until the center diff blows up, which I doubt will take too long under that kind of abuse.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/1478960-post1.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back